Shimano Dura-Ace 2009 Power meter?

xtrainer

Nov 22, 2006
I have heard rumours that the new electronic 2009 Dura-Ace may have power meter capabilities before the end of year 2009. The new features will be added to their new 2009 Dura-Ace compatible Flight Deck computer, due to be released in the spring of 2009.

Can anybody confirm the rumour?

Actually, this was floated on cyclingnews some time back...around the time they 1st got their hands on a 7900 gruppo to review. It makes sense for Shimano to turn their hand to something like this...the market is there...as usual, if Shimano lead, campy will be sure to be working on something similar with 'ergobrain'...I'd be staggered if one or both didn't enter the P.M market within the next 12 mths

tonyzackery said:
Is your rumour source reliable or not?
I guess the source (this time) was the german Tour magazine, who mentioned something in their test of the latest DuraAce 7900. Any Tour readers here?

xtrainer said:
I guess the source (this time) was the german Tour magazine, who mentioned something in their test of the latest DuraAce 7900. Any Tour readers here?
The 7900 series FlightDeck Computer is now using ANT+Sport technology for it's sensors. It only makes sense that eventually it can be used as a power pickup for compatible devices (SRM, CinQo, PowerTap, etc).

At yes, it makes sense that eventually they will enter the power market.

Of course the main problem is the patents. Unless shimano can find a new method for measuring power they'll end up licensing and unit cost will go up.

liversedge said:
Of course the main problem is the patents. Unless shimano can find a new method for measuring power they'll end up licensing and unit cost will go up.

It's an issue they'll have to sort out, for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if shimano decided that something covered by an existing patent was one of the better ways to go...& acquired the patent or the whole company. Typically you'd look at something like Quarq & make 'em an offer they can't refuse...Shimano have plenty of $$$$ & have shown a willingness to spend in the past. With 'gruppo' development seemingly getting toward it's 'zenith', it'd be a logical move for them. As I said in an earlier post, I'd be very surprised if they haven't already spent a fair chunk of R & D money with PM's

Hitchy said:
It's an issue they'll have to sort out, for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if shimano decided that something covered by an existing patent was one of the better ways to go...& acquired the patent or the whole company. Typically you'd look at something like Quarq & make 'em an offer they can't refuse...Shimano have plenty of $$$$ & have shown a willingness to spend in the past. With 'gruppo' development seemingly getting toward it's 'zenith', it'd be a logical move for them. As I said in an earlier post, I'd be very surprised if they haven't already spent a fair chunk of R & D money with PM's
The other consideration is where did Quarq get it's start up capital from? Perhaps someone like Shimano or FSA (essentially only works with FSA style cranks) was a backer.

I'm sure we'll see some movement in this area in the next 18 months.

Hitchy said:

Well, I know the ergomo patent is up for grabs now.....

Hunter

liversedge said:

My understanding is that Quarq couldn't release until the SRM patent expired, which recently occurred.

Wasn't Shimano talking about bottom bracket PM's in the past?