Shimano cassette on Campy wheel

::dom::

Feb 28, 2004
I know a few manufacturers make a conversion cassette that allows a Campy drivetrain on Shimano wheels but is there one vice versa?

::dom:: said:
I know a few manufacturers make a conversion cassette that allows a Campy drivetrain on Shimano wheels but is there one vice versa?

Modern Campagnolo hubs and wheels(also Fulcrum) can have their freehub swapped to a 'alternative'(shimano/sram) compatible freehub so you can run shimano/sram cogsets on your Campag wheel/hub and shimano drivetrain.

See a decent bike shop that 'qui si parla Campagnolo'.

Peter@vecchios said:
Modern Campagnolo hubs and wheels(also Fulcrum) can have their freehub swapped to a 'alternative'(shimano/sram) compatible freehub so you can run shimano/sram cogsets on your Campag wheel/hub and shimano drivetrain.

See a decent bike shop that 'qui si parla Campagnolo'.

Thanks Peter@vecchios. I have Campy Neutrons (with a record cassette) that I want to swap on to a Shimano equipped bike... Are Shimano freehubs available for these... the nearest bike shop is 5000km away :( ... I may as well go to Italy to find one that speaks Campy. :)

Any other fixes... that I can buy online... I do most of my own wrenching.

Thanks Peter@vecchios. I have Campy Neutrons (with a record cassette) that I want to swap on to a Shimano equipped bike... Are Shimano freehubs available for these... the nearest bike shop is 5000km away :( ... I may as well go to Italy to find one that speaks Campy. :)

Check out the Park Tool website. I'm not sure but I believe they have a do-it-yourself on freehub changing. May be useful to you.

Camilo said:
Check out the Park Tool website. I'm not sure but I believe they have a do-it-yourself on freehub changing. May be useful to you.
....on my way there.......... will report back.

....on my way there.......... will report back.
Nope! Lots of stuff on hubs and freewheels fitting, servicing etc but couldn't find anything on fitting a Shimano cassette on a Campy hub...

Anyone got a solution?

Anyone know where to get a campy/fulcrum shimano freehub? I'm abotu to do the same thing with a pair of zondas (and give them to my girlfriend)

Yes they are, the freehub that will accept a shimano cassette. Where are ya? I'll send ya one. Just need a credit card and address.

Nope! Lots of stuff on hubs and freewheels fitting, servicing etc but couldn't find anything on fitting a Shimano cassette on a Campy hub...

Anyone got a solution?
Sorry, I thought you were looking for information on how to replace the campy freehub with a shimano freehub. There is a page that tells you how to take them off anyway, all you'd need is the new freehub....

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=118

Camilo said:
Sorry, I thought you were looking for information on how to replace the campy freehub with a shimano freehub. There is a page that tells you how to take them off anyway, all you'd need is the new freehub....

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=118

And Park site not really accurate. 5mm allen in the drive side axle end, 17mm open end wrench on the axle end flats..LEFT THREADED(Righty-loosey)...Remove axle end, freehub slides off. DO NOT grease pawls..oil them. Pawls are held on with a spring, they won't fall out like the older(1998 and older) ones. shimano freehub body is 'plug and play', install, shimano cogset on, adjust RD, go ride.

Peter@vecchios said:
And Park site not really accurate. 5mm allen in the drive side axle end, 17mm open end wrench on the axle end flats..LEFT THREADED(Righty-loosey)...Remove axle end, freehub slides off. DO NOT grease pawls..oil them. Pawls are held on with a spring, they won't fall out like the older(1998 and older) ones. shimano freehub body is 'plug and play', install, shimano cogset on, adjust RD, go ride.
Thanks Camio, Peter@
Just let me get this clear. All I need to do is buy a Shimano Freehub Body and remove the Campy one. There's no need to worry about the size of pawls or threads etc... campy off Shimano on... right?

Thanks Camio, Peter@
Just let me get this clear. All I need to do is buy a Shimano Freehub Body and remove the Campy one. There's no need to worry about the size of pawls or threads etc... campy off Shimano on... right?

Well, the shimano compatible freehub body made by Campagnolo. Not a shimano made freehub body.

Peter@vecchios said:
Well, the shimano compatible freehub body made by Campagnolo. Not a shimano made freehub body.
So, how much do the Campy-made Shimano-compatible freehub bodies cost?

Is the axle size the same on the older, steel axles from the 90s as on the recent/current axles -- that is, is the fit universal on all Campy hubs?

Peter@vecchios said:
Ahhh... gotcha! How much with shipping to Fiji? <--- now you know why I can't just pop down to the LBS :)

what sort of lock ring do you need to use? Standard campy lock ring (which are size specific to your cassette...) or a shimano made lock ring?

alfeng said:
So, how much do the Campy-made Shimano-compatible freehub bodies cost?

Is the axle size the same on the older, steel axles from the 90s as on the recent/current axles -- that is, is the fit universal on all Campy hubs?

The new HG compatible freehub body is for the aluminum axled hubs, but I see the supplier lists one for the steel axle, Centaur/Veloce type hubs as well. All are about $100.

Phill P said:
what sort of lock ring do you need to use? Standard campy lock ring (which are size specific to your cassette...) or a shimano made lock ring?

Since for shimano the lockring comes with the cassette, a shimano lockring.

Peter@vecchios said:
The new HG compatible freehub body is for the aluminum axled hubs, but I see the supplier lists one for the steel axle, Centaur/Veloce type hubs as well. All are about $100.
Thanks for the info ...

OR, should I say "thank goodness I have enough hubs (for the time being) with the freehub spline type(s) that I need!" AND/OR can relace my own wheels -- on the one hand, $100 is reasonable for retrofitting a Record hub ... but, it seems a bit extreme for a Centaur/Veloce hub (IMO).

So, do you happen to know if the axles (steel vs. alloy) actually have a different diameter?

BTW. This is probably of little-or-no interest for most-if-not-all cyclists, but a few years ago when one of the cartridge bearings in an older (circa 1998) Record freehub crapped out [one of the Red Ryder BB-sized bearings in one of the bearing cartridges fractured] & my LBS was clueless about ordering new bearings, I managed to cannibalize a Shimano-compatible 3-pawl freehub from another hub & transplant it onto the older Record hub shell (the ID of the bearings in the freehub matched the axle's diameter ... but, I can imagine ONE reason why there might possibly be two different models even if the axle size is the same). The cobbled-together hub BARELY WORKED, but allowed me to continue to use the hub -- the ratchets were worn just-enough to allow the pawls to flutter past the ratchet's sawteeth otherwise the hub would not have freewheeled (curiosity had made me test fit the Shimano-compatible freehub in a new Campy hub shell to test feasibility of other transplants -- it wasn't -- so, I've been on the look-out for other, comparable options [just in case!]).