Shimano/Campy mix

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Paul Westall, Apr 29, 2003.

  1. Paul Westall

    Paul Westall Guest

    I', sure this has been discussed before, but can I use recent Campy shifters and deraileurs with
    shimano chain rings and rear sprockets (assuming both are recent, not vintage)? TIA Paul

    Tags:

  2. K. B. Rook

    K. B. Rook Guest

    9 speed yes, 8 speed no.

    Paul Westall wrote:

    > I', sure this has been discussed before, but can I use recent Campy shifters and deraileurs with
    > shimano chain rings and rear sprockets (assuming both are recent, not vintage)? TIA Paul

  3. Jay

    Jay Guest

    Some people seem to think that it works, but in fact if you want precision shifting it does not work
    that great. You will end up with about 2mm of error in the derailleur tracking. Your jockey pulleys
    really get a workout with the misalignment!

    I know of a new device coming out in about 3 weeks. It mounts on the back of the derailleur and is
    designed to solve this problem. It sells for about $35.00

    There are three models that each can be used for a total of 5 combinations. This is the list.

    Model 1 Campy shifters, derailleur, Shimano Wheels or Shimano shifters, derailleur and a
    Campy wheel.

    Model 2 Campy 9sp shifters, Shimano 9sp derailleur and wheel or Shimano 9sp shifters, Campy
    derailleur and Wheel.

    Model 3 Campy 10sp shifters, Shimano 9sp derailleur and wheel. (Only indexes 9 of the 10 in
    the shifts)

    Future model for combining Campy 10sp and Shimano 10sp.

    It's made by a small company called Jtek Engineering and http://www.hedcycling.com/ will be having
    them to sell on their web site soon. I believe they are going to be called ShiftMates.

    I have been testing them for a couple of months and they work fantastic! They make the derailleur
    track perfectly and they are small and easy to install.

    Jay

    "K. B. Rook" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > 9 speed yes, 8 speed no.
    >
    > Paul Westall wrote:
    > >
    > > I', sure this has been discussed before, but can I use recent Campy
    shifters
    > > and deraileurs with shimano chain rings and rear sprockets (assuming
    both
    > > are recent, not vintage)? TIA Paul

  4. pwestall-<< but can I use recent Campy shifters and deraileurs with shimano chain rings and rear
    sprockets (assuming both are recent, not vintage)?

    yes for 9s, spacers required for 8s, probably for 10s in 2004...

  5. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On 30 Apr 2003 12:42:07 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

    >Nice pitch for what you are selling but we put Campagnolo 9s stuff with shimano 9s cogsets and vice
    >versa all the time and it works just fine.

    I ride both Campy 9 and Shimano 9 cassettes with Ergo 9. I cannot tell which is in place when
    riding. I have them set so I can just change wheels w/o fooling with adjusting deralleur stops or
    cable tension. The difference is that it takes a bit more care in adjusting tension initially.

  6. > pwestall-<< but can I use recent Campy shifters and deraileurs with shimano chain rings and rear
    > sprockets (assuming both are recent, not vintage)?

    Peter pessimistically predicted:

    > yes for 9s, spacers required for 8s, probably for 10s in 2004...

    Of course we'd all be amazed if you didn't expect the worst from Shimano, but, assuming that they're
    going to stick with 130 mm spacing and a chain that's going to work with standard chainrings, there
    isn't a heckova lot of space to play with.

    As a result, it would be hard for Shimano to make the spacing incompatible (assuming they
    wanted to.)

    Sheldon "A Little Alliteration" Brown +-----------------------------------------------+
    | Earth is the cradle of the mind. | But one can not stay in the cradle forever. | -- Konstantin
    | Tsiolkovsky |
    +-----------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  7. Tim Howe

    Tim Howe Guest

    "Paul Westall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I', sure this has been discussed before, but can I use recent Campy shifters and deraileurs with
    > shimano chain rings and rear sprockets (assuming both are recent, not vintage)? TIA Paul

    Apparently Campy 9's and Shimano 9's work more or less

    On my road bike I have Campy 9's shifters driving a shimano 8's drivetrain. You need to route
    the cable kinda funny at the RD, but it works great. There are instructions online on how to do
    this (but admittidly I can't find them right now) or just email me directly and I can walk you
    through it.

    cheers

    -Tim

  8. Eddiefel

    Eddiefel Guest

    Paul Westall wrote:

    > I', sure this has been discussed before, but can I use recent Campy
    shifters
    > and deraileurs with shimano chain rings and rear sprockets (assuming both are recent, not
    > vintage)? TIA Paul

    Yes. I run bikes with 8 speed and 9 speed Campy shifting with Shimano cassettes; one bike with
    Dura-Ace 9 crankset, 8-speed Campy shifters & rear der, respaced 8 speed Shimano cassette. Haven't
    tried Campy 10 shiftes (nor DA10 shifters -- just one guy gets those right now.)

    Quick summary: 9 speed: Campy 9 shifters and Campy derailleur will acceptably shift a standard
    Shimano 9 cassette without modification. Replacing the first two loose spacers near the small end of
    the cogset with Campy spacers will make it work even better. Otherwise one cog tends to hang a bit
    when shifting. For best operation use a Shimano 9 chain.

    8 speed: Use Shimano cassettes that disassemble (non-spider types) & replace the 5 loose spacers
    with Wheels Mfg. kit or Campy spacers. 8 speed chain just fine, I use SRAM.

    Finally, 7 speed HG Shimano cassettes are spaced to the same 5.0mm spacing as Campy 8. Folks say
    they work great unmodified. I haven't tried it yet though.

  9. I wrote:
    > Of course we'd all be amazed if you didn't expect the worst from Shimano, but, assuming that
    > they're going to stick with 130 mm spacing and a chain that's going to work with standard
    > chainrings, there isn't a heckova lot of space to play with.

    Peter responded:

    > Why I said 'probably'...lots of things to be pessimistic about with shimano, seen the 2003
    > XTR levers?

    Yes, I think they're fabulous!

    > Or rapid rise road rear der? but I too think that 10s shimano and Campagnolo will be compatible.

    I consider low-normal ("Rapid Rise" in Shimanospeak) to be a superior system, always have. Took me a
    long time to adapt to high-normal back in the early '60s.

    Sheldon "De Gustibus" Brown +-------------------------------------------------+
    | What is good for you is what is good for you. | --Peter Chisholm |
    +-------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  10. Matt J

    Matt J Guest

    "Paul Westall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I', sure this has been discussed before, but can I use recent Campy shifters and deraileurs with
    > shimano chain rings and rear sprockets (assuming both are recent, not vintage)? TIA Paul

    Clearly no one else on this ng has done proper research regarding this subject. When Shimano and
    Campy are mixed improperly, a great amount of energy can be produced: similar to a mixture of
    matter/antimatter. If done incorrectly, you may blow your bike into a million carbon-titanium
    smithereens and emit dangerous gamma rays. However, if you tune everything just right, it's like
    having a Shimangolo propulsion system, and you'll beat everyone in the next club sprint. Beats
    Biopace anyday. Matt