Shimano Derailleur Adjustment 101 (assistance needed)

rdy4trvl

Jan 10, 2007
Front Derailleur-Dura-Ace
When the chain is on the large chain ring, the chain rubs (very slightly) against the outer guide of the derailleur cage. The top adjustment screw doesn't seem to change the final resting location of the cage - it seems to adjust the "throw" (the cage moves over further when shifting but returns to a position right above the chain ring). In reading the Shimano installation instructions they say "The level section of the chain guide outer plate should be directly above and parallel to the largest chain ring." - won't this guarantee the chain will hit the cage?

Rear Derailleur - Shimano Ultegra
This is a 10 speed (a big change from my 7). I can't seem to adjust to shift to the largest cog. However, I can get it to shift beyond the smallest cog (I can correct this easily).

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks

Full Disclosure - I live in Florida and probably only need 2 gears (into the wind, with the wind). I rode a 188 mile brevet last weekend and one fellow rider rode the route on a fixed gear bike.

rdy4trvl said:
Front Derailleur-Dura-Ace
When the chain is on the large chain ring, the chain rubs (very slightly) against the outer guide of the derailleur cage. The top adjustment screw doesn't seem to change the final resting location of the cage - it seems to adjust the "throw" (the cage moves over further when shifting but returns to a position right above the chain ring). In reading the Shimano installation instructions they say "The level section of the chain guide outer plate should be directly above and parallel to the largest chain ring." - won't this guarantee the chain will hit the cage?

Rear Derailleur - Shimano Ultegra
This is a 10 speed (a big change from my 7). I can't seem to adjust to shift to the largest cog. However, I can get it to shift beyond the smallest cog (I can correct this easily).

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks

Full Disclosure - I live in Florida and probably only need 2 gears (into the wind, with the wind). I rode a 188 mile brevet last weekend and one fellow rider rode the route on a fixed gear bike.
I'm not a mechanic, but your description of the FD problem suggests to me that taking a bit of slack out of the cable might help.

OldGoat said:
I'm not a mechanic, but your description of the FD problem suggests to me that taking a bit of slack out of the cable might help.
Silence is golden (especially silent FD's)! That fixed it in 2 seconds. Not a mechanic but you play a pretty good one. Thanks!

Bravo! Glad you got in there and fixed your problem. For future reference Sheldon Brown's web pages have a wealth of information and links for bike maintenance. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/ I do all my own work, thanks to Sheldon and the special tools and advice from a local public bike program, Bicas here in Tucson. Best of luck.

You just have to remember that the screws are limit screws. The cable does all of your shifting.

Before you go for a ride check that you cannot push the chain off the big ring through shifting, same for drppping down onto the small ring.

Also worth checking that the limit screws in the rear der are correct and it can make a mess of spokes and rear der if it over shifts. If you have brand new equipment the instructions supplied should be simple enough to follow.