Shimano derailer compatibility?

Iceberg

Guest
Am I right in thinking a 7 speed megarange derailer is compatible with a 6 speed 14/34 freewheel and
the indexing would still work (up to 6)? I've seen stuff on the web saying you can use a 7 speed
derailer with an 8 or 9 speed freewheel, but can't find much else.

Iceberg wrote:
> Am I right in thinking a 7 speed megarange derailer is compatible with a 6 speed 14/34 freewheel
> and the indexing would still work (up to 6)?

The short answer is "yes."

> I've seen stuff on the web saying you can use a 7 speed derailer with an 8 or 9 speed freewheel,
> but can't find much else.

That's 'cause there's no such thing as a "7-speed" derailer. The derailer doesn't care how many
speeds, that's an issue for the shift control and the rear cluster.

When you see a derailer referred to as a *-speed, that's just marketing spin, not a functional
description.

Sheldon "It'll Work Just Dandy" Brown +-------------------------------------------+
| If Stupidity got us into this mess, | then why can't it get us out? | -- Will Rogers |
+-------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

Iceberg wrote:

> I've seen stuff on the web saying you can use a 7 speed derailer with an 8 or 9 speed freewheel,
> but can't find much else.

I have used this combination in the past with no problems.

itsa gas!! take a look at Harris's gear cluster list, there's an 8-speed combo that'll mod to a 14
high and add a mid gear under the low for a really fine fat cluster. if you're going from an older
deray to a new deore or... a gas also as the entiore unit pivots at two points not one keeping the
chain of armadillos and gopher torti!

> Iceberg wrote:
> > Am I right in thinking a 7 speed megarange derailer is compatible with a 6 speed 14/34 freewheel
> > and the indexing would still work (up to 6)?
>
> The short answer is "yes."
>
> > I've seen stuff on the web saying you can use a 7 speed derailer with an 8
or 9
> > speed freewheel, but can't find much else.
>
> That's 'cause there's no such thing as a "7-speed" derailer. The derailer doesn't care how many
> speeds, that's an issue for the shift control and the rear cluster.
>
> When you see a derailer referred to as a *-speed, that's just marketing spin, not a functional
> description.
>
> Sheldon "It'll Work Just Dandy" Brown

Thanks a lot Sheldon and by the way, your excellent web-site has been an enourmous help over the
past few weeks since I dug my old bike out the shed!