Shimano DuraAce 7700 Shifter Reach Adjustment

raelwelcome

Guest
I am building up a new bike using Shimano DuraAce 9sp brifters. Does anyone
here know how I can adjust the reach on these shifters? I am looking for
input on ways to shim the levers etc. Alternate shifters or bars are not an
option. I prefer to consider options that do not require significant
additional investment. If it matters this bike will be ridden by a woman
with small hands. Ideas?

"raelwelcome" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I am building up a new bike using Shimano DuraAce 9sp brifters. Does anyone
> here know how I can adjust the reach on these shifters? I am looking for
> input on ways to shim the levers etc. Alternate shifters or bars are not
> an
> option. I prefer to consider options that do not require significant
> additional investment. If it matters this bike will be ridden by a woman
> with small hands. Ideas?

Sometimes bar shape and or brifter position on the bar can make a
significant difference in lever reach. I don't think these levers have
adjustable reach.

BobT

On Apr 21, 8:45 am, raelwelcome <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am building up a new bike using Shimano DuraAce 9sp brifters. Does anyone
> here know how I can adjust the reach on these shifters? I am looking for
> input on ways to shim the levers etc. Alternate shifters or bars are not an
> option. I prefer to consider options that do not require significant
> additional investment. If it matters this bike will be ridden by a woman
> with small hands. Ideas?

Specialized made their own STI shims for their women's road bikes.
I've seen them also sold by themselves. Check with a LBS that sells
Specialized bikes, they'll probably have a set.

They also have them on their website, $10 a set. They say they're for
6600, 6500 and 5500 shifters. Not sure how well they'll work with
7700.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=25305

#1: You can glue shims into place in the shift lever. Just use a piece of a
very thick inner tube, or a shim from a bike computer mount.

#2: Get over the "alternate shifters or bars are not an option" clause. If
the bike is to be ridden, it should be as comfortable as possible. Don't go
95% of the way towards making a great bike and then skip the last 5% that
might actually make the difference between a bike that spends most of its
time in the garage, or one that she can't walk past without wanting to go
out and ride!

Changing shifters is, of course, an pretty expensive option. But changing
bars is not, and a new-style woman's bar like the Bontrager "FIT" can make a
huge difference in how easily she can deal with the brakes.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 17:29:54 -0700, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Changing shifters is, of course, an pretty expensive option. But changing
>bars is not, and a new-style woman's bar like the Bontrager "FIT" can make a
>huge difference in how easily she can deal with the brakes.

Getting a bar that is round instead of the more common Modolo bend
will permit small hands to get closer to the levers. Admittedly, this
type of bar is more difficult to find in bars that are either single
or Ergo grooved.

"Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 17:29:54 -0700, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Changing shifters is, of course, an pretty expensive option. But changing
>>bars is not, and a new-style woman's bar like the Bontrager "FIT" can make
>>huge difference in how easily she can deal with the brakes.

> Getting a bar that is round instead of the more common Modolo bend
> will permit small hands to get closer to the levers. Admittedly, this
> type of bar is more difficult to find in bars that are either single
> or Ergo grooved.

I've got small hands and just can't get on with these so-called anatomical
bars. I'm about to try the Bontrager Race Lite VR Over Size. The marketing
stuff says that "The Variable-Radius (VR) version has shallow drop and less
reach with classic round bend and has double cable groove for Campagnolo
shifters.".

> I've got small hands and just can't get on with these so-called anatomical
> bars. I'm about to try the Bontrager Race Lite VR Over Size. The
> marketing stuff says that "The Variable-Radius (VR) version has shallow
> drop and less reach with classic round bend and has double cable groove
> for Campagnolo shifters.".

If you want to try *really* shallow forward reach & drop, try the Bontrager
"FIT" bars. They're marketed as a bar for women, but who cares? There's
nothing on them that says "this is a woman's bar" and you just might find it
solves your issues. It does not, however, have grooves... either single or
double. For me that's a non-issue; I've never had a problem with the cable
under the tape.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

In article <[email protected]>,
Paul Kopit <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 17:29:54 -0700, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Changing shifters is, of course, an pretty expensive option. But changing
> >bars is not, and a new-style woman's bar like the Bontrager "FIT" can make a
> >huge difference in how easily she can deal with the brakes.

> Getting a bar that is round instead of the more common Modolo bend
> will permit small hands to get closer to the levers. Admittedly, this
> type of bar is more difficult to find in bars that are either single
> or Ergo grooved.

Running cable housing along a non-groove bar is eminently
workable. It does not interfere with my use of the bars at all.

--
Michael Press

>> Getting a bar that is round instead of the more common Modolo bend
>> will permit small hands to get closer to the levers. Admittedly, this
>> type of bar is more difficult to find in bars that are either single
>> or Ergo grooved.

> Running cable housing along a non-groove bar is eminently
> workable. It does not interfere with my use of the bars at all.

It's not too much of a stretch to suggest that it imitates the
currently-fashionable aero-shaped bars.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

>> I've got small hands and just can't get on with these so-called
>> anatomical bars. I'm about to try the Bontrager Race Lite VR Over Size.
>> The marketing stuff says that "The Variable-Radius (VR) version has
>> shallow drop and less reach with classic round bend and has double cable
>> groove for Campagnolo shifters.".

> If you want to try *really* shallow forward reach & drop, try the
> Bontrager "FIT" bars. They're marketed as a bar for women, but who cares?
> There's nothing on them that says "this is a woman's bar" and you just
> might find it solves your issues. It does not, however, have grooves...
> either single or double. For me that's a non-issue; I've never had a
> problem with the cable under the tape.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

I decided that the "FIT" bars would be just a bit too shallow for me so I
bought and have just fitted the Bontrager Race Lite VR Over Size bars.
There isn't a huge difference between these and my previous anatomical bars
but it is enough to let me get comfortably to the levers while on the
drops - so problem solved. The double cable groove is a bonus because I
have Campagnolo shifters but I could easily live without them.