Shimano Components Question

Originally posted by DiabloScott
All right!!! I was just going to suggest shortening your chain by one link because that solved the problem for me once...
Actually, that was going to be my next consideration. The chain tension is sort of at the bottom of the passable range in my leyman's opinion; seems a tad soft. Might still do that, actually.

Originally posted by lokstah
Actually, that was going to be my next consideration. The chain tension is sort of at the bottom of the passable range in my leyman's opinion; seems a tad soft. Might still do that, actually.
Make sure it handles the big/big, just in case. If there is no excess slack when in the small/small and the derailer is correct for the application(SC with a double and LC with a triple) it will aslo then handle the biggest cog the derailer is speced for if you decide to change casettes. Sizing a chain the often done way of big/big is ok for that large cog,but will result in having to fiddle with adding lilnks if switching to bigger cogs or big ring.

Thanks for the tip, boudreaux. Stay tuned for a possible chain-resizing update.

Originally posted by boudreaux
Hate to say it guys, but life is easier when you know how to do this stuff yourself. Sometomes folks really are better off not being on the leading edge. Lots more latitude for a little slop or maladjustment in an old 7 speed system too.

I agree that the leading edge isn't always what it is cracked up to be. I have a feeling that the 105 and Ultegra groups are probably more than adequate for most of us mortals.

I have 160 miles on my Ultegra components and it is working beautifully - I never thought shifting could be this silky smooth. It is truly a precision system. I have turned both front and back barrel adjusters about a half a turn each, to correct some slight hestitation in shifting to a bigger cog/ring, and it is now perfect.

Now, if I can just get the engine performing as well, I will be in business!

Speaking of this, an LBS guy told me that the derailer cage should be perpendicular to the chainstay when on the large chainring and the smallest cog... I've heard all manner of chain sizing advise. Some seems to border on witchcraft. Bourdreaux, or others, is this advise crazy/decent/right? I initially had trouble switching into the largest cog when on the small chainring (after sizing on the big/big plus two formula on a 12-25 cassette, small cage shimano RD), but worked it out with outer limit adjustment screw...

Originally posted by Randybaker99
I agree that the leading edge isn't always what it is cracked up to be. I have a feeling that the 105 and Ultegra groups are probably more than adequate for most of us mortals.
You'll get no argument from this happy Icarus. Whether I agree in practice is a different matter.

;)