Shimano free hub axle identification needed

Michael Press

Guest
How can I tell if a Shimano free hub will take an eight
speed cassette? I did not pay attention when I bought
it. It has no obvious identification marks. I run a
seven speed cassette. The view of the hub shell out
board of the NDS flange transverse to the axle has a
straight line silhouette.

--
Michael Press

On Oct 18, 10:10 pm, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> How can I tell if a Shimano free hub will take an eight
> speed cassette? I did not pay attention when I bought
> it. It has no obvious identification marks. I run a
> seven speed cassette. The view of the hub shell out
> board of the NDS flange transverse to the axle has a
> straight line silhouette.

Measure the freehub body from the flange that the
cassette stops against to the end. A 7 speed freehub
will be about 31mm and an 8/9 speed hub about 35mm.
A 7 speed cassette is about (6*5+2) = 32mm wide
and an 8 speed cassette about (7*4.8+2) = 35.6mm wide.

Ben

[email protected] wrote:
> On Oct 18, 10:10 pm, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
>> How can I tell if a Shimano free hub will take an eight
>> speed cassette? I did not pay attention when I bought
>> it. It has no obvious identification marks. I run a
>> seven speed cassette. The view of the hub shell out
>> board of the NDS flange transverse to the axle has a
>> straight line silhouette.

> Measure the freehub body from the flange that the
> cassette stops against to the end. A 7 speed freehub
> will be about 31mm and an 8/9 speed hub about 35mm.
> A 7 speed cassette is about (6*5+2) = 32mm wide
> and an 8 speed cassette about (7*4.8+2) = 35.6mm wide.
>
> Ben

better yet, the 7-speed hub has external threads...

"jim beam" <[email protected]> a écrit:

> better yet, the 7-speed hub has external threads...

Not all do - Alivio and STX are two examples without.

And some 8-speed bodies have external threads - Ultegra 6402 is an example.

James Thomson

"James Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "jim beam" <[email protected]> a écrit:
>
>> better yet, the 7-speed hub has external threads...

> Not all do - Alivio and STX are two examples without.
>
> And some 8-speed bodies have external threads - Ultegra 6402 is an
> example.
>
> James Thomson

beamboy caught in another ********...

In article
<[email protected]>,
"[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> On Oct 18, 10:10 pm, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> > How can I tell if a Shimano free hub will take an eight
> > speed cassette? I did not pay attention when I bought
> > it. It has no obvious identification marks. I run a
> > seven speed cassette. The view of the hub shell out
> > board of the NDS flange transverse to the axle has a
> > straight line silhouette.

> Measure the freehub body from the flange that the
> cassette stops against to the end. A 7 speed freehub
> will be about 31mm and an 8/9 speed hub about 35mm.
> A 7 speed cassette is about (6*5+2) = 32mm wide
> and an 8 speed cassette about (7*4.8+2) = 35.6mm wide.

OK. 31 mm. Thanks.

--
Michael Press

jim beam wrote:
> better yet, the 7-speed hub has external threads...

Maybe, maybe not. That isn't definitive.
Older external (UG) bodies can be 5, 6, 7, or first-year DA8. Current
seven HG bodies have no outside threads.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Oct 19, 4:28 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:
> >> Measure the freehub body from the flange that the
> >> cassette stops against to the end. A 7 speed freehub
> >> will be about 31mm and an 8/9 speed hub about 35mm.
> >> A 7 speed cassette is about (6*5+2) = 32mm wide
> >> and an 8 speed cassette about (7*4.8+2) = 35.6mm wide.

> jim beam wrote:
> > better yet, the 7-speed hub has external threads...

> Maybe, maybe not. That isn't definitive.
> Older external (UG) bodies can be 5, 6, 7, or first-year DA8. Current
> seven HG bodies have no outside threads.

Yes, but also, there are some bodies that accept
both Hyperglide and Uniglide cassettes, and some
of these are also 8-speed. Or at least, the 600
series FH-6402 mentioned by another poster is
(I have one right here).

The threads went away around the time they started
stepping down the splines to accomodate 11 tooth
cogs.

Ben

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 22:56:47 GMT, Michael Press <[email protected]>
wrote:

>In article
><[email protected]>,
> "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> On Oct 18, 10:10 pm, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > How can I tell if a Shimano free hub will take an eight
>> > speed cassette? I did not pay attention when I bought
>> > it. It has no obvious identification marks. I run a
>> > seven speed cassette. The view of the hub shell out
>> > board of the NDS flange transverse to the axle has a
>> > straight line silhouette.

>> Measure the freehub body from the flange that the
>> cassette stops against to the end. A 7 speed freehub
>> will be about 31mm and an 8/9 speed hub about 35mm.
>> A 7 speed cassette is about (6*5+2) = 32mm wide
>> and an 8 speed cassette about (7*4.8+2) = 35.6mm wide.

>OK. 31 mm. Thanks.

....or for more than you ever wanted to know about freehubs and
cassettes see:

http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

--
jeverett3<AT>sbcglobal<DOT>net (John V. Everett)