Shimano Deore disk v. Avid Arch Rivals

Bob

Guest
I'm thinking of replacing my Avid Arch Rival front brake with a 2001 Shimano Deore Disk to hopefully
get me more stopping power during my winter rides. It's not too expensive -- about $110 including
wheel. Can anyone comment on the Deore disk brakes versus a V-brake like the Arch Rival?

Thanks,

Bob

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 06:09:34 -0500, "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm thinking of replacing my Avid Arch Rival front brake with a 2001 Shimano Deore Disk to
>hopefully get me more stopping power during my winter rides. It's not too expensive -- about $110
>including wheel. Can anyone comment on the Deore disk brakes versus a V-brake like the Arch Rival?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bob

You'll probably do better with the discs.

:-]

> I'm thinking of replacing my Avid Arch Rival front brake with a 2001 Shimano Deore Disk to
> hopefully get me more stopping power during my winter rides. It's not too expensive -- about $110
> including wheel. Can anyone comment on the Deore disk brakes versus a V-brake like the Arch Rival?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

Mechanical or hydraulic?
--
_________________________

In article <[email protected]>, Bob wrote:
> I'm thinking of replacing my Avid Arch Rival front brake with a 2001 Shimano Deore Disk to
> hopefully get me more stopping power during my winter rides. It's not too expensive -- about $110
> including wheel. Can anyone comment on the Deore disk brakes versus a V-brake like the Arch Rival?

Especially in the winter, disc brakes - any disc brakes - can't be beat. Go with the Deores.

JS

--
========================= [email protected] ========================
Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code

"Jan Sacharuk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Bob wrote:
> > I'm thinking of replacing my Avid Arch Rival front brake with a 2001
Shimano
> > Deore Disk to hopefully get me more stopping power during my winter
rides.
> > It's not too expensive -- about $110 including wheel. Can anyone
comment on
> > the Deore disk brakes versus a V-brake like the Arch Rival?
>
> Especially in the winter, disc brakes - any disc brakes - can't be beat. Go with the Deores.
>
> JS

That's what I was thinking too. Plus, it might be better for those rainy times. I try not to ride in
the rain, but every once in a while I get caught out in the rain.

> Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > I'm thinking of replacing my Avid Arch Rival front brake with a 2001
> Shimano
> > > Deore Disk to hopefully get me more stopping power during my winter
> rides.
> > > It's not too expensive -- about $110 including wheel. Can anyone
> comment on
> > > the Deore disk brakes versus a V-brake like the Arch Rival?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Bob
> > >

> > Mechanical or hydraulic?
>
> I was under the impression the Deores were all mech discs - may be wrong though....(first time for
> everything..).....
>
> Shaun aRe

These particular ones are mechanic. Ideally, I'd go hydraulic, but the bike I have is older, and I'm
trying to increase braking without spending too much. The bike isn't worth it, really. If I decide
to go fully suspended, then I'll go hydraulic on whatever bike I end up buying.

Thanks for the help!

--
Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com

Bob <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > > Mechanical or hydraulic?
> >
> > I was under the impression the Deores were all mech discs - may be wrong though....(first time
> > for everything..).....
> >
> > Shaun aRe
>
> These particular ones are mechanic. Ideally, I'd go hydraulic, but the
bike
> I have is older, and I'm trying to increase braking without spending too much. The bike isn't
> worth it, really. If I decide to go fully
suspended,
> then I'll go hydraulic on whatever bike I end up buying.
>
> Thanks for the help!

A mate of mine has Deore mech disks, and isn't happy with them. He's tried several makes of pad, but
he either gets reduced braking power, or lack of modulation. I gave them a quick try, and wasn't
keen either, although I'd still rather have them that V's.

Shaun aRe

"Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm thinking of replacing my Avid Arch Rival front brake with a 2001
Shimano
> Deore Disk to hopefully get me more stopping power during my winter rides. It's not too expensive
> -- about $110 including wheel. Can anyone comment
on
> the Deore disk brakes versus a V-brake like the Arch Rival?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

I've got Shimano Deore mech disks on my NRS2. While the SHIMANO disks haven't been a problem
themselves, mech disks in general have been. Oil, any amount of oil, on the rotors is a pain in the
**** - and you gotta clean the rear cassette occasionally! V's are superior in that respect - so
much easier to fix that little problem. The rear cable routing is a pain in the ****. OK, so that's
more of a bike related issue, but there's a lot of friction in the cables and as a consequence the
rear brake is hard to use and difficult to adjust. Where the cable drops off the frame and goes
along the suspensed seat stay the cable has too much looping and play and thus friction. The cable
housing fills with grit too easily too. Other than _that_ they're great when they're working well. I
enjoy them. Just don't spend your life's savings on getting them because I'm dubious of the bang
you'll get for your buck with mechanical disks. Hydralic might (hopefully) be different....

Westie

> "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I'm thinking of replacing my Avid Arch Rival front brake with a 2001
> Shimano
> > Deore Disk to hopefully get me more stopping power during my winter rides. It's not too
> > expensive -- about $110 including wheel. Can anyone comment
> on
> > the Deore disk brakes versus a V-brake like the Arch Rival?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Bob
> >

> I've got Shimano Deore mech disks on my NRS2. While the SHIMANO disks haven't been a problem
> themselves, mech disks in general have been. Oil, any amount of oil, on the rotors is a pain in
> the **** - and you gotta clean the rear cassette occasionally! V's are superior in that respect -
> so much easier to fix that little problem.

The cassette is on the opposite side of the wheel, you know :)

> The rear cable routing is a pain in the ****. OK, so that's more of a bike related issue, but
> there's a lot of friction in the cables and as a consequence the rear brake is hard to use and
> difficult to adjust. Where the cable drops off the frame and goes along the suspensed seat stay
> the cable has too much looping and play and thus friction. The cable housing fills with grit too
> easily too.

Whenever I install a cable disc I go for the extra couple of bucks for Shimano SLR/XTR cable
housing which doesn't compress easily and a teflon coated brake cable. Then I put some thought into
how to route the housing the in the shortest and straightest path possible while still allowing
suspension movement.

I like the Avid mechanicals but the Deore hydraulic are cheaper than Avids and require virtually no
maintenance or adjustment. So, there are really only two reasons to buy Avids; you have brake/shift
lever combos you can't break up or you are afraid of installing and bleeding hydraulic brakes
yourself. (and I'm telling you people, it's EASIER than messing with cables)
--
_________________________

In article <[email protected]>, Westridge wrote:

> Oil, any amount of oil, on the rotors is a pain in the **** - and you gotta clean the rear
> cassette occasionally! V's are superior in that respect - so much easier to fix that little
> problem.

This is a problem common to all disk brakes, even hydraulics. It's just something that you have to
live with.

BTW, I fouled two sets of pads last year, and I found that, by far, the Kool Stop pads provided much
better grab on my rotors. That's for Hayes pads, but I figure if the aftermarket pads are better for
Hayes (and cheaper, too!) they might offer something to the other brake systems.

JS

--
========================= [email protected] ========================
Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code
header to see my Geek Code
I'm so happy, 'cause today I found my friends, they're in my head.... -Nirvana

"Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <snip>
> > Oil, any amount of oil, on the rotors is a pain in the **** - and you
gotta
> > clean the rear cassette occasionally! V's are superior in that
respect - so
> > much easier to fix that little problem.
>
> The cassette is on the opposite side of the wheel, you know :)

Ahhhh... Indeed. They can't get anything past you, can they? ;-P And perhaps that's why I was lulled
into a false sense of security at the time. Why worry about flicking a little oil onto the rotors?
After-all, they're on the other side of the wheel!

> > The rear cable routing is a pain in the ****. OK, so that's more of a
bike
> > related issue, but there's a lot of friction in the cables and as a consequence the rear brake
> > is hard to use and difficult to adjust. Where the cable drops off the frame and goes along the
> > suspensed seat
stay
> > the cable has too much looping and play and thus friction. The cable
housing
> > fills with grit too easily too.
>
> Whenever I install a cable disc I go for the extra couple of bucks for Shimano SLR/XTR cable
> housing which doesn't compress easily and a teflon coated brake cable. Then I put some thought
> into how to route the housing the in the shortest and straightest path possible while still
> allowing suspension movement.

New bike. Breaking it in. Recent problem. Learning curve. Yet to make serious adjustments. Thank you
for the ideas. I had never heard of teflon coated cables. Routing is still a problem although I do
intend to reduce the length of some of the housings so that the 'loops' are straighter and more
'direct' in their route.

> I like the Avid mechanicals but the Deore hydraulic are cheaper than Avids and require virtually
> no maintenance or adjustment. So, there are really only two reasons to buy Avids; you have
> brake/shift lever combos you can't break up or you are afraid of installing and bleeding hydraulic
> brakes yourself. (and I'm telling you people, it's EASIER than messing with cables)

I'm inclined to agree even though I've never used hydraulic. Cables definitely have their own
particular problems!

Westie