shimano flaw

el Ingles

Oct 3, 2003
been working in a mates shop while he´s been recovering from a busted clavicle ( race accident ) , I´m not a born mechanic but for 10 weeks I and 3 other friends have been helping out .
Several times people have brought bikes in with a malfunction in the rachet mechanism of the shifter - and it can be impossible to clear , all you can do is drown the piece in oil and hope : this is true of both mtb and road shifters .

so...... do maintain your shifters and if laying the bike up for a while DO make sure that you oil the shifter mech first AND go and operate the shifters every month or so to stop them seizing up as once they seize you may not be able to fix them .

el Inglés said:
been working in a mates shop while he´s been recovering from a busted clavicle ( race accident ) , I´m not a born mechanic but for 10 weeks I and 3 other friends have been helping out .
Several times people have brought bikes in with a malfunction in the rachet mechanism of the shifter - and it can be impossible to clear , all you can do is drown the piece in oil and hope : this is true of both mtb and road shifters .

so...... do maintain your shifters and if laying the bike up for a while DO make sure that you oil the shifter mech first AND go and operate the shifters every month or so to stop them seizing up as once they seize you may not be able to fix them .
IMNSHO, drownding them in oil unless they show signs of malufnctioning is senseless.I have lots of older units that see little use,but they junction perfectly when needed.Some malfuctions of the ratchet mechanism are indeed permanent,cuz the thing is broken.No ammount of oiling cures that.

boudreaux said:
IMNSHO, drownding them in oil unless they show signs of malufnctioning is senseless.I have lots of older units that see little use,but they junction perfectly when needed.Some malfuctions of the ratchet mechanism are indeed permanent,cuz the thing is broken.No ammount of oiling cures that.

Sorry to contradict you but as the shimano works on a sort of pawl and rachet system if that pawl seizes onit´s spindel then the shifter stops shifting : it´s a point that needs to be lubricated periodically and if your leaving a bike unatended for months then you may find a problem when you come back , especially if it´s been stored in a damp enviroment .
worked in a cycle shop during the summer to help out an in jured mate and saw this problem occour numerous times - mostly to mtb´s but to road shifters as well .