Shimano front derailleur info location

Robert

Guest
Where online can I fine the capacity of particular Shimano front
derailleurs?
The max & min tooth counts and travel if possible.

Thanks Robert

Robert wrote:
> Where online can I fine the capacity of particular Shimano front
> derailleurs?
> The max & min tooth counts and travel if possible.
>
> Thanks Robert

QBP's catalog lists relevant information in a consistent format. You
can look through it on the Harris page:
http://harriscyclery.net/page.cfm?PageID=49&action=list&Category=571&Brand=367&type=T
There's also a search page if you know what you're looking for:
http://harriscyclery.net/page.cfm?PageID=49&action=attributesearch&Category=571&type=T

Jeff

Robert wrote:
> Where online can I fine the capacity of particular Shimano front
> derailleurs?
> The max & min tooth counts and travel if possible.
>
> Thanks Robert

Both the two posts list good but conservative information. Derailleur
listed capacity are often much lower than actual practice.

JeffWills wrote:
> Robert wrote:
> > Where online can I fine the capacity of particular Shimano front
> > derailleurs?
> > The max & min tooth counts and travel if possible.
> >
> > Thanks Robert

> QBP's catalog lists relevant information in a consistent format. You
> can look through it on the Harris page:
> http://harriscyclery.net/page.cfm?PageID=49&action=list&Category=571&Brand=367&type=T
> There's also a search page if you know what you're looking for:
> http://harriscyclery.net/page.cfm?PageID=49&action=attributesearch&Category=571&type=T
>
> Jeff

Thank you both for the links. Just what I needed.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Robert wrote:
> > Where online can I fine the capacity of particular Shimano front
> > derailleurs?
> > The max & min tooth counts and travel if possible.
> >
> > Thanks Robert

> Both the two posts list good but conservative information. Derailleur
> listed capacity are often much lower than actual practice.

So, are you saying that one listed as 42T would function properly with
a 48T ring or ?????

Thanks
Or

Robert wrote:

> So, are you saying that one listed as 42T would function properly with
> a 48T ring or ?????
>
> Thanks

Sort of. A derailleur designed for a 42t chainring will need to sit
higher above the big chainring than one meant for a 48t ring, due to
the curvature of the cage. You might not be able to make a "48t"
derailleur work well on a bike with a 42t ring since "48t" derailleurs
tend to have longer cages and could interfere with the chainstay.

I think Pete's point is that, if you're willing to avoid extreme gear
combinations, you can exceed the capacity by a good bit. For instance:
I have a Shimano FD-R443 front derailleur on one of my bikes:
http://harriscyclery.net/page.cfm?PageID=49&action=details&sku=FD4436 .
It's listed as "22t capacity". Nevertheless, it shifts my 26/39/52
chainrings just fine- a 26 tooth span.

Jeff