shimano equipment

senzed

Aug 8, 2003
What exactly is the difference between the different types of shimano equipment, since they differ so much in cost. There's 105 and ultegra and dura-ace. how do they rank against in eachother and how obvious is the difference in performance and is upgrading from one model to the next worth the difference in price .

It all depends on what you're looking for. 105 is fine for the performance-oriented rider, but it just doesn't do for the serious competitor. In addition to the weight penalty, the shifting will not be as 'crisp'. This may not be noticeable on a club ride, but in a crit race you can lose several places if you don't get the gear you want EXACTLY the moment you want it. Ultegra is a popular choice for weekend warriors on a budget, but D/A is what they all wish they had. Serious racers won't consider anything but D/A (or Campy equivalent).

If the difference in price doesn't seem worth it to you, then it probably isn't.

I HAVE RACED FOR YEARS WITH SHIMANO 105 AND I HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS. IT ALL COMES DOWN TO HOW COOL YOU LOOK AT THE CAFE'

Used to be that 105 was clearly inferior to DA and Ultegra in terms of shifting, but in recent years, Shimano has really trickled down technology to 105 and it shifts great. I have DA, but tried 105 and while 105 isn't as light shifting as Dura-Ace it is still very good stuff. In fact, Shimano shifting as a whole, IMO, is better than Campy. I can't stand that thumb operated shift button thing on the Campy line. I'd take 105 over even Campy Record if not for the weight. Dura-Ace though is a lot lighter than 105.

so if I wanted to start racing, should i go with ultegra or 105?

If you can stretch the budget then go for Ultegra, the weight is a little less, the finish is a little better, and the cranks are stiffer. If not, 105 is fine to start with - you can replace individual items if/when they break or wear out.

I agree with MidBunchLurker, Ultegra if you can but 105 is fine :) I have a mix of Ultegra and 105 on mine and it works great (Trek 2200 2002).

I was replacing the rear cassette and chain on my TREK 2300 this Spring, it was equipped with Ultegra and it works great compared to my old Sora Group.
I was thinking of installing a Dura-Ace cassette and chain but was told by a tech that although I will have a weight savings the rear sprocket set is only good for about 2000 miles so I replaced it with the same ultegra set.
My point: Dura Ace for only the most serious racer who doesnt mind replacing gearing during the season.

Good question Senzed, unfortunately one that doesnt have a good answer.. "It Depends". I believe if you invest in a chain checker tool like "Parks" and replace your chain at 1% Stretch (approx 2500 miles) your gearing will last much longer. Lighter Gearing like Dura Ace is made out of more light weight alloys so long term strength may suffer, as a result 105 may outlast Ulterga and Dura Ace but I'm not sure by what factor.

Good Luck

Does anyone know where the Tiagra group falls into the line up? I assume it is better than Sora but not as good as 105, or is it the same as 105?

Thanks for the info RV, how about this question then: What is a 600 Group?

Thanks Wally