Shimano Dura-Ace Or Ultegra

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by SUPER RIDER, Mar 20, 2008.

1. SUPER RIDER

SUPER RIDER New Member

I am about to build up a new Cannondale Six 13 frame, and I'll like to get opinions on which Shimano components would serve me better as to reliability, longevity and just plain fun.

I am leaning this way:

Cranks - Dura-Ace

BB - Ultegra

Brakes - Ultegra

R. Derailleur - Ultegra

F. Derailleur - Ultegra

Shifters - Dura-Ace

I currently ride a Shimano 105 Triple, and have decided that my new build is gonna be a standard double.

All opinions are welcomed and appreciated.

Super Rider

Tags:

2. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Good mix, but why use any DA at all? IMHO, Ultegra is as good as DA but generally lasts longer as it is more substantial, albeit slightly heavier. Unless you are a real weight weenie, and you aren't because of all the Ultegra you are using, you would be better off in the wallet by sticking completely with Ultegra.

3. daveornee

daveornee New Member

Current Cranksets include the Bottom Bracket so you will need to choose Ultegra or Dura Ace.
    I certainly like both, but unless "coffee-shop points" are high priority, I suggest go with all Ultegra. Ultegra has the SL line and has grey or shiny silver colors too. My experience with both is good, but warranty on Dura Ace shifter/brake levers helped me through a replacement once, but wasn't long enough on the Ultegra to keep me riding for 3 years... so I guess that item would be up to your feel and finances.

4. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Well, if you are serious about bang for your buck, just go with a complete ultegra setup. If you need to the latest and greatest, wait a bit and pay top dollar for the forthcoming 'new and improved' DA.

5. Fizzy23

Fizzy23 New Member

I have run both and you will be fine with Ultegra, shifts great....

You can loose the extra weight from around the waist to make up for what you gain with the Ultegra!!

6. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

I agree with the other posters..these days, ultegra is DA, just with more steel, less aluminum, wee bit heavier.

For Dave, actually, when we buy a shimano crank, the BB is not included but no reason to get a DA over a ultegra.

Other points-why not use a 105 level cogset and chain-less cogs onto carriers for the cogset, not a shiney chain, otherwise identical performance to DA. Samo for the brakes, and really ders as well. 105 is not the 105 of old, cheezy, poorly performing. With 8/9s we never mentioned it for a bicycle, These days we do.

7. ToffoIsMe

ToffoIsMe New Member

Last article I saw about the new and improved dura-ace stated that the new carbon crank would retail close to $1,200 :eek:
    That could have possibly changed, as that article was almost a year ago.

Edit-This article is claiming $1,400! http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=BUY_PRODUCT_STANDARD&PRODUCT.ID=4593

8. gemship

gemship New Member

Wow :eek: you could buy a decent bike for that much but I must say I really like the look of that crank.

9. LewisBricktop

LewisBricktop New Member

I've used both 105 and Ultegra derailleurs and cassettes and noticed a great improvement with Ultegra. I would suggest restricting your bottom line to Ultegra.

10. Peter@vecchios

10s or 9s? I would agree about 9s, not 10s. 105 10s cogsets are the same cogs, just more onto spidersor carriers for ultegra.

11. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

The previous build on my bike was a full Ultegra set up which I recently (3 months ago) switched to a full Dura Ace so here is my comparison:
    -Shifting. Under load, ie pressing hard going uphill, Dura Ace is a little quieter but still otherwise there is no comparison;
    -STI Levers. The Dura Ace levers are a little bit thinner, which I find more comfortable, but other wise the same in shifting tension;
    -Brakes. Big difference, Dura Ace breaks come on twice as quick and need a lot less force to do their job. This does mean until you get use to it you are more likely to lock it up if you come on hard, but its easier to do those slight trim breaking that you do constantly in races; and
    -Reliability. Its Shimano, always works, doesn't need to be tweaked all the time (like Camply) what more can be said.

The primary difference is weight. The decision is whether the 300 or so grams are worth the extra dollars.

My only other two suggestions are to always use the Dura Ace chains over Ultegra. Dura Ace chains are actually made in Japan and last at least 2000km more then Ultegra.

For training I would still use a Ultegra cassette on the Dura Ace as the weight is not a problem and the cassettes last longer.

12. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Meh. Never had trouble with my Campagnolo equipment. Requires no more or no less tweaking than my buddies who ride Shimano.

13. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

Fair enough. the couple of guys that I ride with that use campy are always having to re tune their rear derailleur as the cables seem to stretch more and over a longer time. One of them who owns the local LBS mentioned that this was just a Campy thing.

14. Peter@vecchios

Hmmm, cables are cables. Few replace the original Campagnolo OR shimano with the maker's cables. If the LBS owber says it's a 'Campy thing', I wonder about his, well I just wonder. About 95% of the bikes we sell, but about 50% of the bikes we work on are Campagnolo and one thing we haven't had to ever do is warranty a shift lever from Campagnolo, but perhaps 3-4 dozen shimano.

Both do the same thing, albeit, a little differently. Durability of things like chains, cogsets, chainrings are a wash. BUT hubs and shifters, Campagnolo seem much more robust. As for chains, we sell DA and 105 level and both work and last the same. I think DA chains are made the same place as all shimano chains and the only difference is plating. There is nothing unique that makes a DA chain last 2000km longer than any other, IME. All, if taken care of and as measured by a Rohloff chain checker, last about 3000-3500 miles.

Just my observations and opinions after skulking in the bike biz as a wrench and owner for a coupla decades.

15. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

I have always used the manafactures cables. never thought to use anything else as they have always worked and never given me any trouble.

The mate from the LBS is a big fan of Campy, he just reckons that they need more ongoing tweaking, something that is agreed to by most people I know who ride with Campy. Which admitatly is fairly few as nearly everyone rides Shimano or the new Sram stuff here.

I have tried a number of chains, such as Conex, KMC, Ultegra and 105 but have generally found that the Dura Ace lasts much longer.

16. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

Peter, appreciate you sharing the warranty experience here. My DA 9 sp is still shifting crisply at four years/17K miles, but of course that's just a sample of one.

BTW, does "vecchio's" refer to the name of your bike shop? I ask because I was riding with a guy this weekend who was on a Pegoretti he bought in Seattle. IIRC, he mentioned the name of the shop was "Vecchio".

17. Peter@vecchios

Shop name is "Vecchio's Bicicletteria"

http://www.vecchios.com

18. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I am glad someone finally posted this subject and settled the debate. :rolleyes:

19. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

20. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

Cool website, thanks for posting. Certainly agree that service is all important. Having knowledgeable sales people and mechanics is more important in the long run than the brand name on the downtube.