Shimano Flight Deck

Babbar

Aug 10, 2003
I purchased a 2004 Lemond Zurich about 10 days ago. It is absoluely the greatest machine I have ever owned. There are not enough O's in the world to put into to smoooooooooth to describe the ride.

I also had the dealer install a wireless Shimano Flight Deck computer. I first asked if it was worth the cost and was assure dit was. Well, when it works right, it is, but I have had a lot of problems, necessitating replacing the display unit.

The most often occurring problem is after I stop and restart, the computer wouldn't. The current speed, ride time and ride distance would not work, but the odometer would, incidating the sensor and magnet were making some contact.

The current speed display would sometimes jump to a random number, then back to zero.

So, they replaced the display unit. No problems at all for 50 miles. Then, yesterday, I accidentally hit some broken glass. I stopped to check my tires. I picked up the front of the bike and spun the tire. Upon not seeing any glass, I re-mounted and off I went, but without current speed, time, distance or odometer.

Since I was near the LBS, I stopped in and they said if it continued, to bring the bike in Monday and they would replace the harness and pickups. As soon as I left the shop, the darn thing started working perfectly. I went back and the owner said that the distance between the front fork sensor and the magnet is critical. The manual says 1-5mm, which is awfully close, but, hey, its the manual.

The LBS owner and one of the senior wrenches told me they have never seen so many problems. Not wanting to leave any stone unturned, I have been scouring the classified ads for a sacrificial goat, just in case.

Anyone else have this many problems and is the distance between the sensor and magnet THAT critical?