Shimano Flight Deck Cycle Computer

KDC1956

Jul 5, 2009
Has anyone use this computer Shimano Flight Deck Cycle Computer SC-6502 and the Shimano Flight Deck 9 Speed Wired Mount ISM6500RS if so can anyone tell me how good it is I'm looking to buy one here.This will be going on my Surly LHT Touring Bike.Any Info is welcome good or bad.Thanks to any who lets me know.

Hi it's very nice but not for racing. Great for touring, commuting or training, gives you a visual of your gears, speed, cadence, time and nice display. Mode buttons on STI levers are nice too. Only cons i found is that you need to press a button (on the back of the unit, not easy to reach) for the computer to start working everytime.

KDC1956 said:
Has anyone use this computer Shimano Flight Deck Cycle Computer SC-6502 and the Shimano Flight Deck 9 Speed Wired Mount ISM6500RS if so can anyone tell me how good it is I'm looking to buy one here.This will be going on my Surly LHT Touring Bike.Any Info is welcome good or bad.Thanks to any who lets me know.
The 'bad' thing about Flight Deck computer heads (6500 & 6501) is that you have LESS THAN 5 minutes to change the battery after you receive the low battery warning before the settings and/or data are lost ... maybe, they corrected that with the 6502.

Otherwise, if the information that the Flight Deck has sufficient output for your needs, it is possibly a better choice than a lot of other cycling computers because if something happens to the computer head or harness then you can buy a replacement without having to look too far for a retailer (LBS or mail order).

vspa said:
Only cons i found is that you need to press a button (on the back of the unit, not easy to reach) for the computer to start working everytime.
There is something wrong with your harness OR the contact points (if you are using ROAD shifters) ... you shouldn't need to press one of the buttons on the underside of the FD computer's head to activate it ... you should be able to "start" the computer by using the 'S' button on the left shifter ...

KDC1956 said:

Can tell ya what gear you are in but a pretty expensive answer to a pretty simple question. 'Touring bike', are you going to actually 'tour'? I wonder about your gearing then, the flite deck may get 'confused' with low gearings, lower than found on standard Ultegra 9s triple 'systems'.

Peter@vecchios said:
Can tell ya what gear you are in but a pretty expensive answer to a pretty simple question. 'Touring bike', are you going to actually 'tour'? I wonder about your gearing then, the flite deck may get 'confused' with low gearings, lower than found on standard Ultegra 9s triple 'systems'.
Okay, I'll ask:

Why would a Flite Deck become confused as to which gear it is in?

alfeng said:
Okay, I'll ask:

Why would a Flite Deck become confused as to which gear it is in?

Not what gear you are in but it also calculates gear inches or something similar and it couldn't do that with different than triple, road 9s cogset gearing.

Peter@vecchios said:
Not what gear you are in but it also calculates gear inches or something similar and it couldn't do that with different than triple, road 9s cogset gearing.
Without looking a Flite Deck manual, my recollection is that the end user is supposed to (i.e., can/must) input the appropriate/necessary data so that the computer head will subsequently calculate the right info ... but, my recollection could be wrong on this point (and, others!), of course.

After doing some more reading I now think the Shimano Flight Deck Cycle Computer SC-6502 and the Shimano Flight Deck 9 Speed Wired Mount ISM6500RS will not work with bar end shifter.I got to call and find this out and will try to let all know if and when I do.Get this Info hope it want take to long.To do this time is running out here.

KDC1956 said:
After doing some more reading I now think the Shimano Flight Deck Cycle Computer SC-6502 and the Shimano Flight Deck 9 Speed Wired Mount ISM6500RS will not work with bar end shifter.I got to call and find this out and will try to let all know if and when I do.Get this Info hope it want take to long.To do this time is running out here.
I don't know the specific harness/mount you are looking at ...

I'm currently using Shimano Flight Deck computers with my Campagnolo ERGO shifters & either their UNIVERSAL harness or with a slightly modified XTR wireless harness ...

With both mount types, I have forgone having access to the gear indicator, cadence, etc. If those are features you are concerned with, then you should look at other computers.

BTW. I think that if I were really motivated (which I'm not), I could modify an XTR harness (wired or wireless) to (almost) function properly with the ERGO shifters ... maybe, not!?! I didn't use the extra functions when I had Shimano shifters ... and, I don't think that I miss them ... at least, that's what I tell myself.

I know there are some other computers which have SOME features that I think I might like ... but, maybe not. For example, I've always wanted an altimeter -- but, I already have a vague idea of the altitude by how slow I'm going or how hard I'm breathing!

KDC1956 said:
I don't know the specific harness/mount you are looking at ...

I'm currently using Shimano Flight Deck computers with my Campagnolo ERGO shifters with either Shimano's UNIVERSAL harness or with a slightly modified XTR wireless harness ... yes, some people may consider that to be a travesty, particularly the ShimaNO aficionados.

With both Shimano mount types, I have forgone having access to the gear indicator, cadence, etc. If you are concerned with having any of those features, then you should look at other computers.

I know there are some other computers which have SOME features that I think I might like ... but, maybe not.

For example, I've always wanted an altimeter -- but, I already have a vague idea of the altitude by how slow I'm going or how hard I'm breathing!

BTW. I think that if I were really motivated (which I'm not), I could possibly modify an XTR harness (wired or wireless) to (almost) function properly with the ERGO shifters ... maybe, not!?! I didn't use the extra functions when I had Shimano shifters ... and, I don't think that I miss them ... at least, that's what I tell myself.

alfeng said:
There is something wrong with your harness OR the contact points (if you are using ROAD shifters) ... you shouldn't need to press one of the buttons on the underside of the FD computer's head to activate it ... you should be able to "start" the computer by using the 'S' button on the left shifter ...

just try it, the left lever ST/SP button doesn't start the computer from the idle position but it works properly to start the chronometer or reset data, wheel movement doesn't autostart either the unit, nor a combination of both things...

Just found out that the Shimano Flight Deck Cycle Computer will not work with bar end shifters :-( Now its back to looking for a new computer.

KDC1956 said:
Just found out that the Shimano Flight Deck Cycle Computer will not work with bar end shifters :-( Now its back to looking for a new computer.
I guess I didn't make it clear, before ...

If you use Shimano's UNIVERSAL Flite Deck harness, you can use any type of shifter BUT you will lose a lot of functionality that you would have when you use Shimano's 'totally integrated' system (STI == Shimano Total Integration) ... so, if you buy a Flite Deck but don't have STI shifters, you are indeed paying for features you won't be using ... that is a sacrifice I have been willing to make.

vspa said:
just try it, the left lever ST/SP button doesn't start the computer from the idle position but it works properly to start the chronometer or reset data, wheel movement doesn't autostart either the unit, nor a combination of both things...
HMMmm. Whatever I do to "start" the FD is sort of instinctive OR simply a lot of the right fumbling until I get to where I want it to be ... so, you may be right ... but, my inclination is still to believe that there is something wrong with your harness because you shouldn't need to reach underneath the computer head to start it before each ride.

alfeng said:
HMMmm. Whatever I do to "start" the FD is sort of instinctive OR simply a lot of the right fumbling until I get to where I want it to be ... so, you may be right ... but, my inclination is still to believe that there is something wrong with your harness because you shouldn't need to reach underneath the computer head to start it before each ride.
From page 13 of the user's manual, it states that the unit will enter power saver mode if the computer does not receive a signal or no button is pushed for 30 minutes. Since there is no "Off" button, the only way for the computer to shut down is to go into the power saver mode until the next ride. The way to cancel the power saver mode is to press the "A" button on the back of the computer.

FWIW, when your LO BAT lights up, record your ODO reading and then change the battery. If you take more than the allotted time to change the battery, you can always manually reset the ODO. Yeah, you do have to reenter all of you gear data but that is pretty easy and painless.

kdelong said:
The way to cancel the power saver mode is to press the "A" button on the back of the computer.

could you be more specific, press the A button for how long ? when unit is ON/OFF ? if it s ON on which Mode ?

i cannot make it work as autostart yet :(

vspa said:
could you be more specific, press the A button for how long ? when unit is ON/OFF ? if it s ON on which Mode ?

i cannot make it work as autostart yet :(
It does not have autostart capability. The Flight Deck doesn't have an actual way to turn it off. It just goes into the Power Save mode when you stop using it for more than 30 minutes. When you get ready to ride, just reach up under the right top corner of the display head and feel for a small rubber button. Press this button one time and it will turn it back on, i.e. cancel the power save mode.

I like my Garmin 705 because it has a clearly marked on/off button, and as a bonus it uses an analog optical signal to report what gear I'm in.:D

kdelong said:
From page 13 of the user's manual, it states that the unit will enter power saver mode if the computer does not receive a signal or no button is pushed for 30 minutes. Since there is no "Off" button, the only way for the computer to shut down is to go into the power saver mode until the next ride. The way to cancel the power saver mode is to press the "A" button on the back of the computer.

FWIW, when your LO BAT lights up, record your ODO reading and then change the battery. If you take more than the allotted time to change the battery, you can always manually reset the ODO. Yeah, you do have to reenter all of you gear data but that is pretty easy and painless.
Unfortunately, the LO BAT warning seems to happen mid-ride OR over-night!

I've never used the Power Saver mode ... I didn't even know the FD had one, so THAT's really good information to have.

Of course, I guess it means that I should have read the manual more carefully.