shimano component compatibility

danthony9

Jul 25, 2011
I have a road bike with shimano 105 components (5600) not new series which is (5700). My F derailleur broke and I need to replace it. Can I replace with Ultegra deraileur? How about the chain and rear cog set. I already replaced with Ultergra parts.

Thanks for that info. That chart spells it out. Unfortunately, the mechanics at my local shop think Shimano 105 and Ultergra are interchangeable. But they haven't been able to get my bike to shift smoothly yet!

Originally Posted by danthony9 .
I have a road bike with shimano 105 components (5600) not new series which is (5700). My F derailleur broke and I need to replace it. Can I replace with Ultegra deraileur? How about the chain and rear cog set. I already replaced with Ultergra parts.
Hi danthony9, yes you can replace it with the Ultegra 6600 FD :)

Ok, thanks, that supports the mechanics opinion. I decided on the Shimano FD 5700 because it comes in black and that will match the components already on my bike.

Originally Posted by danthony9 .

Ok, thanks, that supports the mechanics opinion. I decided on the Shimano FD 5700 because it comes in black and that will match the components already on my bike.
Hi danthony9, the 105 5700 FD is the new 105 FD and I am not sure if it is compatible with the old 105 5600 STI lever?

Please let us know if it is :)

The problem is not the comaptibility between Ultegra and 105 but the compatibility between the newer and older series. Your 105 shifters (5600) will work with front derailleurs from the same series (that is Ultegra 6600 and 105 5600 - probably Dura Ace 7600 too). According to Shimano, it will not work with the newer Ultegra 6700 OR 105 5700. I think the FD geometry has changed requiring a different cable pull ratio which you can only get with the new series shifters.