Shimano electric shifters?

Well, it was bound to happen but it sounds pretty good to me. At least it takes the cables out of the shifting equation. I was skeptical at first until they said that the rider still controls the shifting. I have seen some of the "automatic shift bikes" and they don't make any sense to me, but the electronic shift looks like it will be OK.

I think it was on BikeForums.net that I read a post about the electronic shifting, and among other things, it has (or could have?) the capability to detect where the cogs are, and so adjustment is almost never a problem. Of course, I rarely have to adjust my derailleurs anyway.

I think it is an OK idea, I just don't need to remember to change one more battery... :)

Plus, I believe the initial release is targetted to be Dura-Ace, and I can't see myself ever spending that amount of cash for a group.

Watch. In the next year or two both Shimano and Campagnolo will release their high end electric shifting system. Then someone will win the Giro or Tour using them. Then all of us lemmings will race to buy the new groups for our dream bikes... :rolleyes:

Powerful Pete said:
Watch. In the next year or two both Shimano and Campagnolo will release their high end electric shifting system. Then someone will win the Giro or Tour using them. Then all of us lemmings will race to buy the new groups for our dream bikes... :rolleyes:
I suppose that I am the rat among the lemmings. While this may be a great thing for other riders, I'll just stick with my cables, so you can count me out of the race. I can see where it would be good, after riding 5 miles with only a 32 tooth chain ring because of a broken cable housing. I can also see where problems could occur if a battery was not changed as it should have been.

kdelong said:
I suppose that I am the rat among the lemmings. While this may be a great thing for other riders, I'll just stick with my cables, so you can count me out of the race. I can see where it would be good, after riding 5 miles with only a 32 tooth chain ring because of a broken cable housing. I can also see where problems could occur if a battery was not changed as it should have been.

same here. i let other people test em out, take in feedback, and then test em out and decide for myself if i want them. has anyone here actually tried them out?

If this eliminates the need to correctly possition the front derailer, then I'm all for it.

reub2000 said:
If this eliminates the need to correctly possition the front derailer, then I'm all for it.
I don't see how electric shifters will eliminate the need to position the derailleur properly; but I guess I will have to see how the thing works before passing a final judgement.

TheDarkLord said:
I don't see how electric shifters will eliminate the need to position the derailleur properly; but I guess I will have to see how the thing works before passing a final judgement.
Maybe you could program the front derailer to take a certain position based on the rear sprocket that is choosen. Or perhaps have a system to detect when the chain is rubbing against the derailer cage.

reub2000 said:
Maybe you could program the front derailer to take a certain position based on the rear sprocket that is choosen. Or perhaps have a system to detect when the chain is rubbing against the derailer cage.
The first option will mean lack of control from the rider, and so most people will probably not like it. The second is technically feasible, but somewhat complicated. The easiest implementation would be to have the derailleur adjusted by screws similar to how it is now, and just have the shifting done through a device that shifts upon receiving a signal transmitted without wires. Again, as I said, I don't how how it is actually implemented and what level of sophistication is involved.

TheDarkLord said:
The first option will mean lack of control from the rider, and so most people will probably not like it. The second is technically feasible, but somewhat complicated. The easiest implementation would be to have the derailleur adjusted by screws similar to how it is now, and just have the shifting done through a device that shifts upon receiving a signal transmitted without wires. Again, as I said, I don't how how it is actually implemented and what level of sophistication is involved.
I don't think it would be that complicated to intergrate sensors onto both sides of the derailer cage. I would go totally bannas if the system completly eliminated the practice of trimming, or even just looking down when shifting from one chainring to another.