Shimano cassette with Campy derailleurs

mikeo

Sep 15, 2003
I was riding a Campagnolo 9 speed bike with a Shimano 9 speed wheel. It seemed to work with maybe some slight extra movement of the lever at times. Does anyone out there have the indexing measurements for the different systems? Should the length of cable pull be an issue as I am using Campag lever and derailleur? What are the different cable pull lengths for each system?

Originally posted by mikeo
I was riding a Campagnolo 9 speed bike with a Shimano 9 speed wheel. It seemed to work with maybe some slight extra movement of the lever at times. Does anyone out there have the indexing measurements for the different systems? Should the length of cable pull be an issue as I am using Campag lever and derailleur? What are the different cable pull lengths for each system?
Campy and Shimano 9 speed cog spacing is different,but close enough that a campy drivetran usually works ok with a shimano 9 cassette and chain, and the other way around. Trying to mix shifters and derailers gets you in deeper do-do except for certain specific exceptions.

I was using shimano 7 speed rsx on my summer road bike. I managed to get campag record 8 speed levers and then changed my front and rear derailers to campag racing t.

Result, excellent gear changes. I especially like the 'clunk' sound when going up and down in the gears.

Michael Anderson
Cheltenham.
uk

Originally posted by anderson
I was using shimano 7 speed rsx on my summer road bike. I managed to get campag record 8 speed levers and then changed my front and rear derailers to campag racing t.

Result, excellent gear changes. I especially like the 'clunk' sound when going up and down in the gears.

Michael Anderson
Cheltenham.
uk
That is because campy 8 speed and shimano 7 speed cog spacing is the same