Shimano Deore rear derailleur shifting delay, advice?

terrya

Jan 15, 2004
Hi.

First post, great forum :)

Hoping on of you can offer advice on a slight "problem" I'm having with my new bike. Bought a Scott Tampico having ridden my old Giant ATX760 into the ground .My old bike had XT shifters and derailleurs (upgraded, they weren't stock) and shifting was precise and accurate. On the first ride with the Scott I noticed that shifting up (to the larger cogs) was fine, but on shifting down there's a noticeable lag or delay of almost 2 seconds before the gear is engaged. I've set the derailleur up properly, indexing is spot on, no noise from the chain rubbing adjacent cogs, and also made sure the chain (brand new) is lubed correctly, so I'm starting to think it might be an issue with the derailleur spring or cage.....perhaps it's the 9-speed cassette? I'm not shifting under load, being careful of "lightening" my pedal stroke somewhat as I shift....so I'm wondering if there are other tweaks I could try or whether I should take it to the store and get a replacement RD.

Advice / suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Check your cable, it sounds like it is sticking, remove the cable from the sleeves, lube, and reinstall.

Originally posted by Julian Radowsky
Check your cable, it sounds like it is sticking, remove the cable from the sleeves, lube, and reinstall.

Hi

Thanks that sounds like a V good suggestion....I'll give it a try and report back!

Originally posted by Julian Radowsky

Hi, weird....my previous message dissapeared....

Anyway that's a good suggestion, thanks! I'll give it a try this evening and report back :)

T

Cables are sticking or cable is too tight. Turn barrel adjustmers on derrailleur or shifters clockwise a turn or two and try again.

Originally posted by Hecubus
Cables are sticking or cable is too tight. Turn barrel adjustmers on derrailleur or shifters clockwise a turn or two and try again.

OK I tried both solutions, greased the cable and housings, and also tweaked the barrel adjuster on the derailleur...problem solved!! Went for a great ride yesterday evening, shifting is smooth and quick now.

Thanks guys :)