Shimano catastrophic wheel failures cost team sky

From your link:

120px-Ferrari_wheel_-_Flickr_-_exfordy_%281%29.jpg

Ferrari knock-on wire-spoked wheel
by Italian manufacturer Ruote Borrani, in Milan

120px-Ferrari_wheel_-_Flickr_-_exfordy.jpg

Ferrari knock-on cast wheel
by Italian manufacturer Cromodora, in Brescia

Read your English owner's manuals and service manuals...knock-on's are the correct nomenclature...as is boot, windscreen, wings, bonnet, dynamo, etc.

But honestly, you'll here few Americans saying anything other than 'knock-off's'. A knock-off is a fake, replica, copy to me. And yeah, my friend's F5 Cobra replica has FAKE knock-off Halibrand wheels.

Ok, but I'm not English, I'm American, we don't call our car trunks boots, they are trunks;we don't call our car hoods bonnets, they are hoods; we don't call cigarettes fags either; we don't spell tire tyre. So the old saying is that if in Rome do as the Romans do, I'm in America I do as the Americans do thus the wheel spinner is a knock off which is completely 100% correct in America which is where I live and sleep for the last 63, well knocking on 64 years.

I understand some of our words are bit weird, but you then have to listen to the content of the message and it would become apparent rather quickly that it was either a fake or part of wheel...except most people that are under 50 probably would have no idea what the spinner even was regardless if it was called a spinner, knock off, or knock on. But the one thing you missed in the word of knock off was that the word for the spinner is in two parts KNOCK and OFF, the fake word is one word KNOCKOFF, so reading a content will tell you too which one we are talking about.

I don't have any English repair books anymore I left those too with the TR6, but I had to go to a British car sales parts desk and order one once, we both called it a knock off. Again it doesn't matter if a British book calls it a bonnet or a boot because we would simply say a hood or a trunk. The funny thing is with all this twisting word stuff is if someone didn't know in your country that a boot was a trunk they would think your talking about a boot you wear on your feet! If someone came to our country that didn't know what a trunk was they maybe thinking for either a elephant or a suitcase. Bonnet to an American means something women wear on their heads, but hoods are something that both men and women might wear too. In Britain I might go up to someone and say "give me five" and he might punch me, if I did that in America I would get his hand to slap my hand. If I walked into a British store and asked for a rubber they would hand me an eraser, but in America I would get a condom. A trainer here is a physical fitness person who trains others and not a tennis shoe like Britain says. In America a queen is a man dressed and made up to a women, but in England it's a lady who is the Queen of England.

Anyway this sort of thing goes on and on.

But since I am in America I am correct in using the work knock off in America.

I don't really care what anyone call a knock on wheel system. It does surprise me that it is possible to own a couple of Engrish cars and never heard the term.

Kinda like a rock crusher. Either you were there or ya weren't.

From your link:

But honestly, you'll here few Americans saying anything other than 'knock-off's'. A knock-off is a fake, replica, copy to me. And yeah, my friend's F5 Cobra replica has FAKE knock-off Halibrand wheels.

I've heard Cobra replica folks call them "knock offs," and F5 even advertises them as Halibrand Replica wheels with "knock-offs. Campy is of course correct, that the actual term is knock on; but you can look all over and see it referred to as knock off design. http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/17-x-9-vintage-halibrand-replica-wheels/ Since, you still have lug nuts, and not true center lock wheels, I'm not sure that they would meet the definition of knock on wheels. My italian neighbors would call them fugazi.

Here is a reference in Road & Track to knock-off wheels:http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28133/lost-art-the-smiting-of-the-knockoffs/ It does mention the weird issue of reverse threads on the passenger side, so its similar to spinning on pedals in terms of not trashing your threads by trying to go righty-tighty on the wrong side.

Freaking Philistines. It's funny, they are coming back in some sense. I have Center Locks on my 911 GTS. Simply means I'm screwed if I'm not near a Porsche dealer; and it's an extra tool you need to have for a track day; and need to get the torque right since its the only thing holding your wheel on.

But again, none of this conversation is making me feel any juices going to buying or restoring a vintage British car.

AFAIK only the Brits refer to them as knock ons. Froze can be forgiven for not knowing the terminology as long as he forever steers clear of owning another British sports car...hardly a problem.

A German would use a fourteen syllable word that sounded like a repeated sneeze crossed with a holy roller speaking in tongues.

While the Brits were smart enough to use a $20 brass, bronze or lead hammer, the Churmans required the use of a $300 custom socket attached to a $1000 torque wrench or a calibrated torque-limited air wrench! LOL!

images

And no, none of us are dumb enough to go all resto on a rotted out Morgan +4!

AFAIK only the Brits refer to them as knock ons.

While the Brits were smart enough to use a $20 brass, bronze or lead hammer, the Churmans required the use of a $300 custom socket attached to a $1000 torque wrench +4!
I've never serviced my own wheels on a 911 with center locks. Talk about a solution in search of a problem. They do look cool

Attachments

• IMG_2436.JPG
    IMG_2436.JPG
    406.5 KB · Views: 21
I don't really care what anyone call a knock on wheel system. It does surprise me that it is possible to own a couple of Engrish cars and never heard the term.

Kinda like a rock crusher. Either you were there or ya weren't.

EXCUSE ME? Now you're going to go back to your old ways of being rude? I know exactly what they were called here in America, even the car club guys called them that back in the 70's when I had the MG with the wire wheels, the other British cars did not. And while we're at this flame throwing schit read these in their entirety because the words come up many times as knock offs and never knock ons:

https://classicmotorsports.com/articles/wire-wheels-classic-cars/
http://www.studegarage.com/indycar/hubs.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubcap
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinner_(wheel)
http://www.complex.com/sports/2011/12/oral-history-the-evolution-of-car-rims/1980-1990
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28133/lost-art-the-smiting-of-the-knockoffs/
http://www.mossmotoring.com/stuck-wire-wheels/
http://www.guybroad.co.uk/newsletter/summer-2015_newsletter.html FROM THE UK!!!

And there are many more websites then just those. So I think the person who is wrong here is YOU!

I've never serviced my own wheels on a 911 with center locks. Talk about a solution in search of a problem. They do look cool

"Fine German Engineering" means there is no such thing as simple German engineering.

I almost pulled the trigger on buying an 'affordable' Dino that needed a rotisserie job. I thought I could tackle it until I saw the large square'ish hole someone had cut through the engine/passenger compartment divider panel with a freakin' Sawzall. And then pop riveted a piece of furnace ductwork tin over the hole. It was there when someone decided that was the easiest method of R&R'ing an alternator.

I passed!

Now you're going to go back to your old ways of being rude?

Nope. No rudeness intended. I honestly don't care what folks call 'spinnerz'. They can call them Ben Hur Chariot Wheel Retainers for all I care. Like you said, this 'Murica and we call them knock offs.

Read the old English manuals though. Honestly, all the ones I read referred to them as knock ons. Not so much ON and OFF as UNDO!

Hey, I hear your pain on those rough roads and subpar rims. As for the video, I couldn't agree more - a single angle only gives us so much to work with. We need a cycling detective squad with multi-angle replays! ️‍♂️

I hear you on the rough roads and blown rims. Been there myself. But let's not jump to conclusions about the video. A single angle doesn't cut it for analysis. I've seen enough cycling replays to know that. And as for tires, I'm all for practicality. Snob attitudes can take a hike. I use what works for me, Shimano shoes and clipless pedals on my road and mountain bikes. Based in central NSW, I know our roads can be tough, but let's stick to the facts, not assumptions.

It's true that potholes and rough road surfaces can wreak havoc on bicycle rims, especially for those of us who log many miles on our bikes. I've certainly had my fair share of close calls and minor mishaps due to unexpected road conditions.

As for the video, I agree that it can be challenging to make definitive conclusions based on a single camera angle. It's amazing how different a situation can look depending on the perspective from which it's viewed. I've had similar experiences when reviewing data from astronomical observations - sometimes what appears to be a straightforward interpretation can change completely when new information comes to light.

Regarding the specific issue of tire and rim durability, I've found that investing in high-quality components can make a big difference. While it may be tempting to cut costs in this area, I've found that the added expense is worth it in the long run. Of course, even the best equipment can only do so much to protect against unavoidable hazards like potholes.

I'm curious - for those of you who have experienced rim damage, have you found any particular types of roads or surfaces to be more problematic than others? And do you have any tips for identifying and avoiding potential hazards while riding?

Driving off cliffs, over large stones, into rocks or curbs I hope that answers your question about how people can damage their rims.