Shimano Flight Deck Cordless Computer - Any Good?

BLADERUNNER

Aug 13, 2003
I have heard mixed reviews over this unit, interferance, **** cadence function etc.

Can anyone out there give me a first hand opinion - good points, bad points etc?

Roy, Liverpool - uk

I'll NEVER understand the criticism of the virtual cadence feature of the FlightDeck.

I KNOW if I'm not pedalling, just coasting, that the cadence it gives me isn't "real" - duh. OTOH, it DOES tell me what cadence I HAVE to be pumping at in order to be "under load" - so I find that useful, not "****", when kicking back in from coasting.

I use the cadence, avg speed, max speed, distance, and trip time ALL the time. Plus it keeps cumulative miles, provides a clock, and the gear readout when you shift is pretty cool, too. So it does everything I'd want it to, wirelessly.

I use an HRM and I've yet to have any interference problems with the FlightDeck.

No problems functionally, works great.

The hood buttons are a little hard to find sometimes, especially if you have winter gloves on.

The way you scroll through the various screens is confusing at first, sometimes you're not sure what you're looking at and for some functions you have to use the A/B buttons underneath the front end instead of the hood buttons.

My first transmitter battery wore out after about three months but the second one has lasted over a year. Still on the original head battery.

It's fun but I wouldn't say I'll never go back. There are plenty of wireless models out now.

Originally posted by BLADERUNNER
I have heard mixed reviews over this unit, interferance, **** cadence function etc.

Can anyone out there give me a first hand opinion - good points, bad points etc?

Roy, Liverpool - uk

I can't comment on the wireless version but I am very happy with my wired version. I originally bought the wired version so it wwould not interfere with my HRM (Polar 720i) and have been really glad I did. The operation is logical and flawless and hasn't failed or been tempermental even in very chilly winter weather. I do not think the wireless portion of it should cause any problems in a normal application as that technology is in a pretty mature state. Two thumbs up as far as I am concerned.

A month ago I was trying to zero in on which computer with cadence reading as I was using my cateye cordless2 all along. I was considering between Cateye Astrate8, Polar S710i, Ciclo Hac4 and flight deck. Finally much researched I ended up with the flight deck 6501. The pros

1.Virtual Cadence monitor without crank sensor which would messed up with all the wires running everywhere.
2. Gear indicator which you can't find with other puter, its actually pretty neat if you like all the gizmo.
3.the placing of the puter with an extended arms puts it rite at the center in front of the stem, makes extra room for HRM and headlight, and its much easier to read.
4.2nd set of reading is very useful, for instant if you're recording your ride and comes to a hill you can start the stopwatch at the foot of the hill and you can tell the time you did the accend and you can measure the distant of the accend or descend.
5.The integrated hood button is much more easier to use, like handsfree.
6. It really look cool with the integrated button and the gear indicator.
7.The price, with all these fuctions and the price I paid USD69 I feel its a steal!

The cons

1. You can easily hit the stop button if you have big hands (no problem with me)
2. With so many fuctions reading sometimes it takes so long just to juggle to the one you looking for and especially with 2 mode where you have to press for 2 sec to switch between them.

I would advise you to do a research on a few models and see what is important to you, if you want a simple computer and cheap then I feel the Cateye Astrate8 should serve you well as I've been using my old cordless it stood up to all the abuse.

Originally posted by BLADERUNNER

Roy, Liverpool - uk

Iwas pretty set on buying a wireless Flight deck. I want some kind of cadence without all of the wires. I am reconsidering, since the new performance bike catalog arrived.

Cateye is coming out with a new computer. It is called a cateye double wireless. It comes with a unified rear wireless mount that includes a cadence sensor and a speed sensor - $149. It also has a new segmented color screen, which is very cool.

They are supposed to be available in April. I can not find them anywhere on the web (even Cateye web site), but they are in the catalog.

Originally posted by jjjj
Iwas pretty set on buying a wireless Flight deck. I want some kind of cadence without all of the wires. I am reconsidering, since the new performance bike catalog arrived.

Cateye is coming out with a new computer. It is called a cateye double wireless. It comes with a unified rear wireless mount that includes a cadence sensor and a speed sensor - $149. It also has a new segmented color screen, which is very cool.

They are supposed to be available in April. I can not find them anywhere on the web (even Cateye web site), but they are in the catalog.

Did you say rear wireless? Which catalog did you see this in?

Originally posted by waterboy420
Did you say rear wireless? Which catalog did you see this in?

Beyondbikes.com has a wireless speed, wireless cadence Vetta V100 for $95.99 if that interests anyone.

I have a wireless one - works great - also use a polar heart rate monitor - no problems between the two

I had the vetta wireless speed/cadence for a 4 months at the end of 03. I constantly had problems with losing the signol of one of them. mainly the cadence. Line of sight is very important and from crank to handle bar is not the best.