Shimano Deore Mechanical Disc Brake

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Waldron, Jun 4, 2004.

  1. Waldron

    Waldron Guest

    Has anyone fitted the Shimano Deore Mechanical Disc Brake to a rigid
    fork that does not have existing braze on mounts? What issues did you
    encounter? I have mounted one of the Hugi/Union units and it was a
    PITA to get it straight; I finally had to machine a fixture for it.

    I'd be interested in any experiences with this brake unit. I'm
    planning to use it on a tandem as a back-up brake.

    Jones

    Tags:

  2. Ted Bennett

    Ted Bennett Guest

    > Has anyone fitted the Shimano Deore Mechanical Disc Brake to a rigid
    > fork that does not have existing braze on mounts? What issues did you
    > encounter? I have mounted one of the Hugi/Union units and it was a
    > PITA to get it straight; I finally had to machine a fixture for it.
    >
    > I'd be interested in any experiences with this brake unit. I'm
    > planning to use it on a tandem as a back-up brake.
    >
    > Jones

    If you consider the difference in braking forces on the fork between rim
    and hub brakes, you could easily come to the conclusion that what you
    are proposing is unsound. Using a tandem fork is likely strong enough,
    but I'd be leery of bolting a mount on the bottom of most road bike
    forks.

    --
    Ted Bennett
    Portland OR

  3. Waldron

    Waldron Guest

    On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 01:55:44 GMT, in rec.bicycles.tech Ted Bennett
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Has anyone fitted the Shimano Deore Mechanical Disc Brake to a rigid
    >> fork that does not have existing braze on mounts? What issues did you
    >> encounter? I have mounted one of the Hugi/Union units and it was a
    >> PITA to get it straight; I finally had to machine a fixture for it.
    >>
    >> I'd be interested in any experiences with this brake unit. I'm
    >> planning to use it on a tandem as a back-up brake.
    >>

    >If you consider the difference in braking forces on the fork between rim
    >and hub brakes, you could easily come to the conclusion that what you
    >are proposing is unsound. Using a tandem fork is likely strong enough,
    >but I'd be leery of bolting a mount on the bottom of most road bike
    >forks.

    I would tend to agree with you, sir, if the objective were to stop the
    machine more quickly; however, cantilever brakes will effectively stop
    a tandem *if* they are cool. (Hey, man! *Everything* I build is
    cool!) Use the hub brakes to knock the top off of a decent, then back
    off the hubs and pull in the (cool) cantilevers when you need to stop.
    I use bar-end levers for the hub brakes. They end up being at a
    somewhat awkward position... but they *look* cool and that's real
    important!