Shimano compatability

Tom Hinchliffe

Guest
Does anybody know whether it is possible to mix and match Dura Ace and Ultegra components on teh
same bike?

In particular I am trying to find out whether a rear wheel equipped with an Ultegra cassette will be
compatible (i.e shift smoothly without the need for any adjustment) on a Dura Ace equipped bike.

Any views gratefully received

Tom

In general, yes. No if one is 8 speed and the other is 9. Possibly not if the hub is different, as
it might change the position of the cassette and require adjustment of the shifter.

Tom Hinchliffe wrote:

> Does anybody know whether it is possible to mix and match Dura Ace and Ultegra components on teh
> same bike?
>
> In particular I am trying to find out whether a rear wheel equipped with an Ultegra cassette
> will be compatible (i.e shift smoothly without the need for any adjustment) on a Dura Ace
> equipped bike.
>
> Any views gratefully received
>
> Tom

The answer is yes.

"Tom Hinchliffe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Does anybody know whether it is possible to mix and match Dura Ace and Ultegra components on teh
> same bike?
>
> In particular I am trying to find out whether a rear wheel equipped with
an
> Ultegra cassette will be compatible (i.e shift smoothly without the need
for
> any adjustment) on a Dura Ace equipped bike.
>
> Any views gratefully received
>
> Tom

Hi Tom

Pretty much anything Shimano will work with anything else Shimano as long as they are in the same
gearing number. As in Dura Ace 8sp parts will not work (as well at least) with anything 9speed. So
if you have 8speed parts and a 9speed cassette things aren't going to work so good. as for crossing
parts in the same gear range...yes an Ultegra 9speed cassette will work with Dura Ace 9speed
components. They say for optimum shifting you should stick with all the same parts but I run an
Ultegra cassette with Dura Ace parts and it shifts just fine. The big differences between the two
(or so I'm told) comes down to weight and durability...obviously Dura Ace being lighter and longer
lasting. So there's my two cents..swap the Ultegra cassette in and have at. And for heavens sake
wear a helmet.

cheers Kent

If it is the new (2000 up) 9 speed all are compatible.

Jim

My view is irrelevant because you won't listen to me anyway.

"Tom Hinchliffe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Does anybody know whether it is possible to mix and match Dura Ace and Ultegra components on teh
> same bike?
>
> In particular I am trying to find out whether a rear wheel equipped with an Ultegra cassette
> will be compatible (i.e shift smoothly without the need for any adjustment) on a Dura Ace
> equipped bike.
>
> Any views gratefully received
>
> Tom

>> In particular I am trying to find out whether a rear wheel equipped with an Ultegra cassette will
>> be compatible (i.e shift smoothly without the need
>for
>> any adjustment) on a Dura Ace equipped bike.

Completely interchangable. No problem at all. Good Luck! David Never give up, Be satisfied w/ your
best, Do unto others.....