Shimano/Campagnolo compatibility

Bluenose

Guest
Hi there,

I'm looking for some help and opinions on a dilemma I'm facing.

I have a OCR2 with a Tiagra triple group set. I'm looking at upgrading
and have recently bought a Ultegra triple crankset. My next purchases
were going to be a Dura Ace triple RD, a Ultegra triple FD and a set of
Ultegra shifters. I've done some reading of reviews and which have not
painted the Ultegra shifters in a very good light ie multiple failures,
rattling etc.

I know you can mix Campag. with Shimano components but I'm a new kid on
the bloke in regards to cycling and I'm not entirely sure of the
combo's.

I have some questions below and would appreciate your expertise.

If I were to purchase Campag. shifters then will they work with my
Ultegra triple cranks, cassette, and current Tiagra triple FD? If so
then in order for them to work I must buy a Triple/long cage Campag. RD?
Will my Ultegra chain need replacing with a Campag. chain? Do I have buy
9 speed Campag shifters and RD or can I buy a 10 speed? Finally, what's
the honest opinion regarding mixing Shimano/Campag. Is it more hassle
than it's
worth? Will the different components work together smoothly or will
they require constant adjustments and fiddling around?

I look forward to your help or opinions on this topic and I apologise if
it's all been discussed before but as I've mentioned earlier I'm fairly
new to all of this.

Many thanks in advance

"Bluenose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi there,
>
> I'm looking for some help and opinions on a dilemma I'm facing.
>
> I have a OCR2 with a Tiagra triple group set. I'm looking at upgrading
> and have recently bought a Ultegra triple crankset. My next purchases
> were going to be a Dura Ace triple RD, a Ultegra triple FD and a set of
> Ultegra shifters. I've done some reading of reviews and which have not
> painted the Ultegra shifters in a very good light ie multiple failures,
> rattling etc.

With regards to the shifters, the first thing I would consider is which one
you like better. THAT consideration, not failures, rattling,etc. is what I
would look at. Have you tried Campy ergo shifters? Some people don't like
them and prefer Shimano STI.

If you prefer Shimano STI, you may want to consider getting Dura Ace STI
shifter and ultegra or lower everything else. Why? Since you appear to be
concern about things like failure and rattling, Dura Ace is the only Shimano
group that has a 3 year warranty.

> I know you can mix Campag. with Shimano components but I'm a new kid on
> the bloke in regards to cycling and I'm not entirely sure of the
> combo's.
>
> I have some questions below and would appreciate your expertise.
>
> If I were to purchase Campag. shifters then will they work with my
> Ultegra triple cranks, cassette, and current Tiagra triple FD? If so
>then in order for them to work I must buy a Triple/long cage >Campag. RD?

Campy ergo shifters works best with Campy RD.

> Will my Ultegra chain need replacing with a Campag. chain? Do I have buy
> 9 speed Campag shifters and RD or can I buy a 10 speed?

No, I find actually prefer Shimano 9 chain (with Sram powerlink) with my
Campy 9 ergo shifters and Campy 9 RD - why? Shimano 9 chain is narrower and
quieter than Campy C9 chain.

>Finally, what's the honest opinion regarding mixing Shimano/Campag. >Is it

more hassle than it's worth?
Nope.

>Will the different components work together smoothly or will
> they require constant adjustments and fiddling around?

Yes. As I stated above, I use Campy 9 ergo levers, Campy 9 RD, Shimano 9
hub/cassette and Shimano 9 chain. All works well.

Again, if you like Campy ergo shifters do it!

bfd wrote:

> "Bluenose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I'm looking for some help and opinions on a dilemma I'm facing.
> >
> > I have a OCR2 with a Tiagra triple group set. I'm looking at upgrading
> > and have recently bought a Ultegra triple crankset. My next purchases
> > were going to be a Dura Ace triple RD, a Ultegra triple FD and a set of
> > Ultegra shifters. I've done some reading of reviews and which have not
> > painted the Ultegra shifters in a very good light ie multiple failures,
> > rattling etc.
> >

> With regards to the shifters, the first thing I would consider is which one
> you like better. THAT consideration, not failures, rattling,etc. is what I
> would look at. Have you tried Campy ergo shifters? Some people don't like
> them and prefer Shimano STI.
>
> If you prefer Shimano STI, you may want to consider getting Dura Ace STI
> shifter and ultegra or lower everything else. Why? Since you appear to be
> concern about things like failure and rattling, Dura Ace is the only Shimano
> group that has a 3 year warranty.

Thats a very good point regarding Ergo shifters and strangely not one
I'd really taken into much consideration. I guess I was to caught up in
performance etc that I didn't taken into account whether I'd actually
like them. I would like to buy D/A Shifters but they're abit out of my
budget.

> > I know you can mix Campag. with Shimano components but I'm a new kid on
> > the bloke in regards to cycling and I'm not entirely sure of the
> > combo's.
> >
> > I have some questions below and would appreciate your expertise.
> >
> > If I were to purchase Campag. shifters then will they work with my
> > Ultegra triple cranks, cassette, and current Tiagra triple FD? If so
> >then in order for them to work I must buy a Triple/long cage >Campag. RD?

> Campy ergo shifters works best with Campy RD.
>
> > Will my Ultegra chain need replacing with a Campag. chain? Do I have buy
> > 9 speed Campag shifters and RD or can I buy a 10 speed?

> No, I find actually prefer Shimano 9 chain (with Sram powerlink) with my
> Campy 9 ergo shifters and Campy 9 RD - why? Shimano 9 chain is narrower and
> quieter than Campy C9 chain.

Ah, no worries. But do I have to be on the look out purely for 9 speed
Campag. or is 10 speed compatible as well?

> >Finally, what's the honest opinion regarding mixing Shimano/Campag. >Is it

> more hassle than it's worth?
> Nope.
>
> >Will the different components work together smoothly or will
> > they require constant adjustments and fiddling around?
> >

> Yes. As I stated above, I use Campy 9 ergo levers, Campy 9 RD, Shimano 9
> hub/cassette and Shimano 9 chain. All works well.
>
> Again, if you like Campy ergo shifters do it!

Thanks for your quick reply....much appreciated.

Bluenose wrote:
> If I were to purchase Campag. shifters then will they work with my
> Ultegra triple cranks, cassette, and current Tiagra triple FD?

Campag shifters work with ALL cranksets and front derailleurs (although
better with a Campag FD than with an old Shimano in my experience).
Cassette is debateable (either use 9sp Shimano cassette as is or respace
somehow). Note: Campag cassettes don't fit on Shimano hubs.

> If so
> then in order for them to work I must buy a Triple/long cage Campag.
> RD?

Long or medium cage Campag RD would be required.

> Will my Ultegra chain need replacing with a Campag. chain?

No.

> Do I
> have buy 9 speed Campag shifters and RD or can I buy a 10 speed?

10sp can be used with this method:
http://www.hubbub.com/ergoleverswshim9.htm

> Will the different components work together smoothly or will
> they require constant adjustments and fiddling around?

Well, sometimes even all-Campag or all-Shimano requires a certain amount
of hassle to get it setup, so don't worry about that too much if you work
out what could and should work in advance. Constant adjustments shouldn't
be required once it's all done.

~PB

bluenose-<< I have a OCR2 with a Tiagra triple group set. I'm looking at
upgrading
and have recently bought a Ultegra triple crankse >><BR><BR>
<< which have not
painted the Ultegra shifters in a very good light ie multiple failures,
rattling et >><BR><BR>

<< If I were to purchase Campag. shifters then will they work with my
Ultegra triple cranks, cassette, and current Tiagra triple FD? If so
then in order for them to work I must buy a Triple/long cage Campag. RD?
>><BR><BR>

yes and yes..all you would need are 9 or 10s ERGO and a Campagnolo rear der,
preferably a long cage-

9 or 10s ERGO is compatible with shimano 9s cogs, chains, cranks, FD..

Works great, we do it all the time as more and more STI fail.....

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

On Fri, 07 May 2004 01:25:48 GMT, Bluenose <[email protected]>
wrote:

>If I were to purchase Campag. shifters then will they work with my
>Ultegra triple cranks, cassette, and current Tiagra triple FD? If so
>then in order for them to work I must buy a Triple/long cage Campag. RD?
>Will my Ultegra chain need replacing with a Campag. chain? Do I have buy
>9 speed Campag shifters and RD or can I buy a 10 speed? Finally, what's
>the honest opinion regarding mixing Shimano/Campag. Is it more hassle
>than it's
>worth? Will the different components work together smoothly or will
>they require constant adjustments and fiddling around?

Campy Ergo 9 or 10 will shift your Shimano 9sp cassette but you have
to use a Campy rear derailleur. Depending on what size the cogs and
chainrings are, you may need only a standard cage derailleur. The
medium cage model will work for almost anything. You don't have to
change chain. Actually, the 9sp HG chain works best in your
configuration. You can buy Campy ergo and rear derailleur for <$200
in Veloce, which is excellent stuff and similar in the actual purchase
price to Ultegra. Campy rear derailleurs cost more than ShimaNO.

says...

>I know you can mix Campag. with Shimano components but I'm a new kid on
>the bloke in regards to cycling and I'm not entirely sure of the
>combo's.

What you need to remember is that the rear derailleur and the shifter must
be from the same company.
------------
Alex

Bluenose wrote:
> I know you can mix Campag. with Shimano components but I'm a new
> kid on the bloke in regards to cycling and I'm not entirely sure of
> the combo's.
> Many thanks in advance

There is an excellent article on the many methods of mixing Campy ERGO
with Shimano here:

http://www.hearingoffice.com/download/hearing/10_Speed_Conversion_-
screen.pdf

Personally, I just built up a bike using Campy 9sp ERGO shifters & rear
derailleur, and the rest is 9sp Shimano and it works fine.

--

Alex Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> says...
>
> >I know you can mix Campag. with Shimano components but I'm a new kid on
> >the bloke in regards to cycling and I'm not entirely sure of the
> >combo's.

> What you need to remember is that the rear derailleur and the shifter must
> be from the same company.
> ------------
> Alex

I replaced my DA 9 speed front shifter with 10 speed Campy
record---left the rest all Shimano. Love it !! It shifts better
than the DA ever did in my opinion.. I would recomend it to anybody..

The Shimano cassette & derailler with Campy Ergo levers works well
using the method outlined by HubBub.
I also noticed in the latest Santana distribution that they are
offering Campy Ergo levers with XTR rear derailler and DuraAce 10
speed cogset.
Bill must think it works too.
Charlie

cbike-<< I also noticed in the latest Santana distribution that they are
offering Campy Ergo levers with XTR rear derailler and DuraAce 10
speed cogset. >><BR><BR>

Gotta wonder why. The XTR is out of production(assuming it's not 'rising rate'
or 'backfireplus') and also the expense. A long cage Veloce is much cheaper
than XTR...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

On 7 May 2004 15:16:46 -0700, [email protected] (Charlie) wrote:

>The Shimano cassette & derailler with Campy Ergo levers works well
>using the method outlined by HubBub.
>I also noticed in the latest Santana distribution that they are
>offering Campy Ergo levers with XTR rear derailler and DuraAce 10
>speed cogset.
>Bill must think it works too.
>Charlie

That's either ignorance on the Santana's part or a marriage to
Shimano. On a new setup, the Campy, long cage rear derailleurs, have
as much capacity as the XT rear derailleur and you don't have to
monkey around with special cable routing.

I agree, if you already had the Shimano stuff, that using your
existing rear derailleur is beneficial.

> Bluenose wrote:
> > If I were to purchase Campag. shifters then will they work with my
> > Ultegra triple cranks, cassette, and current Tiagra triple FD?
> > If so
> > then in order for them to work I must buy a Triple/long cage Campag.
> > RD?
> > Will my Ultegra chain need replacing with a Campag. chain?
> > Do I
> > have buy 9 speed Campag shifters and RD or can I buy a 10 speed?

> > Will the different components work together smoothly or will
> > they require constant adjustments and fiddling around?

The front derailleur shifter should work with any front derailleurs,
since it is not indexed. I have a Campy front shifter shifting a
shimano mid-end front derailleur for compact chain ring just fine. I
would have gone Campy if possible, but their derailleurs don't work
with my MTB chain ring setup. For the rear, I have ergo 9 controlling
an old Sachs rear derailleur before (7 speed). Though it works 90% of
the time, the odd time would make it skip 1 to 2 gears irritantly!! So
recently, I bought a Campy rear derailleur (Xenon low end model) to
replace the Sachs and the shifting improved dramatically. Now, it
shifts crisply on a 7 speed cogset which is really cool!

By the way, even the lowest end Mirage and Xenon components work so
much better than my used to own Shimano RSX and 105 stuff.

As for adjustments.. As long as you keep it all Campy or all Shimano,
once the adjustments are done, they should stay put. The problem I had
before with mixing Campy Ergo and Shimano rear derailleur was when it
got dirty, the whole setup went out of whack. Using a Campy rear
solved the problem..