Shimano compatability

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Tom Hinchliffe, Apr 14, 2003.

  1. Does anybody know whether it is possible to mix and match Dura Ace and Ultegra components on teh
    same bike?

    In particular I am trying to find out whether a rear wheel equipped with an Ultegra cassette will be
    compatible (i.e shift smoothly without the need for any adjustment) on a Dura Ace equipped bike.

    Any views gratefully received

    Tom

    Tags:

  2. Gwydion

    Gwydion Guest

    In general, yes. No if one is 8 speed and the other is 9. Possibly not if the hub is different, as
    it might change the position of the cassette and require adjustment of the shifter.

    Tom Hinchliffe wrote:

    > Does anybody know whether it is possible to mix and match Dura Ace and Ultegra components on teh
    > same bike?
    >
    > In particular I am trying to find out whether a rear wheel equipped with an Ultegra cassette
    > will be compatible (i.e shift smoothly without the need for any adjustment) on a Dura Ace
    > equipped bike.
    >
    > Any views gratefully received
    >
    > Tom

  3. Rivermist

    Rivermist Guest

    The answer is yes.

    "Tom Hinchliffe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Does anybody know whether it is possible to mix and match Dura Ace and Ultegra components on teh
    > same bike?
    >
    > In particular I am trying to find out whether a rear wheel equipped with
    an
    > Ultegra cassette will be compatible (i.e shift smoothly without the need
    for
    > any adjustment) on a Dura Ace equipped bike.
    >
    > Any views gratefully received
    >
    > Tom

  4. Kent

    Kent Guest

    Hi Tom

    Pretty much anything Shimano will work with anything else Shimano as long as they are in the same
    gearing number. As in Dura Ace 8sp parts will not work (as well at least) with anything 9speed. So
    if you have 8speed parts and a 9speed cassette things aren't going to work so good. as for crossing
    parts in the same gear range...yes an Ultegra 9speed cassette will work with Dura Ace 9speed
    components. They say for optimum shifting you should stick with all the same parts but I run an
    Ultegra cassette with Dura Ace parts and it shifts just fine. The big differences between the two
    (or so I'm told) comes down to weight and durability...obviously Dura Ace being lighter and longer
    lasting. So there's my two cents..swap the Ultegra cassette in and have at. And for heavens sake
    wear a helmet.

    cheers Kent

  5. Shelbye305

    Shelbye305 Guest

    If it is the new (2000 up) 9 speed all are compatible.

    Jim

  6. My view is irrelevant because you won't listen to me anyway.

    "Tom Hinchliffe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Does anybody know whether it is possible to mix and match Dura Ace and Ultegra components on teh
    > same bike?
    >
    > In particular I am trying to find out whether a rear wheel equipped with an Ultegra cassette
    > will be compatible (i.e shift smoothly without the need for any adjustment) on a Dura Ace
    > equipped bike.
    >
    > Any views gratefully received
    >
    > Tom

  7. David

    David Guest

    >> In particular I am trying to find out whether a rear wheel equipped with an Ultegra cassette will
    >> be compatible (i.e shift smoothly without the need
    >for
    >> any adjustment) on a Dura Ace equipped bike.

    Completely interchangable. No problem at all. Good Luck! David Never give up, Be satisfied w/ your
    best, Do unto others.....