Shimano FlightDeck SC-6501

cranky2

Mar 18, 2007
I've just bought a s/h Trek 5200 and it comes equipped with this computer. I'm not sure if its faulty or am I using it incorrectly. The selected gear graphics works ok, it displays current speed ok and also cadence but it does not measure average/max speed nor does it display distance travelled, they all show zero.

Pressing the hood buttons (ultegra) momentarily displays the current gear ratios but the mode doesn't change I need to do this with buttons a/b at the back of the computer itself.

Any ideas?

cranky2

I have a similar problem. Bought a used bike with FlightDeck SC-6500. The battery was dead so I replaced it. I used on-line SC-6501/2 instructions to program gearing, but when I spin the wheel, nothing happens. The magnet is within 2mm of the sensor and there are no breaks in the wire. What do I need to do to get the unit to display speed, distance, ride time, etc.
Thanks

To get my FlightDeck started, I have to press the B button. From that point on it works fine.

Cranky2, try removing the battery and then replace it. After you have re-installed the battery, use a toothpick to press the AC button on the back of the unit. That will have cleared all of the information in the unit. You will have to enter your gearing again, and your wheel diameter. See if this helps out. It worked for my unit when it had the same type of malfuntion.

Norcal_rider, all that I can suggest is that you try the same thing that I suggested to Cranky2. Are you certain that there is not a break in the pickup wiring? Are the contacts clean between the head and its holder? I cannot imagine why this unit would not work if everthing is good.

This is a good unit when it works right. I had a small malfunction caused by radio frequency interference that caused mine to freeze. Once I rebooted it, it was fine. Another RFI incident had my max speed at around 130 MPH. Although I know that it was wrong, it still felt kinda good to look at it. I really don't know why they have three digits available for the max speed. Maybe it is for when the unit is set for KPH?

Uh-oh. Tried using your suggestion to press AC button. Did it, but button depressed into unit and did not pop back out. Cannot enter data now. Any suggestions?

Many thanks for any help.

Flight Deck doesn't have automatic startup ! you need to press the grey plastic button on the back, which is not so accessible, im still puzzled about what the Shimano Designers were thinking of ??

Originally Posted by vspa .

Flight Deck doesn't have automatic startup !
you need to press the grey plastic button on the back, which is not so accessible,
im still puzzled about what the Shimano Designers were thinking of ??
FWIW. I'm not sure why you need to press the button on the back of the FlightDeck to get it to start ...

UNLESS you are using a wireless harness ...

• yes, I have limited first-hand knowledge of the wireless harness ... I reconfigured a wireless XTR harness to allow very limited functionality with a set of Campagnolo shifters
  • pressing the 'S' button (I forget, I presume it is the one on the LEFT shifter) should "start" the activate the FlightDeck which is hooked up to a wireless harness

BECAUSE with the hardwire harness the FlightDeck comes-to-life as soon as the magnet passes the sensor ...

So, something may be wrong with your harness (wireless OR wired).

Originally Posted by shadowrider .

... Tried using your suggestion to press AC button. Did it, but button depressed into unit and did not pop back out. Cannot enter data now. Any suggestions?
Take a "shirt" pin, safety pin, or needle AND [COLOR= #0000ff]try to re-center the button in the hole[/COLOR] by inserting the tip of the "pin" only as far as you need to in order to "grab" the button enough to move it laterally.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by cranky2 .

Pressing the hood buttons (ultegra) momentarily displays the current gear ratios but the mode doesn't change I need to do this with buttons a/b at the back of the computer itself.

Any ideas?
There may be a problem with the actual harness ... or, simply the contacts for the MODE side may be hinky and/or may simply need to be cleaned ([COLOR= #808080]peel the hood back, remove the module from the shifter's body, clean the contacts, re-insert[/COLOR]) ... or, simply the way the hood is making contact with the small button on the module may be "bad" (try the button directly when the hood.is peeled back).

Good luck.

Originally Posted by Norcal_rider .

I have a similar problem. Bought a used bike with FlightDeck SC-6500. The battery was dead so I replaced it. I used on-line SC-6501/2 instructions to program gearing, but [COLOR= #ff0000]when I spin the wheel, nothing happens[/COLOR]. The magnet is within 2mm of the sensor and there are no breaks in the wire. What do I need to do to get the unit to display speed, distance, ride time, etc.
Not to state the obvious, but it could be as simple as not having pushed the FlightDeck completely into its cradle ...

OR, you may need to buy a new harness.

alfeng said:
FWIW.  I'm not sure why you need to press the button on the back of the FlightDeck to get it to start ... UNLESS you are using a wireless harness ...  
yeah mine is wireless, and no it doesn't start up on wheel turning,

The battery on my wife's Flight Deck SC-6501 died and I replaced it and reentered all of the settings (PITA). It now displays speed and increments the odo but does not show accumulated distance or time of ride, they both remain at 0. Strange!
This is a wireless model. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Larry

yeah mine is wireless, and no it doesn't start up on wheel turning,
Or you can press the button on the left lever hood to start it or to stop it.

no, mine doesn't do anything unless you press the damn button on the back of the unit, after that everything functions, the cateyes i have start automatically with the wheel turning,

no, mine doesn't do anything unless you press the damn button on the back of the unit,
after that everything functions,
There is possibly something wrong with your wireless harness.

no, mine doesn't do anything unless you press the damn button on the back of the unit,
after that everything functions,
the cateyes i have start automatically with the wheel turning,
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfeng .

There is possibly something wrong with your wireless harness.

Mine is also wireless and won't start unless the button on the back of the unit is pressed. It is no big deal for me though. The button is easily accessable and sticks out far enough that I can press it with my finger, not recessed like the reset button. I have talked to a couple of other guys and they have to press the button too so I think that this is a design "feature", not a malfunctioning harness. It may be different now, the units that I know about are all 2007 and 2008 models.

I'd expect the next version of the FlightDeck to be much more user friendly and feature packed.

Originally Posted by kdelong .

Quote:

Mine is also wireless and won't start unless the button on the back of the unit is pressed. It is no big deal for me though. The button is easily accessable and sticks out far enough that I can press it with my finger, not recessed like the reset button. I have talked to a couple of other guys and they have to press the button too so I think that this is a design "feature", not a malfunctioning harness. It may be different now, the units that I know about are all 2007 and 2008 models.
Does the button on your left lever hood work for other functions? Pressing the left hood button and the left button on the back of the computer should do exactly the same thing.

yeah once you learn it it is no big deal but it is annoying the first time when you need to discover how to make it work, mine was installed during the winter, so you needed to make it ready to start before fitting your gloves, the button is too small for gloves,

Originally Posted by schellter .

Does the button on your left lever hood work for other functions? Pressing the left hood button and the left button on the back of the computer should do exactly the same thing.
The bike is currently in storage as it is my summer ride. If I remember correctly, pushing and holding the button for five seconds switches the menu to the virtual cadence and the max values. Just pushing the button breifly starts and stops the stopwatch feature. It does not start it.