Shimano components - high end to low end?

mikefrommi

Jul 25, 2003
Does anyone know how the Shimano components are from highest to lowest quality? If so, could you list them in order from high end to low end for me? Looking at new MTB and just want to know what I am getting when it comes to components. Thanks in advance for all your help!

Here's the groupset info:

http://bike.shimano.com/mtb/index.asp

As listed on that site, they are in order of highest to lowest quality (XTR highest, Tourney lowest)

The only exception is the "DX" group, which has no relation to the others -- that's a BMX groupset; all the others are for mountain bikes.

LX: Buy if you're a weekend warrior or more. Will get you where you want to go, with quality, without breaking the bank.

XT: Buy if you're hard core about riding.. but not necessarily racing. These are the best components you can buy for the price.

XTR: Race ready. Lighter, but not that much better than XTR. I have them on my newest bike only because I want to race it. My second bike has XT and XTR.

By the way, anything below Deore is probably not worth buying. The rest of the components are good, but its good to know that the more expensive the Shimano part, the longer it will work WELL.

percious,
To a point your statement is true (about the more spent the longer it will last). The Acera and Wal-mart parts are ****. LX can last a hell of a long time, XT is bomb-proof and as reliable as anything on the market (it's the benchmark for everyday riders really). Of course XTR is the most expensive and many want it just for that alone, but it's main selling point is its weight and cutting edge works (not always the main concern of many. It is great stuff though.

Keep the rubber side down.

K.