Shimano/Campag Crank Compatability

Axeman

Guest
A question for you guru's out there.

Earlier in the year I had an accident with a car whilst riding my Orbea road
bike (not my fault). After much screwing around, I have finally been paid
for the replacement value of the Orbea (frame is cracked, I loved that
frame), plus I get to keep the damaged bike. The bike was running an Ultegra
9spd groupset. The shifters were trashed in the accident, but I have
purchased new Ultegra 10-speed shifters, and the bike already had a 10spd
rear derailler. Most of the groupset survived unscathed as did the wheels.

Anyway, I have obtained from a friend a nice 4 year old Olmo alloy frame,
and was thinking about using the old parts off the Orbea to build the Olmo
into a training bike.

Trouble is that I cannot use the 9spd Ultegra Octalink bottom bracket from
the Orbea, as the Orbea uses an English thread BB whilst the Olmo uses an
Italian thread. What's more, I seem to be having trouble finding a retailer
that has an Octalink BB in Italian thread here in Oztralia, and none of the
usual online retailers in OZ seem to have them either.

So I was thinking of buying a used Campag crank/bottom bracket set (say
Centaur or Chorus level) off Ebay to overcome this problem, or perhaps even
an FSA set. My question is, would a Campag 9 or 10 speed crankset be
compatible with a 10 speed Ultegra shifter/derailler/chain combination? As
it's only going to be a training bike, would prefer not to invest the funds
in a new Ultegra 10spd crank.

Thanks for any advice.

Axeman

Hi Axeman
I've got a couple of lightly used Italian thread Octalink BBs in the loft
and will send one out FOC if you give me an address if that helps.
Also, I run a couple of older Colnago steel frames road bikes with It BBs
and have happily run Ultegra 9sp shifters, mechs etc with an 8sp block and a
Campag Centaur 9sp triple crank. I'm also in the process of changing a 9sp
Dura-ace crankset over to a Campag 10sp compact which seems to work fine.
The new type Campag Ultra Torque compact cranks look rather good and I'll
probably swap the rather old triple crank for one of those soon too.
Be happy to be told otherwise by you Campag experts if this advice is
theoretically wrong but it works for me.....
Neil
news:[email protected]...

Axeman (nospam) wrote:
> A question for you guru's out there.
>
> Earlier in the year I had an accident with a car whilst riding my Orbea road
> bike (not my fault). After much screwing around, I have finally been paid
> for the replacement value of the Orbea (frame is cracked, I loved that
> frame), plus I get to keep the damaged bike. The bike was running an Ultegra
> 9spd groupset. The shifters were trashed in the accident, but I have
> purchased new Ultegra 10-speed shifters, and the bike already had a 10spd
> rear derailler. Most of the groupset survived unscathed as did the wheels.
>
> Anyway, I have obtained from a friend a nice 4 year old Olmo alloy frame,
> and was thinking about using the old parts off the Orbea to build the Olmo
> into a training bike.
>
> Trouble is that I cannot use the 9spd Ultegra Octalink bottom bracket from
> the Orbea, as the Orbea uses an English thread BB whilst the Olmo uses an
> Italian thread. What's more, I seem to be having trouble finding a retailer
> that has an Octalink BB in Italian thread here in Oztralia, and none of the
> usual online retailers in OZ seem to have them either.
>
> So I was thinking of buying a used Campag crank/bottom bracket set (say
> Centaur or Chorus level) off Ebay to overcome this problem, or perhaps even
> an FSA set. My question is, would a Campag 9 or 10 speed crankset be
> compatible with a 10 speed Ultegra shifter/derailler/chain combination?

Yes, no problem..plug and play-