Shimano Flight Deck

paul_round

Dec 21, 2005
I have a Shimano Flight Deck, that has given many good years of service, however today it stopped registering the speed, gear changes were being registered fine.
It is in a wired harness, anybody have any suggestions as to where to start troubleshooting?

It's still on it's original, but surely if the battery was duff, it wouldn't be registering the time or gear changes?

Aspects of the Flight Deck will continue to function until you see the LOW BATTERY indication ...

At which point you will have only about three minutes to install a new battery before losing all of the settings on a 9-speed Flight Deck!

• maybe the settings are retained on the 10-speed Flight Decks ...
  • regardless, some people suggest that the battery be changed on an annual basis ...
  • I am USUALLY not smart enough to remember to carry a spare battery with me when I go on THE ride when the battery decides to die ...
  • consequently, I recommend that you change the battery at the next earliest opportunity ...

After changing the battery, the odds are very high that your Flight Deck will be fully functional, again.

I have gotten what I consider to have been marginal batteries from Radio Shack & WalMart (the worse of the two having been from RS) in the past ...

I had ONE Flight Deck harness "go bad" ...

So, if you are certain the magnet & sensor are aligned properly AND the wiring wasn't damaged then you will probably have to contact Shimano's CUSTOMER SERVICE to see what they suggest.

Sensor and magnet alignment has not changed, one thing though, can the magnetic sender "go off".just removed it and it won't stick to any metal.

paul_round said:
Sensor and magnet alignment has not changed, one thing though, can the magnetic sender "go off".just removed it and it won't stick to any metal.
They're only attracted to ferrous metal: iron, steel,.......

Originally Posted by paul_round .

If you have a "refrigerator" (or, equivalent) magnet, then wave it past the Flight Deck sensor on your fork to see if it registers MPH.

I have the exact problem with not one, but two Flight Decks. Both worked great for years. Now, gears are shown, but no distance or time. Have changed batteries on both. Certain that sensor is properly aligned. Have not been able to find replacement parts, because the model is the old "two buttons on right shifter versus newer models, which have one button on each shifter. Please post, if yiu solve the problem and get yours working.

Try pushing the AC button on the head unit to reset the computer then reenter your info and see if that fixes it. There is a lot of Flight Deck equipment available on eBay at fairly reasonable prices.