shimano chainrings (roadbike)

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul Jones

Hello all!

I've just recently upgraded my roadbike from a 16 speed (52,39 front, 12-21 rear) to an 18 speed
Ultegra (53,39 front, 12-23 rear).

I'm finding that the 23 is useless (never ride on hills that steep), and its a big jump between
chainrings. A 44 tooth would be more practical for the riding I am doing (might actually use the
23!), even if 44 does not exist, a 42 would still be an improvement.

Does anyone know what size Ultegra chainrings come in? and if any on-line bike shops have them. So
many I have typed `chainring' into a search and come up with nothing. Even the shimano website
couldnt tell me

Paul

Paul Jones wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I've just recently upgraded my roadbike from a 16 speed (52,39 front, 12-21 rear) to an 18 speed
> Ultegra (53,39 front, 12-23 rear).
>
> I'm finding that the 23 is useless (never ride on hills that steep), and

So why did you bother "upgrading" ?? Maybe one day you will go uphill into a headwind with a
flattish tyre, broken pump, and heavy load, while ill and hungover and make use of that extra
gear. By my calcs, the 39/21 gear will do 20km/hr max at a decent cadence. Do you ever go slower
than that?

Why did I bother upgrading?

because my previous bike was 11 years old - steel frame, and had bent the dropouts - was hardly
worth fixing.

Maybe one day I will have that situation - except I hardly ever drink so will never be hungover -
never have been in my life.

As I said - my lowest gear is now a 23 - not 21. In the riding I am doing day in, day out - by my
caclulations (and I have done them) a 44 or 42 would be more practical. I would also keep the 39,
and use it whenever I know I will be doing serious uphill riding.

Paul (can anyone answer my orginal question????)

Mike wrote:

> Paul Jones wrote:
> > Hello all!
> >
> > I've just recently upgraded my roadbike from a 16 speed (52,39 front, 12-21 rear) to an 18 speed
> > Ultegra (53,39 front, 12-23 rear).
> >
> > I'm finding that the 23 is useless (never ride on hills that steep), and
>
> So why did you bother "upgrading" ?? Maybe one day you will go uphill into a headwind with a
> flattish tyre, broken pump, and heavy load, while ill and hungover and make use of that extra
> gear. By my calcs, the 39/21 gear will do 20km/hr max at a decent cadence. Do you ever go slower
> than that?

Paul Jones <[email protected]> wrote in news:3f7e6991 @news.comindico.com.au:

> Does anyone know what size Ultegra chainrings come in?

53, 52, 42 and 39 as far as I can tell from Shimano's catalogue. There's also a 44 in Dura-Ace
quality, but I bet it'll be hard to find and expensive.

Originally posted by Paul Jones
Hello all!

I've just recently upgraded my roadbike from a 16 speed (52,39 front, 12-21 rear) to an 18 speed
Ultegra (53,39 front, 12-23 rear).

I'm finding that the 23 is useless (never ride on hills that steep), and its a big jump between
chainrings. A 44 tooth would be more practical for the riding I am doing (might actually use the
23!), even if 44 does not exist, a 42 would still be an improvement.

Does anyone know what size Ultegra chainrings come in? and if any on-line bike shops have them. So
many I have typed `chainring' into a search and come up with nothing. Even the shimano website
couldnt tell me

Paul

yes, they come in 42. probably ur 23 wont be useless anymore.

Paul Jones <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hello all!
>
> I've just recently upgraded my roadbike from a 16 speed (52,39 front, 12-21 rear) to an 18 speed
> Ultegra (53,39 front, 12-23 rear).
>
> I'm finding that the 23 is useless (never ride on hills that steep), and its a big jump between
> chainrings. A 44 tooth would be more practical for the riding I am doing (might actually use the
> 23!), even if 44 does not exist, a 42 would still be an improvement.
>
> Does anyone know what size Ultegra chainrings come in? and if any on-line bike shops have them. So
> many I have typed `chainring' into a search and come up with nothing. Even the shimano website
> couldnt tell me
>
> Paul

Hi Paul

A 42 chainring should be easy to find, a 44 would be a bit harder but are definitely out there.
Specialites TA and Stronglight and others make Shimano compatible (130mm BCD) chainrings in a lot
more sizes than Shimano do. If your LBS can't help you out it would be very simple to order one from
an overseas online shop, none of the Australian online shops that I have found seem to list much in
the way of parts, someone else might suggest one that does. If you order one from overseas freight
shouldn't be too much for one chainring and you won't have to pay any duties or GST on a small
order. BTW some sales types might try to tell you you'll need to buy a new large chainring to go
with your new small chainring for better shifting but you probably wouldn't notice the difference.

Bruce Dickson

Cycling-the sport of the century-mechanization which, together with the marvelous nature of man,
triumphs over time and space La Gazzetta dello Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.