shimano compatibility

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by cliff, Jan 17, 2005.

  1. cliff

    cliff Guest

    I have used 9 speed downtube shifters with my DA 8sp R der to shift on
    my 8 speed freewheel sucessfully. Therefore, the cable pull of 8 speed
    DA STi shifters and 9 speed DA shifters must be the same, and the
    geometry of the deraillure creates the difference in movement over the
    cog spacing. Is this statement correct??

    In other words, I can use my 8 speed DA STI levers with a 9 speed der.
    (any DA, Ultegra) to shift 8 of the 9 cogs on a 9 speed cassette.
    Conversely, I can use DA 9 speed shifters with an 8 speed Dura Ace der.
    to shift 8 cogs on an 8 speed cassette. Correct? Thanks to anyone who
    can end the confusion for me!

    Cliff

    Tags:

  2. Russ Baxter

    Russ Baxter Guest

    cliff wrote:
    > I have used 9 speed downtube shifters with my DA 8sp R der to shift

    on
    > my 8 speed freewheel sucessfully. Therefore, the cable pull of 8

    speed
    > DA STi shifters and 9 speed DA shifters must be the same, and the
    > geometry of the deraillure creates the difference in movement over

    the
    > cog spacing. Is this statement correct??
    >
    > In other words, I can use my 8 speed DA STI levers with a 9 speed

    der.
    > (any DA, Ultegra) to shift 8 of the 9 cogs on a 9 speed cassette.
    > Conversely, I can use DA 9 speed shifters with an 8 speed Dura Ace

    der.
    > to shift 8 cogs on an 8 speed cassette. Correct? Thanks to anyone

    who
    > can end the confusion for me!
    >
    > Cliff

    See: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html

  3. Russ Baxter

    Russ Baxter Guest

    cliff wrote:
    > I have used 9 speed downtube shifters with my DA 8sp R der to shift

    on
    > my 8 speed freewheel sucessfully. Therefore, the cable pull of 8

    speed
    > DA STi shifters and 9 speed DA shifters must be the same, and the
    > geometry of the deraillure creates the difference in movement over

    the
    > cog spacing. Is this statement correct??
    >
    > In other words, I can use my 8 speed DA STI levers with a 9 speed

    der.
    > (any DA, Ultegra) to shift 8 of the 9 cogs on a 9 speed cassette.
    > Conversely, I can use DA 9 speed shifters with an 8 speed Dura Ace

    der.
    > to shift 8 cogs on an 8 speed cassette. Correct? Thanks to anyone

    who
    > can end the confusion for me!
    >
    > Cliff

    See: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html

  4. Russ Baxter

    Russ Baxter Guest

    cliff wrote:
    > I have used 9 speed downtube shifters with my DA 8sp R der to shift

    on
    > my 8 speed freewheel sucessfully. Therefore, the cable pull of 8

    speed
    > DA STi shifters and 9 speed DA shifters must be the same, and the
    > geometry of the deraillure creates the difference in movement over

    the
    > cog spacing. Is this statement correct??
    >
    > In other words, I can use my 8 speed DA STI levers with a 9 speed

    der.
    > (any DA, Ultegra) to shift 8 of the 9 cogs on a 9 speed cassette.
    > Conversely, I can use DA 9 speed shifters with an 8 speed Dura Ace

    der.
    > to shift 8 cogs on an 8 speed cassette. Correct? Thanks to anyone

    who
    > can end the confusion for me!
    >
    > Cliff

    See: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html

  5. Russ Baxter

    Russ Baxter Guest

    cliff wrote:
    > I have used 9 speed downtube shifters with my DA 8sp R der to shift

    on
    > my 8 speed freewheel sucessfully. Therefore, the cable pull of 8

    speed
    > DA STi shifters and 9 speed DA shifters must be the same, and the
    > geometry of the deraillure creates the difference in movement over

    the
    > cog spacing. Is this statement correct??
    >
    > In other words, I can use my 8 speed DA STI levers with a 9 speed

    der.
    > (any DA, Ultegra) to shift 8 of the 9 cogs on a 9 speed cassette.
    > Conversely, I can use DA 9 speed shifters with an 8 speed Dura Ace

    der.
    > to shift 8 cogs on an 8 speed cassette. Correct? Thanks to anyone

    who
    > can end the confusion for me!
    >
    > Cliff

    See: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html

  6. Russ Baxter

    Russ Baxter Guest

    cliff wrote:
    > I have used 9 speed downtube shifters with my DA 8sp R der to shift

    on
    > my 8 speed freewheel sucessfully. Therefore, the cable pull of 8

    speed
    > DA STi shifters and 9 speed DA shifters must be the same, and the
    > geometry of the deraillure creates the difference in movement over

    the
    > cog spacing. Is this statement correct??
    >
    > In other words, I can use my 8 speed DA STI levers with a 9 speed

    der.
    > (any DA, Ultegra) to shift 8 of the 9 cogs on a 9 speed cassette.
    > Conversely, I can use DA 9 speed shifters with an 8 speed Dura Ace

    der.
    > to shift 8 cogs on an 8 speed cassette. Correct? Thanks to anyone

    who
    > can end the confusion for me!
    >
    > Cliff

    See: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html

  7. Russ Baxter

    Russ Baxter Guest

  8. cliff <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I have used 9 speed downtube shifters with my DA 8sp R der to
    > shift on my 8 speed freewheel sucessfully. Therefore, the cable
    > pull of 8 speed DA STi shifters and 9 speed DA shifters must be
    > the same, and the geometry of the deraillure creates the
    > difference in movement over the cog spacing. Is this statement
    > correct??

    Yes.

    > In other words, I can use my 8 speed DA STI levers with a 9 speed
    > der. (any DA, Ultegra) to shift 8 of the 9 cogs on a 9 speed
    > cassette. Conversely, I can use DA 9 speed shifters with an 8
    > speed Dura Ace der. to shift 8 cogs on an 8 speed cassette.
    > Correct?

    Yes.

    Sometimes life can be easy, can't it ,-)

    --
    MfG/Best regards
    helmut springer

  9. cliff <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I have used 9 speed downtube shifters with my DA 8sp R der to
    > shift on my 8 speed freewheel sucessfully. Therefore, the cable
    > pull of 8 speed DA STi shifters and 9 speed DA shifters must be
    > the same, and the geometry of the deraillure creates the
    > difference in movement over the cog spacing. Is this statement
    > correct??

    Yes.

  10. cliff <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I have used 9 speed downtube shifters with my DA 8sp R der to
    > shift on my 8 speed freewheel sucessfully. Therefore, the cable
    > pull of 8 speed DA STi shifters and 9 speed DA shifters must be
    > the same, and the geometry of the deraillure creates the
    > difference in movement over the cog spacing. Is this statement
    > correct??

    Yes.

  11. cliff <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I have used 9 speed downtube shifters with my DA 8sp R der to
    > shift on my 8 speed freewheel sucessfully. Therefore, the cable
    > pull of 8 speed DA STi shifters and 9 speed DA shifters must be
    > the same, and the geometry of the deraillure creates the
    > difference in movement over the cog spacing. Is this statement
    > correct??

    Yes.

  12. cliff <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I have used 9 speed downtube shifters with my DA 8sp R der to
    > shift on my 8 speed freewheel sucessfully. Therefore, the cable
    > pull of 8 speed DA STi shifters and 9 speed DA shifters must be
    > the same, and the geometry of the deraillure creates the
    > difference in movement over the cog spacing. Is this statement
    > correct??

    Yes.

  13. cliff <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I have used 9 speed downtube shifters with my DA 8sp R der to
    > shift on my 8 speed freewheel sucessfully. Therefore, the cable
    > pull of 8 speed DA STi shifters and 9 speed DA shifters must be
    > the same, and the geometry of the deraillure creates the
    > difference in movement over the cog spacing. Is this statement
    > correct??

    Yes.

    > In other words, I can use my 8 speed DA STI levers with a 9 speed
    > der. (any DA, Ultegra) to shift 8 of the 9 cogs on a 9 speed
    > cassette. Conversely, I can use DA 9 speed shifters with an 8
    > speed Dura Ace der. to shift 8 cogs on an 8 speed cassette.
    > Correct?

    Yes.

    Sometimes life can be easy, can't it ,-)

    --
    MfG/Best regards
    helmut springer

  14. Helmet-<< In other words, I can use my 8 speed DA STI levers with a 9 speed
    > der. (any DA, Ultegra) to shift 8 of the 9 cogs on a 9 speed
    > cassette. Conversely, I can use DA 9 speed shifters with an 8
    > speed Dura Ace der. to shift 8 cogs on an 8 speed cassette.
    > Correct? >><BR><BR>

    NO to the first part. 8s DA sti levers will only shift 8s spacing, not 9s,
    regradless of the rear der you use.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  15. Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
    > NO to the first part.

    I beg to differ.

    > 8s DA sti levers will only shift 8s spacing, not 9s, regradless of
    > the rear der you use.

    8x DuraAce shifters pull the same amount of cable per step as any
    Shimano 9x shifter. A pre-1997 DuraAce rear derailleur will move
    for 8x spacing and all other Shimano rear derailleurs for 9x spacing
    from that pull. A difference in derailleur geometry Shimano removed
    with 9x DuraAce and the reason why 9x DuraAce shifters are marked as
    "8x/9x".

    --
    MfG/Best regards
    helmut springer

  16. Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > Helmet-<< In other words, I can use my 8 speed DA STI levers with a 9

    speed
    > > der. (any DA, Ultegra) to shift 8 of the 9 cogs on a 9 speed
    > > cassette. Conversely, I can use DA 9 speed shifters with an 8
    > > speed Dura Ace der. to shift 8 cogs on an 8 speed cassette.
    > > Correct? >><BR><BR>

    > NO to the first part. 8s DA sti levers will only shift 8s spacing,

    not 9s,
    > regradless of the rear der you use.

    Not true. I have 8s DA STI shifters shifting 8 of 9 cogs on a 9s
    cassette with an XT rder. It has worked great for years.

    Tom

  17. << I beg to differ. >><BR><BR>
    << A difference in derailleur geometry Shimano removed
    with 9x DuraAce and the reason why 9x DuraAce shifters are marked as
    "8x/9x" >><BR><BR>

    They are marked that way to shift 8s spacing using a DA 8s rear der, only that
    one. In my experience, a DA 8s shifter will not shift 9s spacing with a 9s rear
    der.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.