Shimano CS-HG70-9 Cassette

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Jimbob, Jan 29, 2003.

  1. Jimbob

    Jimbob Guest

    Would Shimano LX CS-HG70-9 (11-32) be a direct replacement for CS-HG70-9 (12-25) in terms
    of fitting?

    Tags:

  2. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    JimBob wrote:
    > Would Shimano LX CS-HG70-9 (11-32) be a direct replacement for CS-HG70-9 (12-25) in terms of
    > fitting?

    Should be. The LX mech is rated 34T. Just check that the overall capacity is not exceeded (and then
    forget about it because you never run big-small or small-big anyway)

    --
    Guy
    ===

  3. Simon Ward

    Simon Ward Guest

    JimBob <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Would Shimano LX CS-HG70-9 (11-32) be a direct replacement for CS-HG70-9 (12-25) in terms of
    > fitting?
    Yes - did exactly that swap not that long ago (and after a ride in a howling gale yesterday, I'm
    very glad I did). Just make sure your rear mech will cope with the large sprocket. I'm using an XT
    rear mech, but any long-cage derailleur should work.

    Simon
    --
    Simon Ward, Accent Optical Technologies (UK) Ltd., York, YO31 8SD, UK "Perl is the ideal tool for
    the inspired slacker who'd rather sing and dance than spend longer than they need to at work ..."

  4. Colin

    Colin Guest

    "JimBob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Would Shimano LX CS-HG70-9 (11-32) be a direct replacement for CS-HG70-9 (12-25) in terms of
    > fitting?

    I was looking into cassette hubs recently. If your hub body is of a recent type, called Hyperglide
    C, then you can replace the cassette directly. If it isn't, you need to put a thin spacer on the hub
    to allow the 11 tooth sprocket to clear the end of the splines.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html explains the different types of hub bodies.

    Other people have mentioned your derailleur. I didn't see you mention what type you have, but the
    cage length doesn't determine the largest sprocket you can use. Mountain bike derailleurs have more
    slope in the parallelogram than road bike derailleurs, allowing the cage to clear a larger sprocket.
    The length of the cage determines the amount of chain slack the derailleur can take up. You will
    probably need to use a mountain bike derailleur with a 32 tooth sprocket, and you must make sure
    your chain is long enough.

    Colin

  5. Jimbob

    Jimbob Guest

    "JimBob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Would Shimano LX CS-HG70-9 (11-32) be a direct replacement for CS-HG70-9 (12-25) in terms of
    > fitting?

    Sorry forgot to mention - I am using 105 throughout. The rear derailleur is 5500 GS (for a triple)
    with capacity of 37T.

    The largest sprocket quoted is 27T - is this non-negotiable?

    Cheers

  6. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Colin wrote:

    > I was looking into cassette hubs recently. If your hub body is of a recent type, called Hyperglide
    > C, then you can replace the cassette directly. If it isn't, you need to put a thin spacer on the
    > hub to allow the 11 tooth sprocket to clear the end of the splines.

    I thnk my 11-32 cassette came with the spacer included, but ICBW. I'll check when I get a minute.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  7. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    JimBob wrote:
    > Sorry forgot to mention - I am using 105 throughout. The rear derailleur is 5500 GS (for a triple)
    > with capacity of 37T.
    >
    > The largest sprocket quoted is 27T - is this non-negotiable?

    You may get a little more by screwing in the b-screw lots. It depends a bit on your dropout layout
    and the phase of the moon.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

  8. Colin

    Colin Guest

    "JimBob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Sorry forgot to mention - I am using 105 throughout. The rear derailleur is 5500 GS (for a triple)
    > with capacity of 37T.
    >
    > The largest sprocket quoted is 27T - is this non-negotiable?

    I think 32 might be too much. However if you have 105 cranks I think it's unlikely you'll need an 11
    tooth sprocket. Maybe you could use a 12-27 cassette and replace the smallest chainring with a 26,
    which gives you nearly the same low gear?

    Colin