Shimano Components Price List

"Bah" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Actually I found out that cambria bike will price match, and seeing as they ship global priority
> there is bugger all chance of getting snaffled by customs, latest order was $250usdi and took
> about a week to arrive.

what is global priority?

their site states Parcel Post, FedEx and Expediters International maybe Expediters International is
the way to get it under the customs radar I think you've been lucky as all orders >$200AUD are
subject to duties/taxes and if courier involved, a whacky electronic documentation charge

http://www.cambriabike.com/order_info.htm Parcel Post Surface / 4-12 week delivery / This is the
least expensive method. It is not easily traceable, and we do not recommend this service for
anything except smaller, less urgent, less expensive orders

Parcel Post Air / 1-3 week delivery / This method is more expensive. It has a $400.00 - $600.00
insurance limit depending upon the destination country. It is not easily traceable. We recommend
this service only for orders under 10 pounds and under $400.00 in value.

Expediters International / 4-8 day delivery / This service is fully traceable, and is a great value
for fast delivery. The order must be picked up at your nearest international airport. It is not
door to door delivery. This service is only recommended for large items such as wheels, framesets,
and complete bicycles.

FedEx International Express / 2-4 day delivery / This is the service we recommend for most
international ordering. It is fast, reliable, and traceable every step of the way.

"MPD" wrote
> As for delays - a few years back I had a parcel labeled bike parts get
stuck
> in customs and quarantine for 2 weeks - the supplier was Lizard Skins.

I would imagine that anything coming from "Lizard Skins" would seriously alarm the Customs and
quarantine people. :)

Theo

Originally posted by Theo Bekkers
"MPD" wrote
> As for delays - a few years back I had a parcel labeled bike parts get
stuck
> in customs and quarantine for 2 weeks - the supplier was Lizard Skins.

I would imagine that anything coming from "Lizard Skins" would seriously alarm the Customs and
quarantine people. :)

Theo

The way I understood the situation was that if the item(s) are delivered through an international courier (eg FEDEX) and the total of the item(s) including gst/shipping etc exceeds $250AUD then you will more than likely be required to pay duty/fees as well.

If delivered through the postal service (eg USPS->Aust. Post) then the limit is $1000AUD but it seems to be a hit or miss affair with regards to duty fees payable.

(These amounts are on the customs web site )

Im sure that somewhere the rules are clearly defined however everyone I have been in contact with (customs/aust. post) cannot give me a clear answer/explanation as to why the extras are included sometimes and not others...

MPD <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Actually I found out that cambria bike will price match, and seeing as they ship global priority
>> there is bugger all chance of getting snaffled by customs, latest order was $250usdi and took
>> about a week to arrive.
>
> what is global priority?

Its a type of air mail.

> I think you've been lucky as all orders >$200AUD are subject to duties/taxes and if courier
> involved, a whacky electronic documentation charge

Im not lucky, Im careful, Ive never ever ever ever been charged once in more than 15 years on gear
imported via post. Couriers, well that is a different matter.

> Parcel Post Air / 1-3 week delivery / This method is more expensive. It has a $400.00 - $600.00
> insurance limit depending upon the destination country. It is not easily traceable. We recommend
> this service only for orders under 10 pounds and under $400.00 in value.

Sounds about right.

Cya,

Bah.

The same rate applies regardless of Courier or Post, it's goods over $200AUD..

The main difference is that anything arriving by UPS, Fedex etc they add ridiculous paprework
handling charges that inflate the final cost, which then has GST added. I will no longer deal with
overseas companies that deal with these crooks. I used UPS twice recently to ship goods to the US,
paying for door to door service. Both clients in the US were then billed later for extra costs,
nothing to do with US Customs.

The Customs limit on posted items is a hit & miss affair. I have had a $1,200 AUD item come through
a Christmas time with no fees or GST, plus many $200 AUD puls items come direct to my P.O. Box with
no charges.

I got caught last week, the item was US$250 plus US$90 postage , they only charged me $50 AUD. The
same item in Australia was $1,299.00.

I'm still way in front compared to local prices. I try to support local business, but not when there
is a huge price difference.

John L

On 16 Apr 2003 10:30:06 +0950, troyq <[email protected]>

MPD wrote:

>>>The ones I were quoting were Shimano XT models and not on special.
>>
>>Whats the difference? Aside from 60 grams.

> 2 year warranty

Isnt that standard for Shimano?

> better shifting

I find that ramped gears and indexing make shifting so easy. How can it possibly be any easier? Are
you talking about shifters? I know the high-end ones need a little less force.

> Easier to clean (apart from the pesky holes)

You clean your gears?

--
make nospam into oz to reply.

> The way I understood the situation was that if the item(s) are delivered through an international
> courier (eg FEDEX) and the total of the item(s) including gst/shipping etc exceeds $250AUD then
> you will more than likely be required to pay duty/fees as well.
>
> If delivered through the postal service (eg USPS->Aust. Post) then the limit is $1000AUD but it
> seems to be a hit or miss affair with regards to duty fees payable.
>
> (These amounts are on the http://www.customs.gov.au/site/index.cfm?nav_id=670&area_id=5customs
> web site )

You mean http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?area_id=5&nav_id=759#1 ? [The #1 doesn't seem to
work - just click on "Import entry costs"

From what I can see, the AUD$250/$1000 is just the value at which the full paperwork (and fees?)
kick in. Duty may be payable at lower values, but using a simpler process (the Informal Clearance
Document - http://www.customs.gov.au/resources/files/b785gst.pdf ). Guess the point is that mostly
they just don't bother with that. The policy used to be that duty was waived if the amount collected
would be less than AUD$50.

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >>Whats the difference? Aside from 60 grams.
>
> > 2 year warranty
> Isnt that standard for Shimano?

correct

Shimano 3-2-1 may have got it a little miffed there I thought it used to be all components 1 year,
xt 2 and xtr 3

a.. 3 Full Years on all Dura-Ace and XTR Components
b.. 2 Full Years on all other Shimano Components
c.. 1 Full Year on all footwear and clothing sorry for confusion

> > better shifting
>
> I find that ramped gears and indexing make shifting so easy. How can it possibly be any easier?
> Are you talking about shifters? I know the high-end ones need a little less force.
hard to attribute to cassette alone - having an xtr rear and xtr shifters makes it very smooth with
little phantom shifting or overshooting the right gear

> > Easier to clean (apart from the pesky holes)
>
> You clean your gears?
Question - you don't?

open cage makes it easy to get in to, and easier to clean when removed from freehub

"Bah" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> MPD <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Im not lucky, Im careful, Ive never ever ever ever been charged once in more than 15 years on gear
> imported via post. Couriers, well that is a different matter.
>
> > Parcel Post Air / 1-3 week delivery / This method is more expensive. It
has
> > a $400.00 - $600.00 insurance limit depending upon the destination
country.
> > It is not easily traceable. We recommend this service only for orders
under
> > 10 pounds and under $400.00 in value.
>
> Sounds about right.

thanks for the tip

MPD <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > 10 pounds and under $400.00 in value.
>>
>> Sounds about right.
>>

> thanks for the tip

I also found out that they are willing to be quite flexible on postage, and have split my order and
are charging me very little more to recieve it that way.

Bah.

MPD wrote: ... Thanks for the info.

>>>Easier to clean (apart from the pesky holes)
>>
>>You clean your gears?
>
> Question - you don't?

Well, only with a water hose. Theres not so much mud around here. The chain is the only bit I bother
to clean properly. A hose and wipe for the rest. (keeping the jet away from bearings, etc)

--
make nospam into oz to reply.