Shimano Chain Compatibility with SRAM

mark444

Feb 17, 2008
:rolleyes: I'm shopping for a replacement chain for my Shimano 105 9-speed. I've never replaced a Shimano chain and read that it is different from other chain..but that is not my question.

I saw on ebay that SRAM sells a replacement chain that is "compatible" with Shimano but requires no special tools.

My question is do these SRAM chains work as well on Shimano drive trains and do they NOT require the special Shimano chain replacement treatment (e.g. special tools, replacement pins). :confused:

Thanks very much. :)

Mark

mark444 said:
:rolleyes: I'm shopping for a replacement chain for my Shimano 105 9-speed. I've never replaced a Shimano chain and read that it is different from other chain..but that is not my question.

I saw on ebay that SRAM sells a replacement chain that is "compatible" with Shimano but requires no special tools.

My question is do these SRAM chains work as well on Shimano drive trains and do they NOT require the special Shimano chain replacement treatment (e.g. special tools, replacement pins). :confused:

Mark
I beleive that they are compatible, as long as you get a 9-speed chain. When getting a chain, I beleive that you will benefit from using a quick link, regardless of the make of the chain.

a 9-speed shimano chain and a 9-speed SRAM chain are totally interchangeable on a bike. the SRAM is better due to the powerlink, and no break-off pin.

bigpedaler said:
a 9-speed shimano chain and a 9-speed SRAM chain are totally interchangeable on a bike. the SRAM is better due to the powerlink, and no break-off pin.
Why is SRAM better because of the "powerlink"? Any chain can be fitted with a breakable link. This is not a valid criterion for rating chains. I haven't used a Shimano break-off pin for years, but I've mostly used Shimano chains.

Well the sram chains come with the power link, shimano you have to buy them extra.

With either chain you need to punch out pins to remove the extra links for the correct length, but with a power link you don't have to add a pin to complete the loop again.

Make sure you use the same number of links (counting the power link!) as your current chain (assuming that one was correct of course....)

mark444 said:

Mark

Sram 9s chains are compatible with shimano 9s systems, cogsets and use a snap link to hook them together. Still need a chain tool to shorten the chain tho.