Shimano derailer compatibility?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Iceberg, Mar 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iceberg

Iceberg Guest

Am I right in thinking a 7 speed megarange derailer is compatible with a 6 speed 14/34 freewheel and
    the indexing would still work (up to 6)? I've seen stuff on the web saying you can use a 7 speed
    derailer with an 8 or 9 speed freewheel, but can't find much else.

Tags:

2. Iceberg wrote:
    > Am I right in thinking a 7 speed megarange derailer is compatible with a 6 speed 14/34 freewheel
    > and the indexing would still work (up to 6)?

The short answer is "yes."

> I've seen stuff on the web saying you can use a 7 speed derailer with an 8 or 9 speed freewheel,
    > but can't find much else.

That's 'cause there's no such thing as a "7-speed" derailer. The derailer doesn't care how many
    speeds, that's an issue for the shift control and the rear cluster.

When you see a derailer referred to as a *-speed, that's just marketing spin, not a functional
    description.

Sheldon "It'll Work Just Dandy" Brown +-------------------------------------------+
    | If Stupidity got us into this mess, | then why can't it get us out? | -- Will Rogers |
    +-------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
    617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

3. K. B. Rook

K. B. Rook Guest

Iceberg wrote:
    >
    > I've seen stuff on the web saying you can use a 7 speed derailer with an 8 or 9 speed freewheel,
    > but can't find much else.

I have used this combination in the past with no problems.

4. G.Daniels

G.Daniels Guest

itsa gas!! take a look at Harris's gear cluster list, there's an 8-speed combo that'll mod to a 14
    high and add a mid gear under the low for a really fine fat cluster. if you're going from an older
    deray to a new deore or... a gas also as the entiore unit pivots at two points not one keeping the
    chain of armadillos and gopher torti!

5. Iceberg

Iceberg Guest

"Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Iceberg wrote:
    > > Am I right in thinking a 7 speed megarange derailer is compatible with a 6 speed 14/34 freewheel
    > > and the indexing would still work (up to 6)?
    >
    > The short answer is "yes."
    >
    > > I've seen stuff on the web saying you can use a 7 speed derailer with an 8
    or 9
    > > speed freewheel, but can't find much else.
    >
    > That's 'cause there's no such thing as a "7-speed" derailer. The derailer doesn't care how many
    > speeds, that's an issue for the shift control and the rear cluster.
    >
    > When you see a derailer referred to as a *-speed, that's just marketing spin, not a functional
    > description.
    >
    > Sheldon "It'll Work Just Dandy" Brown

Thanks a lot Sheldon and by the way, your excellent web-site has been an enourmous help over the
    past few weeks since I dug my old bike out the shed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.