Shimano chain on Campy cogs

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Danziggidy, Mar 16, 2003.

  1. Danziggidy

    Danziggidy Guest

    Howdy,

    I know this has been posted before but I was unable to find the correct thread on Google so I
    thought I'd post again. I have a bike with Dura-ace cranks and chain along with Record hubs, cogs
    and shifters. I remember (or thought I did) that Lennard Zinn mentioned that this will work
    without issue.

    My problem is this: I have noticed tiny metal shards on my chain as I wipe it off to re-lube. I'm
    wondering if I remembered wrong or if this is considered acceptable. My big concern is wearing out
    my cogset as a new chain is a relatively inexpensive fix.

    Did I mess up? Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    Jon

    Tags:

  2. dirt-You can use any 9s chain on any 9s cogset-Sram, shimano, Campagnolo

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Danziggidy
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I know this has been posted before but I was unable to find the correct thread on Google so I
    >thought I'd post again. I have a bike with Dura-ace cranks and chain along with Record hubs, cogs
    >and shifters. I remember (or thought I did) that Lennard Zinn mentioned that this will work
    >without issue.
    >
    >My problem is this: I have noticed tiny metal shards on my chain as I wipe it off to re-lube. I'm
    >wondering if I remembered wrong or if this is considered acceptable. My big concern is wearing out
    >my cogset as a new chain is a relatively inexpensive fix.
    >
    >Did I mess up? Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

    9-speed chains for 9-speed drivetrains.

    10-speed chains (ie, not Shimano) are best for 10-speed drivetrains.

    You can run a 9-speed chain on a 10-speed drivetrain but it will usually be noisy. If that's what
    you have, I suggest a 10-speed chain.

    Shimano 9-speed chains work fine on Campy 9-speed bikes.

    --Paul

  4. Danziggidy

    Danziggidy Guest

    Right, I forgot to pay attention to that 9spd/10spd thing. Will this be wearing out my chain or
    cogset? I will order a new chain tomorrow but it will take a few days to get here.

    Thanks again

    Jon