Shimano Gears

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by A Yeung, Mar 31, 2003.

  1. A Yeung

    A Yeung Guest

    Good Day All I have been curious and wanted to know about the differences in models of Shimano
    shifter, derailleurs etc. like, Atlus, Decore, LX, XT, XTR and others, Is the highest model get a
    better shift than the other or just the weight , costruction material that made the difference. It
    seems the highest the model,the more you have to pay. As I am thinking of changing my bike's gears
    and it is worth it ? Many thanks for your comments and advice.

    Anthony Yeung

    Tags:

  2. A Yeung wrote:

    > Good Day All I have been curious and wanted to know about the differences in models of Shimano
    > shifter, derailleurs etc. like, Atlus, Decore, LX, XT, XTR and others, Is the highest model get a
    > better shift than the other or just the weight , costruction material that made the difference.

    I think you will find that different models are/were built for different purposes; racing,
    kmart/target/toysRus, touring, mtb, etc.

    Being a tourer, I prefer steel with the longest cage (allows widest gear range) on the rear. Fronts
    can either pull to highest or lowest amd I again like long cage and widest swing.

    YMMV

    > It seems the highest the model,the more you have to pay.

    As previously mentioned, you could be paying for the image associated with the name. If you do buy
    top of the range, please let me know it the high quality parts really do attract the chics {:).
    OTOH, its probably not worth the effort.

    --
    Terry Collins {:)}}} email: terryc at woa.com.au www: http://www.woa.com.au Wombat Outdoor
    Adventures <Bicycles, Computers, GIS, Printing,

    ,
    > costruction material that made the difference.

    Higher-end parts tend to shift more smoothly and precisely than the low end ones, and they do so
    with less weight, and generally better durability. At some points on the line, you get better
    features, too (9 cogs on the rear, etc).

    > It seems the highest the model,the more you have to pay.

    Yes, the higher-quality stuff costs more to make, and is probably made in smaller quantities, too.

    > As I am thinking of changing my bike's gears and it is worth it ?

    It would depend a lot on the age of the bike, how much you are prepared to spend (drivetrain
    upgrades can be very expensive), and whether you really need the upgrade (could your money be better
    spent on other things?). It may well be better to replace the bike outright, there isn't much point
    in upgrading a low end bike with high end parts. YMMV, of course.

    --Chris

  4. Blind Freddy

    Blind Freddy Guest

    "Chris Bennetts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    | "A Yeung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | > Good Day All I have been curious and wanted to know about the differences in models
    of
    | > Shimano shifter, derailleurs etc. like, Atlus, Decore, LX, XT, XTR and others, Is the highest
    | > model get a better shift than the other or just the
    weight
    | ,
    | > costruction material that made the difference.
    |
    | Higher-end parts tend to shift more smoothly and precisely than the low
    end
    | ones, and they do so with less weight, and generally better durability. At some points on the
    | line, you get better features, too (9 cogs on the rear, etc).

    According to my Shimano 2003 catalogue the XTR front derailleur, crankset and rapid-fire shifters
    are heavier than the XT versions.

    | > It seems the highest the model,the more you have to pay.
    |
    | Yes, the higher-quality stuff costs more to make, and is probably made in smaller quantities, too.
    |
    | > As I am thinking of changing my bike's gears and it is worth it ?
    |
    | It would depend a lot on the age of the bike, how much you are prepared to spend (drivetrain
    | upgrades can be very expensive), and whether you really need the upgrade (could your money be
    | better spent on other things?). It
    may
    | well be better to replace the bike outright, there isn't much point in upgrading a low end bike
    | with high end parts. YMMV, of course.
    |
    | --Chris

    Marty

  5. "Blind Freddy" <[email protected](spam)> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > According to my Shimano 2003 catalogue the XTR front derailleur, crankset and rapid-fire shifters
    > are heavier than the XT versions.

    I didn't know that. But as a general rule, the higher you go, the less weight you get.

    --Chris

  6. "Blind Freddy" <[email protected](spam)> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Chris Bennetts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > |
    > According to my Shimano 2003 catalogue the XTR front derailleur, crankset and rapid-fire shifters
    > are heavier than the XT versions.

    Some possible explanations. The new XTR cranks include their new BB design with BB axle as part of
    the crank. This adds weight that in XT is probably measured separately as the BB.

    XTR shifters are built into the brake levers for STI style braking and shifting with one lever. Thus
    the heavier weight may include the brake lever also.

    Chers Peter

  7. Blind Freddy

    Blind Freddy Guest

    "Peter Signorini" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    | "Blind Freddy" <[email protected](spam)> wrote in message
    | news:[email protected]...
    | >
    | > "Chris Bennetts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | > news:[email protected]...
    | > |
    | > According to my Shimano 2003 catalogue the XTR front derailleur,
    crankset
    | > and rapid-fire shifters are heavier than the XT versions.
    |
    | Some possible explanations. The new XTR cranks include their new BB design with BB axle as part of
    | the crank. This adds weight that in XT is probably measured separately as the BB.
    |
    | XTR shifters are built into the brake levers for STI style braking and shifting with one lever.
    | Thus the heavier weight may include the brake
    lever
    | also.
    |
    | Chers Peter

    Not sure about the bottom bracket but the XT levers also includes the brake lever and is 2 grams
    lighter. XT is 410 grams and XTR is 412 grams.

    Marty

  8. Mpd

    Mpd Guest

    "Blind Freddy" <[email protected](spam)> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Not sure about the bottom bracket but the XT levers also includes the
    brake
    > lever and is 2 grams lighter. XT is 410 grams and XTR is 412 grams.
    >
    > Marty

    fairly comprehensive guide on component weights can be found at http://weightweenies.starbike.com

    I still reckon if I could lose that 5kg spare tire it'd be cheaper than an xtr grouppo

  9. Blind Freddy

    Blind Freddy Guest

    "MPD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    | "Blind Freddy" <[email protected](spam)> wrote in message
    | news:[email protected]...
    | >
    | > Not sure about the bottom bracket but the XT levers also includes the
    | brake
    | > lever and is 2 grams lighter. XT is 410 grams and XTR is 412 grams.
    | >
    | > Marty
    |
    | fairly comprehensive guide on component weights can be found at http://weightweenies.starbike.com
    |
    | I still reckon if I could lose that 5kg spare tire it'd be cheaper than an xtr grouppo

    I agree. Money spent at Jenny Craig would be money far better spent Perhaps the next Shimano upgrade
    will be a Shimano Calorie Counter! (Get the Carbon model).

    Marty

  10. Chester1

    Chester1 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2003
    [A bike mechanic once told me if the group starts with A, give it the "A". Maybe that counts that one out?
    Regards.

  11. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Chester1 wrote:
    > [A bike mechanic once told me if the group starts with A, give it the "A". Maybe that counts that
    > one out? Regards.

    That covers half the range! Altus, Acera, Alivio. The mechanic is a gear snob. Maybe he doesnt like
    them because they are cheaper to replace than to repair??

    --
    make nospam into oz to reply.