Shimano Chain & Powerlink

hwttdz

Sep 28, 2003
Can I put a powerlink on a shimano chain? I'd really like to try out a sram chain but I don't want to be stuck with a squeaky chain that doesn't shift well nor drop twice the money and buy both. Anybody used a sram chain, which works best the 89 or the 99?

Originally posted by hwttdz
Can I put a powerlink on a shimano chain? I'd really like to try out a sram chain but I don't want to be stuck with a squeaky chain that doesn't shift well nor drop twice the money and buy both. Anybody used a sram chain, which works best the 89 or the 99?
You can use a sram 9 speed link on a shimano 9 speed chain.A shimano 8 speed chain is too wide for a sram 8 link but there ae other links available that work. Sram chains also work well.

Agree SRAM chains work great. I like them better than Shimano. Suggest you try one and decide for yourself.

boudreaux said:
You can use a sram 9 speed link on a shimano 9 speed chain.A shimano 8 speed chain is too wide for a sram 8 link but there ae other links available that work. Sram chains also work well.

I´m using a Silver Powerlink (for 8 speeds chains) with a Shimano IG-51 (8 speeds) without problems.

May be the compatibility issue depends on which models of 8 speeds Shimano chain you are using. The reply of Boudreaux was posted in 2004, may be a new shimano chain is thiner than the old ones.

Best regards and good luck.

Marcelo