Shimano DuraAce or Ultegra Rear Hubs? Which is Stronger?

SUPER RIDER

Nov 29, 2004
I currently ride a wheelset with Shimano DuraAce hubs laced with 32 double-butted DT-Swiss spokes to Mavic Open Pro rims. I am thinking about a new wheelset, and I have decided to start my evaluation from the point of view of what I like and do not like about my current wheelset.

The Open Pro rims makes a funny noise, which I do not like while cruising on the road/trail. I like my rides so quiet, that I sometimes get out of the house at 5:00 A.M. on weekends, just to get in about 2 or so hours of absolute quietness. It is almost zen-like, cruising along and "hearing" yourself think.

On the other hand, the DuraAce hubs roll ever so quietly. I really like that.

I am a Clydesdale at 220Ibs, with aspiration to get to about 200 or 190Ibs. I thus need strong wheels. I do okay with 32-spoked wheels, and thus won't consider 36 spokes.

My questions are these:

a) Can I go with Shimano Ultegra hubs over DuraAce, save some money, and still have my quietness?

b) Ultegra or DuraAce, which are preffered for strength, and why?

c) Rollability and servicability, Ultegra or DuraAce, and why?

d) I am looking at maybe the Velocity Deep V rims. Any other rim I should look at for stiffness, strength and, maybe lightness? Or am I dreaming, thinking lightness, stiffness and durability are all possible in a particular rim?

I am strictly a recreational/exercise rider? I do go out for 100miles at a time though. And oh, my bike is a 2007 Cannondale CAAD8 Optimo1.

Thanks for all responses.

Regards,

Super Rider

SUPER RIDER said:
I currently ride a wheelset with Shimano DuraAce hubs laced with 32 double-butted DT-Swiss spokes to Mavic Open Pro rims. I am thinking about a new wheelset, and I have decided to start my evaluation from the point of view of what I like and do not like about my current wheelset.

The Open Pro rims makes a funny noise, which I do not like while cruising on the road/trail. I like my rides so quiet, that I sometimes get out of the house at 5:00 A.M. on weekends, just to get in about 2 or so hours of absolute quietness. It is almost zen-like, cruising along and "hearing" yourself think.

On the other hand, the DuraAce hubs roll ever so quietly. I really like that.

I am a Clydesdale at 220Ibs, with aspiration to get to about 200 or 190Ibs. I thus need strong wheels. I do okay with 32-spoked wheels, and thus won't consider 36 spokes.

My questions are these:

a) Can I go with Shimano Ultegra hubs over DuraAce, save some money, and still have my quietness?

b) Ultegra or DuraAce, which are preffered for strength, and why?

c) Rollability and servicability, Ultegra or DuraAce, and why?

d) I am looking at maybe the Velocity Deep V rims. Any other rim I should look at for stiffness, strength and, maybe lightness? Or am I dreaming, thinking lightness, stiffness and durability are all possible in a particular rim?

I am strictly a recreational/exercise rider? I do go out for 100miles at a time though. And oh, my bike is a 2007 Cannondale CAAD8 Optimo1.

Thanks for all responses.

Regards,

Super Rider
a) Ultegra are as quiet as Dura Ace and less expensive
b) Ultegra uses steel freehub body, while new Dura Ace uses aluminum.
Hardness of steel allows wider choices in cassettes without dealing with distorted freehub body... also the choices of cassettes allows you to get good performance at lower costs.
c) Hard to beat the polishing on Dura Ace races, but the difference between Dura Ace and Ultegra rolling resistance is extrememly small. I think it is easier to service (and less expensive) Ultegra.
d) Deep V rims are a good choice for stiffness and strength. At around 520 grams, they are not light. If you want to step down in stiffness to save some weight, consider Velocity Fusion.

daveornee said:
a) Ultegra are as quiet as Dura Ace and less expensive
b) Ultegra uses steel freehub body, while new Dura Ace uses aluminum.
Hardness of steel allows wider choices in cassettes without dealing with distorted freehub body... also the choices of cassettes allows you to get good performance at lower costs.
c) Hard to beat the polishing on Dura Ace races, but the difference between Dura Ace and Ultegra rolling resistance is extrememly small. I think it is easier to service (and less expensive) Ultegra.
d) Deep V rims are a good choice for stiffness and strength. At around 520 grams, they are not light. If you want to step down in stiffness to save some weight, consider Velocity Fusion.
Thanks for the response Dave. I'll look into the Velocity Fusion rims you mentioned.

At 520grams, the Deep V is quite a handful.

What do you think of the DT Swiss RR 1.1 or RR 1.2 rims? Do you know if they are stiff and reliable?

Regards,

Super Rider

SUPER RIDER said:
Thanks for the response Dave. I'll look into the Velocity Fusion rims you mentioned.

At 520grams, the Deep V is quite a handful.

What do you think of the DT Swiss RR 1.1 or RR 1.2 rims? Do you know if they are stiff and reliable?

Regards,

Super Rider
DT Swiss RR 1.1 has two versions: one with eyelets and one with eyelets and sockets. Both are nice; the one with eyelets only is lighter and has the benefits of easy nipple alignment but doesn't tie the inner and outer walls of the rim together ALA Mavic Open Pro and all the versions that came before it.
Usually costs more than Velocity Fusion rims, but pretty comparible in stiffness and reliability.
DT Swiss RR 1.2 is about the same profile, weight, stiffness, and reliability as Velocity Deep V. Usually cost more than Velocity Deep V rims.
I can supply you Velocity rims and Sapim Race 14/15 DB spokes.
I am biased towards Velocity because of my investement in stocking thier rims. I don't stock any DT Swiss rims, but I have worked with them and find them good quality. I can't afford to stock both and have found Velocity to be good quality and good support from the US company.
My typical package of new Velocity rims, Sapim spokes, Sapim nipples, USPS Priority Mail shipping, and insurance is around $160... depending on where you are located. (Pick them up and save $20)
dave at ornee dot net (you can do the translation and email me direct)
Western Springs, IL (suburban Chicago)