Shimano Components

I'm a newbie. I'm comparing a few bikes for my 1st bike purchase in
over 20 years. I'm a little confused on the Shimano components
(specifically derailers and shifters). Can someone help me out with
where the Shimano 2200 series components (i.e. 2200, 2203) fall in the
rank of Shimano gear. Where do they line up in comparison to Tiagra,
Sora, etc.? Thanks.

On Nov 12, 11:49 am, [email protected] wrote:
> I'm a newbie. I'm comparing a few bikes for my 1st bike purchase in
> over 20 years. I'm a little confused on the Shimano components
> (specifically derailers and shifters). Can someone help me out with
> where the Shimano 2200 series components (i.e. 2200, 2203) fall in the
> rank of Shimano gear. Where do they line up in comparison to Tiagra,
> Sora, etc.? Thanks.

They're one step below Sora, but perfectly functional. If you're
looking to get a road bike to exercise or commute on--nothing wrong
with 2200. Only reason to go to Tiagra is that it and above use a two
lever system for shifting, not a lever and a button. Neither is
clearly superior. See which one ya like.

Thing to look out for is that if a bike is equipped with cheap and
cheerful 2200, it's likely going to have wheels that aren't up to
snuff--that's what I'd really worry about. Usually all that's needed
is a tuning and a bearing adjustment to keep wheel problems from
appearing, even on an inexpensive bike.

Another thing to keep in mind is that 2200 is 8 speed, while Sora is
9. If the gear ratios are right 8 speed is more than enough, and
consumables like chains and cassettes are far cheaper.

I'm a newbie. I'm comparing a few bikes for my 1st bike purchase in
over 20 years. I'm a little confused on the Shimano components
(specifically derailers and shifters). Can someone help me out with
where the Shimano 2200 series components (i.e. 2200, 2203) fall in the
rank of Shimano gear. Where do they line up in comparison to Tiagra,
Sora, etc.? Thanks.
Top to bottom:
Dura-Ace
Ultegra
105
Tiagra
Sora
2200
A050
Details of each product at:

http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/index.jsp

On Nov 12, 4:52 pm, daveornee <daveornee.2zy...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> [email protected] Wrote:> I'm a newbie. I'm comparing a few bikes for my 1st bike purchase in
> > over 20 years. I'm a little confused on the Shimano components
> > (specifically derailers and shifters). Can someone help me out with
> > where the Shimano 2200 series components (i.e. 2200, 2203) fall in the
> > rank of Shimano gear. Where do they line up in comparison to Tiagra,
> > Sora, etc.? Thanks.

> Top to bottom:
> Dura-Ace
> Ultegra
> 105
> Tiagra
> Sora
> 2200
> A050
> Details of each product at:
>
> http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/index.jsp
>
> --
> daveornee

i would recommend that you go with a sora system. since they are more
uptodate. it changes more smoothly and you can get replacements and
parts really cheaply on ebay
carlos
www.bikingthings.com
Get Faster, Enjoy Cycling, Get Fit, Live Better.