Shimano Deore ball bearing Help..Please

Steven

Guest
Hello... I have an old Miyata touring bike that I want to bring back into
service. It has a Diore DX grop with cone wheel bearings. The front
bearings felt a bit rough, so I started to take it apart when balls started
falling all over.. I know, I should have taken care to catch them... :(
My question.... I believe there are ten balls per side, however, it looks
as though I could fit eleven in on each side..... Is the correct number 10
or 11? Also, if I wanted to replace these wheels with ones with cart
bearings, what would be a good recomendation? They are 700X32C.... Thanks
in advance.....

Steven <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello... I have an old Miyata touring bike that I want to bring
> back into service. It has a Diore DX grop with cone wheel

Nice stuff. If the bearing surfaces are still smooth I don't think
there's anything to win changing the wheels (assuming that rims and
spokes are ok).

> I could fit eleven in on each side..... Is the correct number 10
> or 11?

10.

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer

Helmut Springer <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Steven <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hello... I have an old Miyata touring bike that I want to bring
>> back into service. It has a Diore DX grop with cone wheel

> Nice stuff. If the bearing surfaces are still smooth I don't think
> there's anything to win changing the wheels (assuming that rims and
> spokes are ok).
>

>> I could fit eleven in on each side..... Is the correct number 10
>> or 11?

> 10.

Thanks for the reply.... the spokes and wheel are OK... I just need to
clean up and repack the bearings.... Thank you..... I was afraid that I
didn't have all the bearings.. LOL..
Have a great day

Steven <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Helmut Springer <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > Steven <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Hello... I have an old Miyata touring bike that I want to bring
> >> back into service. It has a Diore DX grop with cone wheel

> > Nice stuff. If the bearing surfaces are still smooth I don't think
> > there's anything to win changing the wheels (assuming that rims and
> > spokes are ok).
> >

> >> I could fit eleven in on each side..... Is the correct number 10
> >> or 11?

> > 10.
> >

> Thanks for the reply.... the spokes and wheel are OK... I just need to
> clean up and repack the bearings.... Thank you..... I was afraid that I
> didn't have all the bearings.. LOL..
> Have a great day

Hi Steven
You probably already did this, but I'd use new ball bearings. You can
get grade 25, or 50 quite cheaply @ bearring stores like King Bearing,
or Bearing Engineering, depending on where you live.
Best wishes, John

"John McGraw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Steven <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > Helmut Springer <[email protected]> wrote in
> > news:[email protected]:

> > > Nice stuff. If the bearing surfaces are still smooth I don't think
> > > there's anything to win changing the wheels (assuming that rims and
> > > spokes are ok).

> > > 10.
> > >

> > Thanks for the reply.... the spokes and wheel are OK... I just need to
> > clean up and repack the bearings.... Thank you..... I was afraid that I
> > didn't have all the bearings.. LOL..
> > Have a great day

> Hi Steven
> You probably already did this, but I'd use new ball bearings. You can
> get grade 25, or 50 quite cheaply @ bearring stores like King Bearing,
> or Bearing Engineering, depending on where you live.

Agree, new ball bearings are cheap. Another suggestion of where to find new
bearings is to check out your LBS. Shops around here sell grade 25
bearings, Campy/Dura Ace quality, for like $0.05 each, not too expensive.

Steven-<< My question.... I believe there are ten balls per side, however, it
looks
as though I could fit eleven in on each side..... Is the correct number 10
or 11? >><BR><BR>

10 3/16 inch bearing balls in the front on each side, 9 1/4 inch balls in the
rear.

Cart bearings may seem like a good idea but only if the bearings are
replaceable and use a standard size. If not you are SOL... Loose balls,
serviced regularly is a better idea IMO-

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302