Shimano Cassette on Campag Wheels?

Frenchy

Jan 15, 2004
Hi,

A friend of mine currently owns a pair of Campag Eurus wheels and is shortly due to take delivery of a Litespeed Siena with probably a Shimano Ultegra groupset. Question is, and I apologise in advance if this is a stupid question, can he purchase an additional Shimano cassette to fit to the Eurus wheels so he can continue to use them on the Siena?! There is obviously some difference in the builds of Shimano and Campag wheels, hence manufacturers offering the two different types, but is it such a big difference that they cannot be retro-fitted on to a bike using the opposite groupset?

Si

Originally posted by Frenchy
Hi,

A friend of mine currently owns a pair of Campag Eurus wheels and is shortly due to take delivery of a Litespeed Siena with probably a Shimano Ultegra groupset. Question is, and I apologise in advance if this is a stupid question, can he purchase an additional Shimano cassette to fit to the Eurus wheels so he can continue to use them on the Siena?! There is obviously some difference in the builds of Shimano and Campag wheels, hence manufacturers offering the two different types, but is it such a big difference that they cannot be retro-fitted on to a bike using the opposite groupset?

Si
He can't just stick a shimano cassette on a campy free sub since the spline patterns are different. Current campy wheels are offered with campy or shimano compatible freehub bodies, so it possible to switch them. Check www.branfordbike.com and campy hubs for parts.

Thanks for the reply. Looks hopeful so will see whether the mech at the lbs is willing to rebuild his wheels for him!

1. You can't run shimano cassettes on campag freehubs and vice versa.

2. You can buy a new freehub for the Eurus wheels but they cost heaps and then you have to buy a spare shimano cassette as well.

3. the alternative is to buy a campag splined cogset with spacers to fit shimano spacing. Marchisio make kits to do these conversions campag to shimano and vice versa.

I've got the reverse problem, I've got Protons with a shimano freehub and when i went to buy a new campag freehub i almost had a heart attack at the cost. It was like $200 AU and the wheels were only $700. So i'm buying the converter kit.