Shimano Deore Mechanical Disc Brake

Waldron

Guest
Has anyone fitted the Shimano Deore Mechanical Disc Brake to a rigid
fork that does not have existing braze on mounts? What issues did you
encounter? I have mounted one of the Hugi/Union units and it was a
PITA to get it straight; I finally had to machine a fixture for it.

I'd be interested in any experiences with this brake unit. I'm
planning to use it on a tandem as a back-up brake.

Jones

> Has anyone fitted the Shimano Deore Mechanical Disc Brake to a rigid
> fork that does not have existing braze on mounts? What issues did you
> encounter? I have mounted one of the Hugi/Union units and it was a
> PITA to get it straight; I finally had to machine a fixture for it.
>
> I'd be interested in any experiences with this brake unit. I'm
> planning to use it on a tandem as a back-up brake.
>
> Jones

If you consider the difference in braking forces on the fork between rim
and hub brakes, you could easily come to the conclusion that what you
are proposing is unsound. Using a tandem fork is likely strong enough,
but I'd be leery of bolting a mount on the bottom of most road bike
forks.

--
Ted Bennett
Portland OR

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 01:55:44 GMT, in rec.bicycles.tech Ted Bennett
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Has anyone fitted the Shimano Deore Mechanical Disc Brake to a rigid
>> fork that does not have existing braze on mounts? What issues did you
>> encounter? I have mounted one of the Hugi/Union units and it was a
>> PITA to get it straight; I finally had to machine a fixture for it.
>>
>> I'd be interested in any experiences with this brake unit. I'm
>> planning to use it on a tandem as a back-up brake.
>>

>If you consider the difference in braking forces on the fork between rim
>and hub brakes, you could easily come to the conclusion that what you
>are proposing is unsound. Using a tandem fork is likely strong enough,
>but I'd be leery of bolting a mount on the bottom of most road bike
>forks.

I would tend to agree with you, sir, if the objective were to stop the
machine more quickly; however, cantilever brakes will effectively stop
a tandem *if* they are cool. (Hey, man! *Everything* I build is
cool!) Use the hub brakes to knock the top off of a decent, then back
off the hubs and pull in the (cool) cantilevers when you need to stop.
I use bar-end levers for the hub brakes. They end up being at a
somewhat awkward position... but they *look* cool and that's real
important!