shimano/campy compatability

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by susanray, Nov 2, 2005.

1. susanray

susanray New Member

Is it possible to put a Raceface or Shimano crankset (tapered) onto a Campy bottom bracket? I need lower gearing on my touring bike and Campy only makes a 30 tooth cog for rear cassette. The smallest ring I can get on my Campy triple crankset it a 26 (Salsa). Any thoughts?

Tags:

2. John M

John M New Member

Short answer is no. There will be those here who say they have done it without problems, but it is not ideal. A Shimano-compatible crank may advance to far onto the spindle, bottom out, and not tighten fully.

I don't have a great suggestion for getting lower than 26/30, which is a pretty low gear and unless you went with the undesirable option of putting mountain bike components on the road bike, you won't get too much lower, even with Shimano cassette.

3. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

a 74 BCD for the granny as used on current campy triples will take a 24 ring.Otherwise, use a proper BB with a shimano compact MTB crank and get an even smaller granny.

4. Adam-from-SLO

Adam-from-SLO New Member

Ditto to what everyone else said.
    Also, you could get rid of the Campy BB , and go with a Crank/BB of Shimano or Race-face ......