Shimano compact crank, bottom bracket noise ?

al sharff

Guest
I have a Shimano compact crank, Ultegra bottom bracket, all new as of
February this year.

After about 600 miles a "click" developed that happens in time with
the cranks revolving and sounds like it's coming from the bottom
bracket on the right side.

I only hear it when I'm out of the saddle and for the first revolution
of the cranks when I sit down. I rarely hear it with I'm out of the
saddle and moving the bike side to side. I have taken the seat tube
out and ridden the bike, removed the pump and computer and the "click"
has stayed constant.

If I "re-torque" the cranks using the Shimano plastic tool the click
goes away for a couple 100 miles, then returns with the same
symptoms. This leads me to think it isn't the pedals or my shoes.

First time I asked my shop about the noise they came up with re-
tightening the cranks, second time I left the bike with them and they
said it was the clamp on front derailer but the click was back a day
later.

Anybody run into this "click" before- any comments on what it might be
or whether I should worry about it?

In article
<[email protected]>
,
al sharff <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have a Shimano compact crank, Ultegra bottom bracket, all new as of
> February this year.
>
> After about 600 miles a "click" developed that happens in time with
> the cranks revolving and sounds like it's coming from the bottom
> bracket on the right side.
>
> I only hear it when I'm out of the saddle and for the first revolution
> of the cranks when I sit down. I rarely hear it with I'm out of the
> saddle and moving the bike side to side. I have taken the seat tube
> out and ridden the bike, removed the pump and computer and the "click"
> has stayed constant.
>
> If I "re-torque" the cranks using the Shimano plastic tool the click
> goes away for a couple 100 miles, then returns with the same
> symptoms. This leads me to think it isn't the pedals or my shoes.
>
> First time I asked my shop about the noise they came up with re-
> tightening the cranks, second time I left the bike with them and they
> said it was the clamp on front derailer but the click was back a day
> later.
>
> Anybody run into this "click" before- any comments on what it might be
> or whether I should worry about it?

Try everything you can think of
out of the saddle
in the saddle
spinning
slogging
one hand
one foot
no hands
on the stem, bars, flats, hoods, hooks, ends
clipped in
unclipped
different shoes
different jersey

Michael Press

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>I have a Shimano compact crank, Ultegra bottom bracket, all new as

of
>February this year.
>
>After about 600 miles a "click" developed that happens in time with
>the cranks revolving and sounds like it's coming from the bottom
>bracket on the right side.
>
>I only hear it when I'm out of the saddle and for the first revolution
>of the cranks when I sit down. I rarely hear it with I'm out of the
>saddle and moving the bike side to side. I have taken the seat tube
>out and ridden the bike, removed the pump and computer and the

"click"
>has stayed constant.
>
>If I "re-torque" the cranks using the Shimano plastic tool the click
>goes away for a couple 100 miles, then returns with the same
>symptoms. This leads me to think it isn't the pedals or my shoes.
>
>First time I asked my shop about the noise they came up with re-
>tightening the cranks, second time I left the bike with them and they
>said it was the clamp on front derailer but the click was back a day
>later.
>
>Anybody run into this "click" before- any comments on what it might

be
>or whether I should worry about it?

Possibley they need to be retightened. But the extra force you put on
them when mashing down out of the saddle makes me think that the
bearings are going. It can happen that soon but fortuneately not very
often. I've had cheap ISIS brackets fail in that approximate time
frame.

>I have a Shimano compact crank, Ultegra bottom bracket, all new as of
> February this year.
>
> After about 600 miles a "click" developed that happens in time with
> the cranks revolving and sounds like it's coming from the bottom
> bracket on the right side.

Al: I think we've had one, possibly two DuraAce pipe-style cranks with
clicks that were finally solved by replacing the crank. It was an issue with
where the pipe (axle) attached to the chainring-side crank arm (which is
fixed to the pipe). But since your noise went away by re-tightening the
other side, it doesn't sound like that's it... or not. Could be that playing
with it made it go away for a bit.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

> > Anybody run into this "click" before- any comments on what it might be
> > or whether I should worry about it?

> Try everything you can think of
> out of the saddle
> in the saddle
> spinning
> slogging
> one hand
> one foot
> no hands
> on the stem, bars, flats, hoods, hooks, ends
> clipped in
> unclipped
> different shoes
> different jersey

> Michael Press

------------
I kind of agree with this approach first. Every crank click I ever had, was
always something else. The weirdest crank click I ever had was my helmet
strap flapping on my helmet.

On Jul 15, 1:36 pm, al sharff <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have a Shimano compact crank, Ultegra bottom bracket, all new as of
> February this year.
>
> After about 600 miles a "click" developed that happens in time with
> the cranks revolving and sounds like it's coming from the bottom
> bracket on the right side.
>
> I only hear it when I'm out of the saddle and for the first revolution
> of the cranks when I sit down. I rarely hear it with I'm out of the
> saddle and moving the bike side to side. I have taken the seat tube
> out and ridden the bike, removed the pump and computer and the "click"
> has stayed constant.
>
> If I "re-torque" the cranks using the Shimano plastic tool the click
> goes away for a couple 100 miles, then returns with the same
> symptoms. This leads me to think it isn't the pedals or my shoes.
>
> First time I asked my shop about the noise they came up with re-
> tightening the cranks, second time I left the bike with them and they
> said it was the clamp on front derailer but the click was back a day
> later.
>
> Anybody run into this "click" before- any comments on what it might be
> or whether I should worry about it?

Take apart and ensure lots of grasso on the BB spindle and inside the
cups. Tolerances being what they are, if dry-ish, they can be quite
noisey.

On Jul 16, 5:13 am, "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> > > Anybody run into this "click" before- any comments on what it might be
> > > or whether I should worry about it?

> > Try everything you can think of
> > out of the saddle
> > in the saddle
> > spinning
> > slogging
> > one hand
> > one foot
> > no hands
> > on the stem, bars, flats, hoods, hooks, ends
> > clipped in
> > unclipped
> > different shoes
> > different jersey

> > --
> > Michael Press

> ------------
> I kind of agree with this approach first. Every crank click I ever had, was
> always something else. The weirdest crank click I ever had was my helmet
> strap flapping on my helmet.

I had one that was the 'D' ring on my doiwntube shifter clicking back
and forth.

> Take apart and ensure lots of grasso on the BB spindle and inside the
> cups.

Peter,

I'll assume "grasso" is grease and not what I land in when I miss
judge a corner.

Thanks,

Al

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Anybody run into this "click" before- any comments on what it might be
> > > or whether I should worry about it?

> > Try everything you can think of
> > out of the saddle
> > in the saddle
> > spinning
> > slogging
> > one hand
> > one foot
> > no hands
> > on the stem, bars, flats, hoods, hooks, ends
> > clipped in
> > unclipped
> > different shoes
> > different jersey

> ------------
> I kind of agree with this approach first. Every crank click I ever had, was
> always something else. The weirdest crank click I ever had was my helmet
> strap flapping on my helmet.

Thanks.
with a helmet
without a helmet
helmet strap cinched
helmet strap uncinched
pockets empty
check your shoe laces

--
Michael Press

On Jul 15, 7:28 pm, RS <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>

> >I have a Shimano compact crank, Ultegra bottom bracket, all new as

> of
> >February this year.

> >After about 600 miles a "click" developed that happens in time with
> >the cranks revolving and sounds like it's coming from the bottom
> >bracket on the right side.

> >I only hear it when I'm out of the saddle and for the first revolution
> >of the cranks when I sit down. I rarely hear it with I'm out of the
> >saddle and moving the bike side to side. I have taken the seat tube
> >out and ridden the bike, removed the pump and computer and the

> "click"
> >has stayed constant.

> >If I "re-torque" the cranks using the Shimano plastic tool the click
> >goes away for a couple 100 miles, then returns with the same
> >symptoms. This leads me to think it isn't the pedals or my shoes.

> >First time I asked my shop about the noise they came up with re-
> >tightening the cranks, second time I left the bike with them and they
> >said it was the clamp on front derailer but the click was back a day
> >later.

> >Anybody run into this "click" before- any comments on what it might

> be
> >or whether I should worry about it?

> Possibley they need to be retightened. But the extra force you put on
> them when mashing down out of the saddle makes me think that the
> bearings are going. It can happen that soon but fortuneately not very
> often. I've had cheap ISIS brackets fail in that approximate time
> frame. - Hide quoted text -

Expensive ones, too. My ISIS BB made a lot of noise before/during
going bad. All of them suck. It's a bad design.

However, I think this is one of those HollowTech jobs with the
outboard bearings. I would pull the cups and reinstall them with some
grease. Arm, too -- and crank it up to the NMs specified on the sticky-
label. I always start click-remediation by reinstalling the cups
(unless there is some more obvious cause, like a flapping shoe strap).
Sometimes a slightly loose pedal can make a click, so I would make
sure the pedals are tight -- maybe grease the spindles, too. Tighten
your chainring bolts while you are at it. If the problem is that the
crank comes loose, then you might have a goobered interface between
the left arm and the spindle. Or like Mike says, a bad interface on
the right. Either way, you're screwed -- but screwed withint the
warranty period. Whoohoo, a problem IN the warranty period! What are
the odds? -- Jay Beattie.

Qui si parla Campagnolo aka Peter Chisholm wrote:
>> I kind of agree with this approach first. Every crank click I ever had, was
>> always something else. The weirdest crank click I ever had was my helmet
>> strap flapping on my helmet.

> I had one that was the 'D' ring on my doiwntube shifter clicking back
> and forth.

My "click" was actually the reed switch on the cyclometer sensor opening
and closing.

On Jul 16, 12:55 pm, al sharff <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Take apart and ensure lots of grasso on the BB spindle and inside the
> > cups.

> Peter,
>
> I'll assume "grasso" is grease and not what I land in when I miss
> judge a corner.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Al

could also be the peddal spindle against the crank arm- I've had
mysterious clicking that was resolved by cleaning then greasing the
pedal thread- a simple solution has worked for me on more than one
occaison

On Jul 16, 10:55 am, al sharff <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Take apart and ensure lots of grasso on the BB spindle and inside the
> > cups.

> Peter,
>
> I'll assume "grasso" is grease and not what I land in when I miss
> judge a corner.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Al

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Grease=grasso

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> On Jul 16, 10:55 am, al sharff <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Take apart and ensure lots of grasso on the BB spindle and inside the
>>> cups.

>> I'll assume "grasso" is grease and not what I land in when I miss
>> judge a corner.

> http://babelfish.altavista.com/
>
> Grease=grasso

If I choose Italian -> English, I get grasso = fat person.

According to Travlang's Italian -> English translator [1]:

grasso
1. fat, fatty, greasy
2. fat, grease

Hmmmm.... how about masters fatty? According to babelfish, the Italian
is "acquista padronanza di grasso" and the French is "maîtrise gras." I
think something is lost in the translation.

:^)

[1]
http://dictionaries.travlang.com/ItalianEnglish/dict.cgi?query=grasso&max=50

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

Everyone confesses that exertion which brings out all the powers of body
and mind is the best thing for us; but most people do all they can to
get rid of it, and as a general rule nobody does much more than
circumstances drive them to do. -Harriet Beecher Stowe, abolitionist and
novelist (1811-1896)

On Jul 17, 8:17 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Jul 16, 10:55 am, al sharff <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > Take apart and ensure lots of grasso on the BB spindle and inside the
> > > cups.

> > Peter,

> > I'll assume "grasso" is grease and not what I land in when I miss
> > judge a corner.

> > Thanks,

> > Al

> http://babelfish.altavista.com/
>
> Grease=grasso

unless you happen to be a beatnik from the 60's perhaps....

Also check your cassette for any looseness/play... and make sure your chain
doesn't have any slack in it..

news:[email protected]...

On Jul 17, 6:58 am, dvt <[email protected]> wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> >> I'll assume "grasso" is grease and not what I land in when I miss
> >> judge a corner.

> >http://babelfish.altavista.com/

> > Grease=grasso

> If I choose Italian -> English, I get grasso = fat person.
>
> According to Travlang's Italian -> English translator [1]:
>
> grasso
> 1. fat, fatty, greasy
> 2. fat, grease
>
> Hmmmm.... how about masters fatty? According to babelfish, the Italian
> is "acquista padronanza di grasso" and the French is "maîtrise gras." I
> think something is lost in the translation.
>
> :^)
>
> [1]http://dictionaries.travlang.com/ItalianEnglish/dict.cgi?query=grasso...
>
> --
> Dave
> dvt at psu dot edu
>
> Everyone confesses that exertion which brings out all the powers of body
> and mind is the best thing for us; but most people do all they can to
> get rid of it, and as a general rule nobody does much more than
> circumstances drive them to do. -Harriet Beecher Stowe, abolitionist and
> novelist (1811-1896)

If I ask 'grease', then English to Italian-grasso. If I ask grasso,
Italian to english-fat person..so use fat, grease, something, just
not 'asciotto'

On Jul 15, 12:36 pm, al sharff <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have a Shimano compact crank, Ultegra bottom bracket, all new as of
> February this year.
>
> After about 600 miles a "click" developed that happens in time with
> the cranks revolving and sounds like it's coming from the bottom
> bracket on the right side.
>
> I only hear it when I'm out of the saddle and for the first revolution
> of the cranks when I sit down. I rarely hear it with I'm out of the
> saddle and moving the bike side to side. I have taken the seat tube
> out and ridden the bike, removed the pump and computer and the "click"
> has stayed constant.
>
> If I "re-torque" the cranks using the Shimano plastic tool the click
> goes away for a couple 100 miles, then returns with the same
> symptoms. This leads me to think it isn't the pedals or my shoes.
>
> First time I asked my shop about the noise they came up with re-
> tightening the cranks, second time I left the bike with them and they
> said it was the clamp on front derailer but the click was back a day
> later.
>
> Anybody run into this "click" before- any comments on what it might be
> or whether I should worry about it?

I had a persistent click that would occur only when the right pedal
passed 3 o'clock out of the saddle. I was absolutely, positively
convinced it was the crank, bb, or rear wheel.

Turned out the headset was dry and regreasing it solved the click.

Moral of that particular story, it is VERY hard to tell where a sound
on a bike is coming from.