Shimano Flight Deck vs. cadence sensor

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Leon, Feb 11, 2005.

  1. Leon

    Leon Guest

    I am going to buy cycle computer with cadence function.

    Please, give me your opinion about two alternatives: Shimano Flight Deck
    or any other computer with cadence function.

    Anyone any comments - appreciated.

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Leon <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > I am going to buy cycle computer with cadence function.
    >
    > Please, give me your opinion about two alternatives: Shimano Flight Deck
    > or any other computer with cadence function.
    >
    > Anyone any comments - appreciated.

    Only one: as you probably know, the Flight Deck actually calculates a
    theoretical cadence rather than an actual one. It can do this because
    part of the set-up is programming in all your gear ratios, and because
    the Flight Deck can figure out which gear you are in (by counting shifts
    at the handlebars, I think) and knows your speed, it knows how fast you
    would have to pedal to hit that speed in that gear.

    As you might already suspect, this means it gives cadence readings even
    when you aren't pedaling. It shouldn't actually matter, since you only
    really care about cadence if you are pedaling, but most people can
    figure out if they are pedaling or not.

    All other cadence meters that I know of use a magnet on the crank and a
    second sensor. This is arguably a bit messier, wiring-wise, unless you
    go for a wireless solution.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com
    Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.

  3. Sat, 12 Feb 2005 07:40:14 GMT, Leon <[email protected]> skrev:

    > Please, give me your opinion about two alternatives: Shimano Flight Deck
    > or any other computer with cadence function.
    >
    > Anyone any comments - appreciated.

    Flight Deck is such a neat computer because you can shift it with your
    thumbs on the grips, without lifting your hands. And the virtual candence
    calculation is good for all practical purposes.
    But actually you only need to messure cadence for a for a few months, for
    instance to train af faster cadence than what you are used to. Soon you
    will have a pretty good idea of the cadence you are riding in. And you
    don't need an exact messurement.
    If you want to save some money, you just make a paper calculation of what
    cadence corresponds to a given speed in your favorite gear
    constallations. When you feel comfortable with a cadence of 90 rpm and
    feel allright doing 110 rpm, then you are riding like Lance Armstrong, and
    that ought to be good enough.

    Another cheap and easy way to check your cadence is to count the turns for
    15 sec. every once in a while. Start the count on zero and multiply by
    four.

    I am happy with my Shimano Flight Deck. But if you are buying it
    exclusively to messure cadence I would consider it not worth the money.

    Ivar Hesselager
    Denmark

    --
    Sendt med Operas banebrydende nyhedsgruppe-
    og e-postklient: http://www.opera.com/m2/

  4. Ivar Hesselager wrote:

    > When you feel comfortable with a cadence of 90 rpm and
    > feel allright doing 110 rpm, then you are riding like Lance Armstrong,
    > and that ought to be good enough.

    My average cadence is over 100rpm, and I'm not fit to wash Lance's water
    bottles...;-)

  5. Leon

    Leon Guest

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 07:40:14 GMT, Leon <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I am going to buy cycle computer with cadence function.
    >
    > Please, give me your opinion about two alternatives: Shimano Flight Deck
    > or any other computer with cadence function.
    >
    > Anyone any comments - appreciated.

    Thank you very much everybody for the useful advices!

  6. Sat, 12 Feb 2005 21:21:27 +0000, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]>
    skrev:

    > My average cadence is over 100rpm, and I'm not fit to wash Lance's water
    > bottles...;-)

    Then you don't need to improve your candence any more. From now on you can
    concentrate fully on learning hhow to clean water bottles on a
    professional level. I'm not very good at that myself. ;-)
    Ivar

    --
    Sendt med Operas banebrydende nyhedsgruppe-
    og e-postklient: http://www.opera.com/m2/

  7. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Leon wrote:

    > I am going to buy cycle computer with cadence function.
    >
    > Please, give me your opinion about two alternatives: Shimano Flight
    > Deck or any other computer with cadence function.
    >
    > Anyone any comments - appreciated.

    The nice thing about the Flight Deck is no wires all over the bike. Also,
    there's a neat gear indicator, which I find more useful than cadence. It's one
    of those things I thought was silly before I had it, but now wonder how I lived
    without it. I don't think the buttons on the brifters are that big a deal. If
    you can take your attention off the road long enough to read your computer, you
    can take your hands off the bar to push a button.

    The downsides of the Flight Deck are the expense, and the fiddly little wires
    running under the handlebar tape. This can make changing cable housings or
    adjusting brifter position a real pain. So get it right before you trim the
    wires and tape everything up.

    Matt O.