Shimano Deore Mega-9 shifter falls apart - warranty?

Bruce

Guest
Shimano Deore Mega-9 shifter falls apart while riding on the road. Front one. The bottom has fallen
off, with levers and small bits. Also, the gear indicator (1-3) stopped working after only a few
hundred kilometres. I told the shop, but didnt care. Perhaps I should have! It may have been slowly
coming undone since new?

I took bike back to the shop to get it replaced, pick it up and nothing had been done. Guy says it
needs replacing. Dah! Not in stock. (This is a big shop, but I guess it doesnt break often.) He is
rather surprised that I want it replaced on warranty. Am I asking too much? This bike is less than a
year old, original chain, and has been off-bitumen (asphalt), but rarely off-road. He said he will
phone Shimano in the morning.

I have checked the Shimano website, and their express warranty seems to be almost worthless. At
their discretion. But wouldnt even a statutory warranty cover this?

I downloaded a couple of PDFs, and it seems this is not a servicable part. The exploded view doesnt
show the central mechanism. Is it possible to re-assemble this (assuming nothing is broken) ? I'm
guessing it wasnt put together properly, or some part like a clip was faulty and broke.

Any advice here please?

"Bruce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shimano Deore Mega-9 shifter falls apart while riding on the road. Front one. The bottom has
> fallen off, with levers and small bits. Also, the gear indicator (1-3) stopped working after only
> a few hundred kilometres. I told the shop, but didnt care. Perhaps I should have! It may have been
> slowly coming undone since new?
>
> I took bike back to the shop to get it replaced, pick it up and nothing had been done. Guy says it
> needs replacing. Dah! Not in stock. (This is a big shop, but I guess it doesnt break often.) He is
> rather surprised that I want it replaced on warranty. Am I asking too much? This bike is less than
> a year old, original chain, and has been off-bitumen (asphalt), but rarely off-road. He said he
> will phone Shimano in the morning.
>
> I have checked the Shimano website, and their express warranty seems to be almost worthless. At
> their discretion. But wouldnt even a statutory warranty cover this?
>
> I downloaded a couple of PDFs, and it seems this is not a servicable part. The exploded view
> doesnt show the central mechanism. Is it possible to re-assemble this (assuming nothing is broken)
> ? I'm guessing it wasnt put together properly, or some part like a clip was faulty and broke.
>
> Any advice here please?

I would have a nice, calm discussion with the owner of the shop, explaining that you bought this
bicycle less than a year ago and that your one-year-warranty shifter has committed suicide.

Ask him nicely for a new one. I don't think you should pay for it, either.

bruce-<< Shimano Deore Mega-9 shifter falls apart while riding on the road. Front one. The bottom
has fallen off, with levers and small bits. Also, the gear indicator (1-3) stopped working after
only a few hundred kilometres.

<< He is rather surprised that I want it replaced on warranty

Warranty-absolutely-make the shop do their job...

A Muzi wrote:

> I would have a nice, calm discussion with the owner of the shop, explaining that you bought this
> bicycle less than a year ago and that your one-year-warranty shifter has committed suicide.

Thanks folks. Anyway, he called back with a better attitude. So I've posted off the part.

> Ask him nicely for a new one. I don't think you should pay for it, either.

I think the alternative is to buy a friction-shifter, so i dont need to worry about it breaking
again! :)

I opened it up and found why the gear-indicator had broken. A tiny, flimsy stick of plastic
had snapped.