Shimano derailer compatibility?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Iceberg, Mar 31, 2003.

  1. Iceberg

    Iceberg Guest

    Am I right in thinking a 7 speed megarange derailer is compatible with a 6 speed 14/34 freewheel and
    the indexing would still work (up to 6)? I've seen stuff on the web saying you can use a 7 speed
    derailer with an 8 or 9 speed freewheel, but can't find much else.

    Tags:

  2. Iceberg wrote:
    > Am I right in thinking a 7 speed megarange derailer is compatible with a 6 speed 14/34 freewheel
    > and the indexing would still work (up to 6)?

    The short answer is "yes."

    > I've seen stuff on the web saying you can use a 7 speed derailer with an 8 or 9 speed freewheel,
    > but can't find much else.

    That's 'cause there's no such thing as a "7-speed" derailer. The derailer doesn't care how many
    speeds, that's an issue for the shift control and the rear cluster.

    When you see a derailer referred to as a *-speed, that's just marketing spin, not a functional
    description.

    Sheldon "It'll Work Just Dandy" Brown +-------------------------------------------+
    | If Stupidity got us into this mess, | then why can't it get us out? | -- Will Rogers |
    +-------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  3. K. B. Rook

    K. B. Rook Guest

    Iceberg wrote:

    > I've seen stuff on the web saying you can use a 7 speed derailer with an 8 or 9 speed freewheel,
    > but can't find much else.

    I have used this combination in the past with no problems.

  4. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    itsa gas!! take a look at Harris's gear cluster list, there's an 8-speed combo that'll mod to a 14
    high and add a mid gear under the low for a really fine fat cluster. if you're going from an older
    deray to a new deore or... a gas also as the entiore unit pivots at two points not one keeping the
    chain of armadillos and gopher torti!

  5. Iceberg

    Iceberg Guest

    > Iceberg wrote:
    > > Am I right in thinking a 7 speed megarange derailer is compatible with a 6 speed 14/34 freewheel
    > > and the indexing would still work (up to 6)?
    >
    > The short answer is "yes."
    >
    > > I've seen stuff on the web saying you can use a 7 speed derailer with an 8
    or 9
    > > speed freewheel, but can't find much else.
    >
    > That's 'cause there's no such thing as a "7-speed" derailer. The derailer doesn't care how many
    > speeds, that's an issue for the shift control and the rear cluster.
    >
    > When you see a derailer referred to as a *-speed, that's just marketing spin, not a functional
    > description.
    >
    > Sheldon "It'll Work Just Dandy" Brown

    Thanks a lot Sheldon and by the way, your excellent web-site has been an enourmous help over the
    past few weeks since I dug my old bike out the shed!