Shimano compatability

t0m4ever

Nov 1, 2012
Hi,

I'm currently upgrading my groupset from the Sora/Tiagra mix that was on it originally.

I've got Ultegra 6600 cassette and crank, and 6700 FD and RD. What shifters can I get that are compatible with this set up? Obviously Ultegra 6700 shifters would be, and 105 5700 shifters say they are compatible with a 6700 FD. Would 105 5600 shifters with with these derailleurs? I've heard that 6600 shifters work fine with them too.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Any Shimano shifters of the same "gear number" will be compatible. So if you have a 10 speed cassette, any 10 speed shifters will work. If 9 speed cassette, you need 9 speed shifters.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if they had changed the distance between shifts on the newer mechanisms.

Do you know if all brakes are compatible, and it's just a case of adjusting the cables?

Originally Posted by t0m4ever .

I'm currently upgrading my groupset from the Sora/Tiagra mix that was on it originally.

I've got Ultegra 6600 cassette and crank, and 6700 FD and RD. What shifters can I get that are compatible with this set up? Obviously Ultegra 6700 shifters would be, and 105 5700 shifters say they are compatible with a 6700 FD. Would 105 5600 shifters with with these derailleurs? I've heard that 6600 shifters work fine with them too.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
FWIW. Alternatively, CAMPAGNOLO shifters can be used with many SHIMANO drivetrains ...

• the matrix ([COLOR= rgb(128, 128, 128)]created by Chris Juden[/COLOR]) is not as cryptic as it may initially appear to be
  • a set of 11-speed Campagnolo shifters connected 'normally' to an 8-/9-speed Shimano rear derailleur yields 9-speed Shimano indexing ...
  • et cetera

• avoid the QS shifters if you can ([COLOR= rgb(128, 128, 128)]the QS shifters are "okay" ... they have an elegant[/COLOR] internal mechanism, but there are limitations when compared with the 'big brother' variant ... the exception is a set of Chorus QS shifters which are QS in-name-only) ...
  • the ErgoPower internal mechanism is apparently derived from the QS mechanism which was derived from the Xenon mechanism ...

• MY estimation is that a hubbub'd 8-/9-speed Shimano rear derailleur is the same as 10-speed Shimano rear derailleur whose rear derailleur cable is connected "normally" ... so, in theory, you could get a set of 11-speed Campagnolo shifters to use with your current combination of components BUT 'I' haven't tested the combination

Campagnolo shifters can EASILY downshift when the drivetrain is under a load ... the only time I have failed to shift to a larger cog was when there wasn't one!

The superior ramping on the cogs on all post-2000 (1998?) Shimano Cassettes facilitates the shifting if the indexing is off ...

Very few people who have used Campagnolo shifters subsequently opt to use other brands unless they are a sponsored rider. Of course, there are exceptions; particularly, amongst people who used V1 Campagnolo shifters whose shape wasn't quite as comfortable (to me, at least) as subsequent versions.

Best of all, Campagnolo shifters are generally LESS EXPENSIVE if you buy them via eBay ...

• compatible with almost any cable actuated front derailleur (there's probably an exception out there)
  • compatibility with various Shimano/Sram Cassettes by simply changing the cabling & adjusting the Hi-Lo stops ...
  • better shifting when under load ...
  • lower price ...
  • what's not to like?!?