Shimano Dura Ace Downtube Shifter Question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Andy Tebben, Mar 1, 2003.

  1. Andy Tebben

    Andy Tebben Guest

    I recently picked up a set of Shimano Dura-Ace 7sp downtube shifters to replace the aging
    components on my old Schwinn Premis. I had no problem with the right hand lever, but the left hand
    lever has baffled
    me. There doesn't seem to be any way to mount it so that the lower limit stop stops the lever
    parallel with the downtube, it is always at an angle. Can anyone give me a clue as to what
    I'm missing?

    Thanks, Andy

    Tags:

  2. > I recently picked up a set of Shimano Dura-Ace 7sp downtube shifters to replace the aging
    > components on my old Schwinn Premis. I had no problem with the right hand lever, but the left hand
    > lever has baffled
    > me. There doesn't seem to be any way to mount it so that the lower limit stop stops the lever
    > parallel with the downtube, it is always at an angle. Can anyone give me a clue as to what I'm
    > missing?
    >
    > Thanks, Andy

    Andy: Shimano made a number of downtube levers where the left side intentionally didn't go all the
    way forward. The rationale was that it didn't need as much travel as the right side, and that it was
    more convenient somehow to not have to reach as far for it.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReaction.com

  3. Mike Krueger

    Mike Krueger Guest

    << the left hand lever has baffled
    me. There doesn't seem to be any way to mount it so that the lower limit stop stops the lever
    parallel with the downtube, it is always at an angle. Can anyone give me a clue as to what I'm
    missing? >>

    You are not doing anything wrong. Shimano designed it that way.

  4. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >I recently picked up a set of Shimano Dura-Ace 7sp downtube shifters to replace the aging
    >components on my old Schwinn Premis.

    I hope you have the DA rear derailleur to match or are planning of friction shifting...

    jon isaacs

  5. "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I recently picked up a set of Shimano Dura-Ace 7sp downtube shifters to replace the aging
    > > components on my old Schwinn Premis. I had no problem with the right hand lever, but the left
    > > hand lever has baffled
    > > me. There doesn't seem to be any way to mount it so that the lower limit stop stops the lever
    > > parallel with the downtube, it is always at an angle. Can anyone give me a clue as to what
    > > I'm missing?
    > >
    > > Thanks, Andy
    >
    > Andy: Shimano made a number of downtube levers where the left side intentionally didn't go all the
    > way forward. The rationale was that it didn't need as much travel as the right side, and that it
    > was more convenient somehow to not have to reach as far for it.
    >
    > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReaction.com

    Most people shifted both the rear and front with their right hand ( according to the all-seeing,
    all-knowing folks at Shimano ) so the front lever was kicked up a few degrees to make it "easier" to
    get your right hand fingers under it when going for an upshift. --Jim

  6. > Most people shifted both the rear and front with their right hand ( according to the all-seeing,
    > all-knowing folks at Shimano ) so the front lever was kicked up a few degrees to make it "easier"
    > to get your right hand fingers under it when going for an upshift. --Jim

    Ah yes, I do recall that reasoning! I'll have to take notice of how I shift while riding the Iron
    Pig (my ultra-retro rain bike), although I'm not sure I count, since I'm left-handed.

  7. tebben-<< There doesn't seem to be any way to mount it so that the lower limit stop stops the lever
    parallel with the downtube, it is always at an angle.

    By design, the left lever sits up a little, the idea was that DT shifter riders shift the left lever
    with their right hand, so it was easier to 'reach'...dumb idea-everybody knows you use left-left,
    right-right-

  8. lpederson

    lpederson New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2003
    Andy,
    I just picked up a Premis and am looking at replacing many of the compononents. I'd be curious to know what you've added to yours.

    TIA
    Lise