shimano chainrings (roadbike)

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Paul Jones, Oct 3, 2003.

  1. Paul Jones

    Paul Jones Guest

    Hello all!

    I've just recently upgraded my roadbike from a 16 speed (52,39 front,
    12-21 rear) to an 18 speed Ultegra (53,39 front, 12-23 rear).

    I'm finding that the 23 is useless (never ride on hills that steep), and
    its a big jump between chainrings. A 44 tooth would be more practical
    for the riding I am doing (might actually use the 23!), even if 44 does
    not exist, a 42 would still be an improvement.

    Does anyone know what size Ultegra chainrings come in? and if any
    on-line bike shops have them. So many I have typed `chainring' into a
    search and come up with nothing. Even the shimano website couldnt tell
    me

    Paul

    Tags:

  2. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Paul Jones wrote:
    > Hello all!
    >
    > I've just recently upgraded my roadbike from a 16 speed (52,39 front,
    > 12-21 rear) to an 18 speed Ultegra (53,39 front, 12-23 rear).
    >
    > I'm finding that the 23 is useless (never ride on hills that steep), and

    So why did you bother "upgrading" ??
    Maybe one day you will go uphill into a headwind with a flattish tyre,
    broken pump, and heavy load, while ill and hungover and make use of that
    extra gear.
    By my calcs, the 39/21 gear will do 20km/hr max at a decent cadence.
    Do you ever go slower than that?

  3. Paul Jones

    Paul Jones Guest

    Why did I bother upgrading?

    because my previous bike was 11 years old - steel frame, and had bent the
    dropouts - was hardly worth fixing.

    Maybe one day I will have that situation - except I hardly ever drink so will
    never be hungover - never have been in my life.

    As I said - my lowest gear is now a 23 - not 21. In the riding I am doing day
    in, day out - by my caclulations (and I have done them) a 44 or 42 would be
    more practical. I would also keep the 39, and use it whenever I know I will be
    doing serious uphill riding.

    Paul
    (can anyone answer my orginal question????)

    Mike wrote:

    > Paul Jones wrote:
    > > Hello all!
    > >
    > > I've just recently upgraded my roadbike from a 16 speed (52,39 front,
    > > 12-21 rear) to an 18 speed Ultegra (53,39 front, 12-23 rear).
    > >
    > > I'm finding that the 23 is useless (never ride on hills that steep), and

    > So why did you bother "upgrading" ??
    > Maybe one day you will go uphill into a headwind with a flattish tyre,
    > broken pump, and heavy load, while ill and hungover and make use of that
    > extra gear.
    > By my calcs, the 39/21 gear will do 20km/hr max at a decent cadence.
    > Do you ever go slower than that?

  4. Paul Jones <[email protected]> wrote in news:3f7e6991
    @news.comindico.com.au:

    > Does anyone know what size Ultegra chainrings come in?

    53, 52, 42 and 39 as far as I can tell from Shimano's catalogue. There's
    also a 44 in Dura-Ace quality, but I bet it'll be hard to find and
    expensive.

  5. M2cycler

    M2cycler Guest

    Paul Jones wrote:
    > Hello all!
    > I've just recently upgraded my roadbike from a 16 speed (52,39 front,
    > 12-21 rear) to an 18 speed Ultegra (53,39 front, 12-23 rear).
    > I'm finding that the 23 is useless (never ride on hills that steep), and
    > its a big jump between chainrings. A 44 tooth would be more practical
    > for the riding I am doing (might actually use the 23!), even if 44 does
    > not exist, a 42 would still be an improvement.
    > Does anyone know what size Ultegra chainrings come in? and if any
    > on-line bike shops have them. So many I have typed `chainring'
    > into a search and come up with nothing. Even the shimano website
    > couldnt tell me
    > Paul

    yes, they come in 42. probably ur 23 wont be useless anymore.

  6. Paul Jones <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello all!
    >
    > I've just recently upgraded my roadbike from a 16 speed (52,39 front,
    > 12-21 rear) to an 18 speed Ultegra (53,39 front, 12-23 rear).
    >
    > I'm finding that the 23 is useless (never ride on hills that steep), and
    > its a big jump between chainrings. A 44 tooth would be more practical
    > for the riding I am doing (might actually use the 23!), even if 44 does
    > not exist, a 42 would still be an improvement.
    >
    > Does anyone know what size Ultegra chainrings come in? and if any
    > on-line bike shops have them. So many I have typed `chainring' into a
    > search and come up with nothing. Even the shimano website couldnt tell
    > me
    >
    > Paul

    Hi Paul

    A 42 chainring should be easy to find, a 44 would be a bit harder but
    are definitely out there. Specialites TA and Stronglight and others
    make Shimano compatible (130mm BCD) chainrings in a lot more sizes
    than Shimano do. If your LBS can't help you out it would be very
    simple to order one from an overseas online shop, none of the
    Australian online shops that I have found seem to list much in the way
    of parts, someone else might suggest one that does. If you order one
    from overseas freight shouldn't be too much for one chainring and you
    won't have to pay any duties or GST on a small order. BTW some sales
    types might try to tell you you'll need to buy a new large chainring
    to go with your new small chainring for better shifting but you
    probably wouldn't notice the difference.

    Bruce Dickson

    Cycling-the sport of the century-mechanization which, together with
    the
    marvelous nature of man, triumphs over time and space
    La Gazzetta dello Sport