Shimano Deore Mega-9 shifter falls apart - warranty?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bruce, Mar 4, 2003.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Shimano Deore Mega-9 shifter falls apart while riding on the road. Front one. The bottom has fallen
    off, with levers and small bits. Also, the gear indicator (1-3) stopped working after only a few
    hundred kilometres. I told the shop, but didnt care. Perhaps I should have! It may have been slowly
    coming undone since new?

    I took bike back to the shop to get it replaced, pick it up and nothing had been done. Guy says it
    needs replacing. Dah! Not in stock. (This is a big shop, but I guess it doesnt break often.) He is
    rather surprised that I want it replaced on warranty. Am I asking too much? This bike is less than a
    year old, original chain, and has been off-bitumen (asphalt), but rarely off-road. He said he will
    phone Shimano in the morning.

    I have checked the Shimano website, and their express warranty seems to be almost worthless. At
    their discretion. But wouldnt even a statutory warranty cover this?

    I downloaded a couple of PDFs, and it seems this is not a servicable part. The exploded view doesnt
    show the central mechanism. Is it possible to re-assemble this (assuming nothing is broken) ? I'm
    guessing it wasnt put together properly, or some part like a clip was faulty and broke.

    Any advice here please?

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Bruce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Shimano Deore Mega-9 shifter falls apart while riding on the road. Front one. The bottom has
    > fallen off, with levers and small bits. Also, the gear indicator (1-3) stopped working after only
    > a few hundred kilometres. I told the shop, but didnt care. Perhaps I should have! It may have been
    > slowly coming undone since new?
    >
    > I took bike back to the shop to get it replaced, pick it up and nothing had been done. Guy says it
    > needs replacing. Dah! Not in stock. (This is a big shop, but I guess it doesnt break often.) He is
    > rather surprised that I want it replaced on warranty. Am I asking too much? This bike is less than
    > a year old, original chain, and has been off-bitumen (asphalt), but rarely off-road. He said he
    > will phone Shimano in the morning.
    >
    > I have checked the Shimano website, and their express warranty seems to be almost worthless. At
    > their discretion. But wouldnt even a statutory warranty cover this?
    >
    > I downloaded a couple of PDFs, and it seems this is not a servicable part. The exploded view
    > doesnt show the central mechanism. Is it possible to re-assemble this (assuming nothing is broken)
    > ? I'm guessing it wasnt put together properly, or some part like a clip was faulty and broke.
    >
    > Any advice here please?

    I would have a nice, calm discussion with the owner of the shop, explaining that you bought this
    bicycle less than a year ago and that your one-year-warranty shifter has committed suicide.

    Ask him nicely for a new one. I don't think you should pay for it, either.

  3. bruce-<< Shimano Deore Mega-9 shifter falls apart while riding on the road. Front one. The bottom
    has fallen off, with levers and small bits. Also, the gear indicator (1-3) stopped working after
    only a few hundred kilometres.

    << He is rather surprised that I want it replaced on warranty

    Warranty-absolutely-make the shop do their job...

  4. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    A Muzi wrote:

    > I would have a nice, calm discussion with the owner of the shop, explaining that you bought this
    > bicycle less than a year ago and that your one-year-warranty shifter has committed suicide.

    Thanks folks. Anyway, he called back with a better attitude. So I've posted off the part.

    > Ask him nicely for a new one. I don't think you should pay for it, either.

    I think the alternative is to buy a friction-shifter, so i dont need to worry about it breaking
    again! :)

    I opened it up and found why the gear-indicator had broken. A tiny, flimsy stick of plastic
    had snapped.