Shimano-)Campagnolo?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by HåKan Fremin, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Hi!

    I have a pair of wheels with a Shimano-compatible rear hub that I would like to use with my current
    Campagnolo 10-speed gears. The hubs are built to Zipp 24-hole rims, so finding hubs with Campagnolo
    body has been a bit hard - at least if price is an issue. So it would be interesting to see if the
    current hub could be rebuilt with a Campagnolo-compatible body. It is, as mentioned before, not a
    Shimano hub, but it does use a standard Shimano 8/9-speed body (in much the same way as the Pulstar
    hubs did a few years back). Is there any manufacturer that makes such a body so that I can just
    switch it?

    If there is no such solution - what are your recommendations regarding hubs with 24 holes and
    Campagnolo body? I can get e.g. Tune and American Classic here in Sweden (which are both a bit
    expensive).

    Regards, Håkan Fremin

    Tags:

  2. "Håkan Fremin" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hi!

    > I have a pair of wheels with a Shimano-compatible rear hub that I would like to use with my
    > current Campagnolo 10-speed gears. The hubs are built to Zipp 24-hole rims, so finding hubs with
    > Campagnolo body has been a bit hard - at least if price is an issue. So it would be interesting to
    > see if the current hub could be rebuilt with a Campagnolo-compatible body. It is, as mentioned
    > before, not a Shimano hub, but it does use a standard Shimano 8/9-speed body (in much the same way
    > as the Pulstar hubs did a few years back). Is there any manufacturer that makes such a body so
    > that I can just switch it?

    > If there is no such solution - what are your recommendations regarding hubs with 24 holes and
    > Campagnolo body? I can get e.g. Tune and American Classic here in Sweden (which are both a bit
    > expensive).

    If you can get American Classic products, then you might want to consider the American Classic
    "conversion cassette". It's a Campagnolo 10-speed cassette which is built to fit Shimano 8/9 speed
    freehub bodies. It's not very cheap, but no more expensive than the overpriced Campagnolo 10 speed
    cassettes. Several sprocket combinations are available. Check the following web page for more
    information and related notes:

    -as

  3. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    Wheel Manufacturing make modified Shimano cassettes respaced to Campagnolo 10s spacing. I bought a
    couple to use with some existing Shimano Dura-Ace hubs that I had and they work fine with an
    all-Campagnolo 10s drivetrain. They're not compatible with all hubs, though. See
    http://www.branfordbike.com/cassette/cog9.html for a listing of the cassettes and of the hubs with
    which they are compatible.

    Nick

    "Håkan Fremin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi!
    >
    > I have a pair of wheels with a Shimano-compatible rear hub that I would
    like
    > to use with my current Campagnolo 10-speed gears. The hubs are built to
    Zipp
    > 24-hole rims, so finding hubs with Campagnolo body has been a bit hard -
    at
    > least if price is an issue. So it would be interesting to see if the
    current
    > hub could be rebuilt with a Campagnolo-compatible body. It is, as
    mentioned
    > before, not a Shimano hub, but it does use a standard Shimano 8/9-speed
    body
    > (in much the same way as the Pulstar hubs did a few years back). Is there any manufacturer that
    > makes such a body so that I can just switch it?
    >
    > If there is no such solution - what are your recommendations regarding
    hubs
    > with 24 holes and Campagnolo body? I can get e.g. Tune and American
    Classic
    > here in Sweden (which are both a bit expensive).
    >
    > Regards, Håkan Fremin

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Håkan Fremin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi!
    >
    > I have a pair of wheels with a Shimano-compatible rear hub that I would
    like
    > to use with my current Campagnolo 10-speed gears. The hubs are built to
    Zipp
    > 24-hole rims, so finding hubs with Campagnolo body has been a bit hard -
    at
    > least if price is an issue. So it would be interesting to see if the
    current
    > hub could be rebuilt with a Campagnolo-compatible body. It is, as
    mentioned
    > before, not a Shimano hub, but it does use a standard Shimano 8/9-speed
    body
    > (in much the same way as the Pulstar hubs did a few years back). Is there any manufacturer that
    > makes such a body so that I can just switch it?
    >
    > If there is no such solution - what are your recommendations regarding
    hubs
    > with 24 holes and Campagnolo body? I can get e.g. Tune and American
    Classic
    > here in Sweden (which are both a bit expensive).

    This isn't very helpful to your exact question I suppose but we recommend Campagnolo Nine where
    wheels need to interchange with other formats, for example where the household owns several Shimano
    products already.

    One solution would be to redo your lever to nine ($30), get a nine cassette for your other
    Campagnolo 10 wheels ($60) and leave your Zipp wheels with the Shimano nine cassette. They will
    shift fine with a Shimano nine cassette and a Campagnolo lever with the nine speed insert.

    Another option is to contact Zipp to see if they offer another body for that hub.

    The expensive way to go is an aftermarket ten cassette for the Shimano nine body. Those are
    a bit dear.

  5. Dianne_1234

    Dianne_1234 Guest

    What kind of hub do you have? For example, some Formula Engineering hubs can be changed.
    http://www.formulahubs.com/ or http://www.formulahubs.com/4SB.html

    "H kan Fremin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi!
    >
    > I have a pair of wheels with a Shimano-compatible rear hub that I would like to use with my
    > current Campagnolo 10-speed gears. The hubs are built to Zipp 24-hole rims, so finding hubs with
    > Campagnolo body has been a bit hard - at least if price is an issue. So it would be interesting to
    > see if the current hub could be rebuilt with a Campagnolo-compatible body. It is, as mentioned
    > before, not a Shimano hub, but it does use a standard Shimano 8/9-speed body (in much the same way
    > as the Pulstar hubs did a few years back). Is there any manufacturer that makes such a body so
    > that I can just switch it?
    >
    > If there is no such solution - what are your recommendations regarding hubs with 24 holes and
    > Campagnolo body? I can get e.g. Tune and American Classic here in Sweden (which are both a bit
    > expensive).
    >
    > Regards, Håkan Fremin

  6. Mike Krueger

    Mike Krueger Guest

    << I have a pair of wheels with a Shimano-compatible rear hub that I would like to use with my
    current Campagnolo 10-speed gears. The hubs are built to Zipp 24-hole rims, so finding hubs with
    Campagnolo body has been a bit hard - at least if price is an issue. So it would be interesting to
    see if the current hub could be rebuilt with a Campagnolo-compatible body. >>

    Wheels Mfg. makes a Campag 10 sp compatible cassette that fits on 8/9 sp Shimano freehub body.
    Follow this link for more info:

    http://www.branfordbike.com/cassette/cog9.html#item1

  7. hakan-<< I have a pair of wheels with a Shimano-compatible rear hub that I would like to use with my
    current Campagnolo 10-speed gears.

    << If there is no such solution - what are your recommendations regarding hubs with 24 holes and
    Campagnolo body

    Wheels manufacturiumg makes a really excellent modified ultegra or DA 9s casette, modified and
    spaced and with 10 cogs-